Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got snakeskin Tech Spec gripster pads. I got the set with 2 sheets so I could cut out my own shapes. The direction say to bevel the edges with a bench grinder, but there is no way I am going to accomplish that and make them look good.
So, the question is has anyone cut out their own and left the edges straight? Any problems from leaving them that way??

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Those appear to be pretty thick from what I've seen. I'm guessing a square edge might lift the edge if you caught it wrong. Might look a little odd like that, but not sure how to make a nice looking bevel, though.

EDIT: You might find it's tough to make a nice cut on a soft, grippy material.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You could adhere the grip to something else like a piece of painted wood temporarily to hold the grip flat while forming the edge. I would take a grease pencil and mark an inner line parallel to the edge as far up as you want to go for your bevel. A dremel or even a box cutter may work better than the grinder, not sure. If you can cut wood, you could shape the grips then trace the pattern onto the wood and cut the wood as an exact template so you can work on the edge all around the circumference. If you have extra material to work with, you can try various cutting options. Maybe you can use a coarse file or sandpaper and then use a finer grade. Worth trying. I agree with Bighammer about the thick edge catching on your pants. Since I'm a woodworker, I would make a template out of wood and try a champer cutter with a bearing to follow the template curve to cut the rubber, but I'm not sure if the rubber would cut or just burn. This will take some experimenting to find the best way to cut a small bevel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried a file and razor blade and neither one worked well at all.
I found a bench grinder that was a little more user friendly for me and managed to bevel the edges decently :)
Later this week, when it is warmer, I'll put them on and post pics :D

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Glad to hear. I bought Tech Spec grips for my Triumph and after installing I realized that my knees were no where near the tank sides but lower on body side panels. I should have bought the sheets like you and made my own. They look good, but do nothing.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I used a small grind stone on my dremel tool that worked okay. I definitely do not have the patience to make it look really pretty.

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
Glad to hear. I bought Tech Spec grips for my Triumph and after installing I realized that my knees were no where near the tank sides but lower on body side panels. I should have bought the sheets like you and made my own. They look good, but do nothing.
you are aware that they're not permanently adhered and can be relocated?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Those look good! You pulled it off well. :rock:

I've had a few people ask if they could buy a sheet of my HammerGrip material, but cutting this kind of stuff is sort of tricky. I can usually talk them into sending the pattern/idea and let me do the work for them.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
you are aware that they're not permanently adhered and can be relocated?
The tank grips are shaped and sized for the tank and not the side panels. A custom pattern would be needed, hence my comment. I think when I bought the grips I understood how they work. I just didn't pay attention to my position on the bike. A taller rider would be able to use the tank grips.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts