Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the "tips and tricks" section of this forum, and saw one person said that the tank warning sticker can't be removed, because its under clearcoat. Is this true?

I hate looking at that sticker...I want it off.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
it has a clear sticker on top of it. i peeled that off already and am slowly working on the sticker itself. haven't dragged the hair dryer into the garage yet to finish the job

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
You can remove the Warning Sticker.....

but some people were asking about the "S" on the tank....... thats clearcoated over......

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. So is there anything recommended in removing the sticker without screwing up the nice paint job?

·
Registered
127 Posts
just heat it up real good with a hairdryer and it will peel right off. i got all my stickers off in like 15 min or so i think. it was a while a go now so i might be exaggerating a bit :D
good luck

·
Registered
482 Posts
danfam17 said:
just heat it up real good with a hairdryer and it will peel right off. i got all my stickers off in like 15 min or so i think. it was a while a go now so i might be exaggerating a bit :D
good luck
;-) just a bit. This is the best method, IMHO. I used goo gone sticker remover, and that took FOREVER. When I reached the tank sticker, I tossed the goo gone and used the ol' hairdryer and a plastic scraper (NOT A SHARP ONE) and it was off after a bit of work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
after a bit of work???
maby mine wernt put on as well or something, but all i did was heat em up real good (highest heat setting), took the heat off and slowly peeled from one corner. only ripped two of them. still have them all saved on cardboard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
All I did was let me bike sit in the sun for a couple of hours on a hot day to warm up. They all just peeled with little to no effort. Once I got a corner, the rest was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Use the boss' hairdrier on the main sticker bit.Then pop into homebase diy and ask for a can of"Sticky stuff remover".Thats its tradename! Its a spray on gel which gets all the glue off with ease and doesn't damage paintwork.Then polish to finish off.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yeah, back from the grave big time. Wonder if these techniques work for taking off the previous owners ugly tank pad

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm the sole distributor for the Jim Dunlop high performance sticker removal tool. 100% Nylon and made in USA! The 1MM model is just $9.95 + $2.95 shipping. Hurry while supplies last!

·
Registered
103 Posts
guitar pick, never thought of that one, but the 11 bucks seems a bit excessive, i'll hook everybody up with one for the low price of 8 bucks shipped, lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the hairdryer and goo-be-gone method to get the sticker off my tank and it worked great. Now I'd like to get the ones on the fairings off. I'm concerned that since the fairings are plastic that they will not be as resilient to sticker removal or the gunk remover.

Has anyone had experience with this issue? Should I be worried about damaging the plastic?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
You have an '02? Try a fingernail. The stickers peel right off the fairing. I don't know if it's the same on a second gen, though.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Get your girlfriend into the garage and put her 20$ accrylics to work!

·
Registered
788 Posts
all of my stickers that were on clearcoat peeled right off... the frame ones, and the one on the textured plastic next to the speedo... not so much. Then again, I was doing this in around 40 degree weather. Hairdryer helped a bit, but it was still a PITA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts