Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Target Fixation works both ways. You just have to have the presence of mind to look at the good part of the road, or trail, instead of the big scarry thing that you dont want to hit. Years of dirt bike riding has helped condition me (somewhat) for this. Sometimes I still do the lame thing and watch myself run right over a pothole.

A local OHV area called Pozo, the forest service put some bricks in the trail that looked like a tick tack toe game # on a steep hill to stop erosion. They did the trick, except right next to the blocks there were huge ruts, sometimes almost two feet deep. If you let your eyes stray from the trail, the ruts would suck you iin.

So, fix on the good part of the road. The part next to the dead opossum, between the potholes, without tar snakes, or a pile of gravel, and you will come out alot better.

G

·
Target fixation is a simple, unavoidable hand-eye 'bug' in our brains. Just make your target a 'safe' one. If you see a pothole(or debris, ect) comming up quick, just immediately fixate about 1' to the side of it for a second, ignore the pothole from then on, and you will get there in time to miss it every time-fixate on where you want to be, not where you dont... ;) I hear some peeps I ride with that say they're 'good enough' to not suffer from it(or other things we 'normal' humans do ::) ). To prove to them that there are some things you simply can not get 'away' from; I tell those 'supermen' to do another simple hand-eye coordination test: lift your right leg up and rotate it in a clockwise circle, then watch and 'draw' a 2' high # "6" in front of you with your right index finger......whoops!

The absolute MONSTER link to just about every tip you could ever need, including everything from TF to braking in turns, to reasons why you should have a very small keychain- http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
You never know when TF is going to contribute. Case in point:

Yesterday I was on my way home and stopped at a T-intersection with stop signs. I'd put my foot down and had been waved through to turn left by the car in the far lane (other side of the 'T'. As I executed my left turn (down the vertical portion of the 'T', the car coming from direction never bothered to look my way - or stop completely. A case of car turning left in front of the bike.

In hindsight - I should have watched this driver more carefully, but no one is perfect. I digress...

I realize he's not stopping - and all I'm seeing is sky-blue Jetta bumper. I manage to find the horn and stand the bike up a bit - not enough to truly evade should he not slow down. My problem was the surprise - so I fixated on the bumper. Luckily, Mr. Moron in the Jetta (who never even turned his head - ever) slammed on his brakes and I was able to get by with a foot or two of clearance. The passenger must've yelled.

I've always thought, and still believe that I'm well trained to avoid TF. Bottom line - don't kid yourself. Unexpected situations (read: Total Surprise) will cause it.

Keep your eyes open and do your best to avoid the situation at all.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Some great advice here. I too thoguht I was too good too cool etc... for something so stupid but I am not. I partially posted this thread b/c of a near death experience involving semi tires. Big, gring you into bone semi tires. I was merging onto a interstate on a real steep lean angle 20 mph on ramp with a very short merge area. I pop up ont of my lean angle eye eye with a set of really big scarry semi tires. Like some kind of spinning wheel of death luring me in I am just staring and staring at them. I snap out and realize this truck is headed for a off ramp that is the type that butts up against my on ramp. Now why is it that in my turbo charged Miata I just live for and look forward to moments just like this and have had moments just like this with NO brain lock target fixation whatsoever. I blip the throttle on Miata, find a lower gear, stump the gas to get my turbo all fired up and I just smoked me another semi. The SV which is way more capable of the same function and I freeze. I just dont see why it onely happends on my bike? My Miata would be a coffin had a semi run over me jsut as much as if I was on the bike but my brain isn't working that way in the Miata. I do all sorts of dangerous stuff, sort of driving my Miata under the trailer of a semi which it would fit and I have been tempted. I dont know but I need to get over this. Stuff like potholes dead or live animal and I am a champ at dodging that stuff I make a sport out of it but throw something in there that could kill or squash me and I get TF..............

·
Registered
597 Posts
I TF all the time, car or bike it doesn't matter. Just leaning to control it is the key.

Like fear, we all feel it. It's what you do with that fear that counts. Freeze or Act : you choose.

G

·
kevinb120 said:
another simple hand-eye coordination test: lift your right leg up and rotate it in a clockwise circle, then watch and 'draw' a 2' high # "6" in front of you with your right index finger......whoops!

??? That wasn't even slightly difficult. What am I doing wrong? How high do I have to raise my leg? How big's the circle?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts