Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals - I'm finally gonna have some stuff painted - tank included. My question is, what is the best way to disconnect the tank and finally, what is the SAFEST way to handle the tank after it is removed? The reason I ask this question is because I've heard people talk about gas vapor build-up in the tank with the fuel entirely drained - Thanks

Sid

·
Registered
278 Posts
Start with 2 bolts up near front under the upper triple (4mm allen wrench). Take the seat off and the tank will lift up after that. There are 2 more bolts near back of tank (12mm socket) leave those on until you get the electrical and petcock unhooked, then unbolt the tank.

There are 4 connectors on the tank, 3 hoses (2 from petcock) and 1 electrical.

First hose on the petcock (the little one), just pop it off... nothing else required. I usually disconnect the other hose (big one) from the petcock at the fuel pump, its on the throttle side of bike next to frame, just easier to get to.

Electrical should be easy to find, disconnect that.

Last hose is the drain, if you unbolt the tank and just give a little extra pull it will come off on its own, sometimes they can be stuck a little but it will come off. Its on the back of the tank near the hinge if you really want to take it off before you pull tank off.

If your having it painted, you might want to consider removing the gas cap and the petcock from the tank so they dont get damaged and its easier to work with. If your really worried about it, use compressed air to blow the tank out. Of course you could always just light a match and let nature take care of it for you :D (kidding of course)

Hope that helps :)

G

·
a trick i learned was to set it outside and upside down for a few hours making sure all the gas is out of it then take a lighter (one with the longstick end thing) and try and light the fill hole. if nothing ignites try a little deeper. keep going till youve blown your tank/hand into pieces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.