Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An update on the tank leak post I made last week. Turns out the culprit wasn’t the fuel pump o-ring (though many times it is).
Hit the bottom of the tank with the air blower which removed a bit of paint and revealed the true culprit. A small crack in a formed bend. JBWeld “Tank Weld” seems to have patched it. Sanded all the paint off, roughed the surface with 80 grit, cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol, and then the Tank Weld. Several days and a track day, all seems to be good.
No rust in the tank, just looks like a stressed section that finally fatigued..
Water Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting spot for a failure. I wonder how common this is? For background info, what’s the history on the bike; and accidents, salvage, prior disassembly, etc?

best of luck with the repair.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting spot for a failure. I wonder how common this is? For background info, what’s the history on the bike; and accidents, salvage, prior disassembly, etc?

best of luck with the repair.
No, it's never been crashed. OEM tank, first time it's ever been off the bike. Only thing we could think of was that the die may have grabbed a little in that bend when they formed it and the stress fatigued area finally cracked completely through. It was a very clean break, hoping it stops there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Don't I recall that there was a warranty recall for a tank leak on some models?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't I recall that there was a warranty recall for a tank leak on some models?
2006 being the latest year affected, and only California models. Something about a bracket welded to the inside of the tank causing a crack point.
Mine is an '09 48 State model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts