Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rode through patch of new pavement (freshly filled pothole). some of the yet unset tar kicked up on undertail and over the top of my OEM rear hugger. :mad: tried to pick it off/wash it off today with poor results. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
684 Posts
you can by a "bug and tar" cleaner some have good results. one of the best all around cleaners i have in my garage comes to mind and ive used it on tar -de natured alcohol

·
Registered
434 Posts
I read somewhere once that peanut butter works.

If you don't wanna try that De-Solve-It makes a bug and tar remover that is paint and plastics safe. can get it at any home depot or simialer store.

N

·
0 Posts
Since it's petro-based, I think WD-40 or kerosene will dissolve it enough to wipe off.

:)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Caredulw/ kerosene. If you don't wash it right off it can fade your clear coat(found that out the hard way)

D

·
0 Posts
simple green worked great for me, just bought another spray bottle of it from autozone

·
Registered
67 Posts
Goof Off may work. Sure worked for getting those sticky factory stickers off my bike.

You could try googling Autoglym Tar Remover. It's supposedly safe on plastics...

L

·
0 Posts
+1 on the WD on a soft cloth. Do the tar removal first, before you wash your bike.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I want to add something - just want to put a little more emphasis on the "use sparingly" and "immediately wash off" in my previous post.

A friend of mine tells me a story of washing his dad's car when he was a kid. He says he was doing what he *thought* he saw his dad do a million times. He took a can of WD-40 and literally coated the bottom 6 inches or so of the paint, and began scrubbing it with a rag. Took the paint right off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use turtle wax, tar and bug remover. I've used it to remove the sticker goop, and tar from my bike with no damage to paint at all.

goo gone may work too, but never tried it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts