Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.. Is there a way to keep that muffler pipes shinny and new?? I always look at the harley bikes and their mufflers look awesome! but when I look at the SVs you always see that brownish stain along the pipes.

Can they be kept polished or is it a lost cause?

-Rámesis

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Lost cause... if you want them to stay pretty whil still being able to ride, you can get them jet-hot coated

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah makes sense.. Thanks for your replies :) I guess it is a lost cause..

·
Registered
476 Posts
ramesis said:
Yeah makes sense.. Thanks for your replies :) I guess it is a lost cause..
there was a thread about this a while back. i don't have the link, but i remember seeing someone who polished his out to be real shiny and looking almost like a mirror.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ramesis said:
Question.. Is there a way to keep that muffler pipes shinny and new?? I always look at the harley bikes and their mufflers look awesome! but when I look at the SVs you always see that brownish stain along the pipes.

Can they be kept polished or is it a lost cause?

-Rámesis
Mothers Billet Metal Polish works pretty good.... but it takes a LONG TIME!

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stranger said:
it's because the harley's spend more time broken down in someone's garage than actually on the road.
:roll:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
ALL pipes blue or tarnish. Cruisers and Harleys included.

What the cruiser set does is put chrome heat shields over the pipes. The actual pipes blue like mad - but the heat shields do not.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ruefus said:
ALL pipes blue or tarnish. Cruisers and Harleys included.

What the cruiser set does is put chrome heat shields over the pipes. The actual pipes blue like mad - but the heat shields do not.

Aha! So that is their secret! ;)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
But, there's no reason you can't keep yours shiny. It's a major job the first time and then a smaller job if you stay on top of it, apparently. Can't be bothered myself, I just got titanium headers which blue up very prettily :)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Harley and other cruisers usually have chrome heat shield's that go almost the entire length of the pipe. The section you see doesn't see the extreme heat that blues or yellows the pipe underneath.

LOL, I actually use Honda Spray cleaner on my entire bike, all bikes. :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
ramesis said:
Thanks Benda!!

That simihrome seems to do the job !
Hey that's my bike and header pipe. I'll be doing my again later on today. Got to keep her looking good till I get a belly pan.

:)

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
the head pipes are stainless steel and will turn a light golden brown. advantage is they will not rust. chrome muffler is far enough away from the heat it should not blue.
try a book titled THE NATURAL FORMULA BOOK FOR HOME AND YARD published by Rodale Press, Emmaus, Pennsylvania. for example: 1 part salt, 1 part flour, 1 part vinegar worked as good as Brasso on the handle of my Buck knife. be sure to wash with soapy water after to remove the residue. the book also has home mixes for other types of metal polish plus tons of other good home cleaners for wood, drain pipes, etc.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
blueing is actually cause by poorly tuned engines. reason why harley pipes always blue because harleys always run like crap. typically its cause when the bike runs to lean or to rich. but it can also be caused by the timing being off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts