Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how often it happens? i have a small magnetic motoguzzi tank bag which i use daily. i'm always paranoid i'll come out and it be missing. occasionally i'll hook it to the 2nd helmet loop under the rear cowl to keep it safe, but that doesn't help with the contents within. how many have come out to there bike after running in someplace to find there bags stolen/rummaged through? usually it's just my lunch for the day.. still would suck..

·
Registered
331 Posts
I guess I don't leave anything in my tank bag worth stealing. You'll probably find a water bottle, some snacks and maybe a USB cable for charging my phone and that's about it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'll leave it there once in a while but I'll grab everything inside thats valuable, wallet, cellphone, keys, etc

I live in Chicago so you can leave garbage outside and someone will steal it

I remember Danimal (i think?) had a top case bolted to his rear seat and someone jimmied the lock when he went into a gas station to pay/get something

top case is much more secure than a magnetic tank bag, a tank bag can be pulled off in 3 seconds and no onewill even see it

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I always take my tankbag with me.

I have left my tailbag attached to the bike with just water bottles and a microfiber cloth in it, but it's strapped to the seat, so I don't fear it growing legs as much as a tankbag that isn't really attached. Then again, it's only elastic cord, so who knows.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I always bring it with me, this is NYC after all.

I did leave my $200+ gloves on the bike though a few weeks ago (forgot they were on top of the tank), and when I realized it hours later, I ran down to the bike, and they were suprisingly still there. I guess some people expect a beatdown by a biker lol

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I'll leave it there once in a while but I'll grab everything inside thats valuable, wallet, cellphone, keys, etc

I live in Chicago so you can leave garbage outside and someone will steal it

I remember Danimal (i think?) had a top case bolted to his rear seat and someone jimmied the lock when he went into a gas station to pay/get something

top case is much more secure than a magnetic tank bag, a tank bag can be pulled off in 3 seconds and no onewill even see it
It was actually connected to a rear rack, but same result...jacked by some hillbillies in TN. :(

Funny thing is, I have never removed my tankbag in all the years riding. It normally has a nice camera in it, but MOST of the time when I am away from the bike, I take the camera with me. The other things I carry in my tankbag (first aid, audio backup cables, rain cover, Monkeybutt powder,microfiber cloth/plastic polish, flashlight, bottle of water, snacks and spare face shield) aren't worth crap to a thief.

Having a strap mount tank bag I think would be more secure, as most thieves don't like to steal ANYTHING that requires some thought/and/or time to figure out.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
When I lived in Boston, my magnetic tank bag always came with me. Now in Jersey in the burbs, I have a strap bag on my Triumph which I leave on the bike. Anything important in the bag comes with me. So far, no prying eyes or loose hands on my Triumph bag.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I always thought a tank bag would be a super easy target as well. I have left all kinds of stuff unsecured on or near my bike with no issues. The general public is more honest than we give them credit for. Though, it only takes one ***hole to ruin it. I take everything with me when practical.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Maybe I'm just lazy but it's too much work removing all my goodies and stuff everytime I get off the bike.

I've left my GPS, radar, helmets, gear and all that on the bike and never once had an issue. The good guy upstairs provides and will keep an eye out for me and if that person needs to steal it that bad, I'm sure they need it more than I do.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
To Do List

1: Find where JVS parks
2:
3: Big profit

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
No, it's too late. He knows my weakness. Pie is not something I can simply "leave alone". For me, pie is a way of life. Note the shirts we had made up:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I left the bag on the bike empty once for a 2 minute run to the store. It was gone when I got out. Now it comes with me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I left my backpack sitting ontop of my bag after going inside the store to take a doodoo [I was on my way to a camping/trappping/hunting/gunrange thing. I walked out. and some maybe 20-25 year old college student was rummaging around my bag. with my buck knife in his hand. I told him to put it back, and I wouldn't call the cops. He kinda just stared at me blankly. I walked up to my bike with my key in my hand, and simply said again. "Please I need that for this weekend." he said he was sorry an wouldn't ever do it again. I wasn't even being hostile. I've been robbed before, while losing your stuff isn't fun. it also isn't the end of the world.

Kid drove away in a old beat up honda civic with a UCF campus sticker. and I left it at that.

I wonder why he didn't try to steal my broken down Ruger SR-556. It was all packed in a tiny little easy case. Maybe he didn't have enough time to open it, to find out what was inside.

I leave my helmet on my handlebars still tho. and my bag, If I'm on trips. Can't bring a centerfire into a walmart just to take a dump...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts