Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well did my tappet check @ 15,000 miles on my 04 sv...everything was well within tolerance.
I kinda knew it would be but it was fun anyway.

I don't know about you, but I like the stripped down look.  ;D



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
you didn't tear the entire bike down just to do a 15,000 mile service did you...Don't scare me like that ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
enrico vespa said:
What exactly is a tappet check?
The valve clearance inspection.

bbmxta said:
you didn't tear the entire bike down just to do a 15,000 mile service did you...Don't scare me like that ;D
Well, I had the front end and plastics off for damage repair. For the valve service I went ahead and took off the radiator and gas tank for ease of working.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,625 Posts
Good reminder, I need to do mine while its up for winter modding. Kinda dont want to cause it seems to be a trend that they are well within tolerance at 15k (I'm at 23k now), but it would make me feel better for next riding season to know I can rack up plenty more miles worry free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
evilbologna said:
Good reminder, I need to do mine while its up for winter modding. Kinda dont want to cause it seems to be a trend that they are well within tolerance at 15k (I'm at 23k now), but it would make me feel better for next riding season to know I can rack up plenty more miles worry free.
It's a really EZ job once you can get to the heads... Well as long as they're in spec. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think you really "have to" replace the cover gaskets as long as you don't break them taking them off. However, I did for peace of mind and it cost me about $40.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
treoff said:
I don't think you really "have to" replace the cover gaskets as long as you don't break them taking them off. However, I did for peace of mind and it cost me about $40.
Exactly what I needed to know. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can do it with the tank and radiator in place, just understand that is more stuff to just get in the way.
Kinda like tyeing one hand behind your back, it can get done, but it won't be fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
I prefer to take the tank off. I have a tendency to bang big metal tools into shinney blue things.
amen... more things i can keep from scratching the better but with my luck i'll take the tank off and drop it DOH!
 
G

·
evilbologna said:
Good reminder, I need to do mine while its up for winter modding. Kinda dont want to cause it seems to be a trend that they are well within tolerance at 15k (I'm at 23k now), but it would make me feel better for next riding season to know I can rack up plenty more miles worry free.
Warning! Two were out of spec. on mine at 16k. Check it.
 
G

·
evilbologna said:
Bikes already up on blocks next in my room, just a matter of getting around to it now. How far out of spec?
Dunno exactly- I didn't do it myself (lazy SOB, I know) couldn't be out of commission long enough to find out the shims I needed and I sure wasn't going to buy a whole kit. He said they were 'a little' out of spec.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,625 Posts
toddpnewton said:
Dunno exactly- I didn't do it myself (lazy SOB, I know) couldn't be out of commission long enough to find out the shims I needed and I sure wasn't going to buy a whole kit. He said they were 'a little' out of spec.
Pfffff...a little....nonsense. Regardless mine will be checked over winter, and since its inside, it wont be racking up any more mileage until I do. I hope its within spec, I really dont feel like doing more than just pull the heads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Another heads up. If you find clearances are out of spec www.hotcamsinc.com has 2 shim kits (depending on shim diameter) priced at $90.

Great deal compared to OEM kit per ronayers.com.
Part Number: 12800-05830
Description: SHIM SET,TAPPET
Source: SUZUKI
Price: $404.08
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
PREZ said:
Another heads up. If you find clearances are out of spec www.hotcamsinc.com has 2 shim kits (depending on shim diameter) priced at $90.

Great deal compared to OEM kit per ronayers.com.
Part Number:  12800-05830 
Description:  SHIM SET,TAPPET 
Source:  SUZUKI 
Price:  $404.08 
Wow.... great heads up brother.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top