Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im guessing he downshifted at a high rpm and caused the rear tire to skip.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Doesn't look like a real tankslapper, just a little wobble. Looks like the rear lost traction and he panicked and froze.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Matoo said:
Doesn't look like a real tankslapper, just a little wobble. Looks like the rear lost traction and he panicked and froze.
yeah........... i see the same thing........ rear lost traction for just a sec, dont know why he couldnt retain control......

·
Registered
105 Posts
yea if you see his left foot, i think he switched gears right before or when the camera caught it. but also looks like he was going in the turn too fast with no real lean, you see how he continues to be on the edge of the street when he should be starting to go towards the apex?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had a similar experience not long ago. I wasn't thinking as I entered a group of tight turns near my house. I didn't position my feet on the pegs like I normally do and as I enter the first turn, my toe slider hits the pavement. I panic and stand the bike up. I barely get it back down before running off the road on the other side. If a car had been coming, I could have been killed. (note to self) This is why you gotta pay attention and stay alert.  ;D

I was thinking about 100 other things when I should have been thinking about the turns ahead. Needless to say, after my butt unpuckered, I slowed the pace a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dreaded "target fixation". I once made a turn too wide, and remembering not to "fixate on a target" saved my ass. The "look where you want to go" mantra sure comes in handy, i looked AWAY from those parked cars, that's where I went.

N

·
0 Posts
To me, it looked like a video of someone's first (and probably last!) attempt at riding. The rider started off shaky in the way he let the clutch out, then it looked like he forgot how to work the throttle and tried to brake simultaneously, saw the wall and bugged out/ forgot (or just didn't know) how to steer. What rider would try to 'Fred Flintstone' the bike to a stop in a situation like that?

Hope he didn't hurt anything too seriously.

:)

EDIT: After reading everyone's else's comments I went back and rewatched it and realized I was all wrong. So nevermind...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Started off with target fixation that led him to get to close to the right side of the road , when he panics , he hit the wrong break (rear) and did nothing to try and make that turn.
I know it sounds like a lot to do in such a short time , but as long as your not day dreaming when your riding , it can all be done right to prevent stuff like this.
He was lucky, i thought he was going over the brick wall and catch some very intense air.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
One thing is absolutely certain, he won't have to worry about THAT bike doing anything quirky again. ::)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Looks like he shifted (watch his left hand & foot) - rear tire slows too much, he was already stiff-arming the bike - wobble, wobble....and..... Looks like a bit of inexperience based on his technique and reactions.

Had he done nothing - I think he'd have been fine. The wobble made him run wider, then his foot is off to 'steady', equalling more loss of control (and his weight being forced over the bike's seat - instead of to the inside, where it might have done some good). He knew what he needed - he just did it wrong. Somewhere along the line he looked at the curb and wall, got all bug-eyed, fixated and......*WHAM*

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
no doubt-- rear slipped on bad downshift, then target fixation on the wall. *bang*

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Not a tank slapper. Watch his front suspension compress suddenly before he loses it. Looks to me like he grabbed a handfull of front brake then let it go as the front started to slip. At this point the wall was inevitable.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i just watched it a few dozen times and this is what i see:

he down-shifts, releases the clutch and the engine breaking compresses the front. it releases, starts the wobble, his foot comes off the peg and there's the wall.

he could have come out of it, but the target fixation killed him. luckily he landed on the street and not on whatever was on the other side of the wall

·
Registered
498 Posts
I saw this earlier, had the same reaction as everyone else, lost my connection and couldn't find the post again, so now I have nothing to add.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Started off with target fixation that led him to get to close to the right side of the road , when he panics , he hit the wrong break (rear) and did nothing to try and make that turn.
Actually he probably hit the front brake as a panic reaction to seenig that wall. The front end compression and wobble is too sudden to have been caused by rear brake or a bad downshift.

Although a bad downshift could have been the start of it, causing him to panic and hit the front brake.

Anyway, whatever he did to start it, the end was a pure newby mistake caused by target fixation. Remember, the bike goes where you look so look where you want to go. Can't say that enough times.

One thing I noticed is he is covering the clutch. That probably indicates he is doing the same thing with the brake which is a bad idea. Any sudden panic will result in an involuntary gripping of the bars and thus the front brake, which never has a good result. Braking should be an intentional act, not a reflexive one.

BTW I'll bet that HURT. A LOT!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts