Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I really wanna get some luggage so I don't have to use a backpack all the time. Not to mention my backpack doesn't hold much. Would love something that would be able to hold a gallon of milk and some groceries for instance, for those times the old lady has me rushing to the store for baby supplies. I'd prefer something that I could take off the bike and use as perhaps a backpack. Not mandatory but preferable. I doubt there will be too many times that I'll wanna leave the luggage on the bike. Paranoid of getting stuff stolen I guess. Do tank bags harm the paint on the tank or affect your steering? Just lookin' for general opinions of what works or doesn't and why. Also, the budget maxes out at ~$150. Could go a little higher if it was a must have. Thanks everyone. :)

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a Tailbag personally. I know on www.ridegear.com you can get like a 3 peice set...I think for around $150. You get to saddle bags that combine with a Tailbag. I like the tailbag and probably wouldn't get the saddles.

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cg...-8883_Cortech_Sport_Saddlebags.html?E+scstore

That's what I'm talking about. In the pic it shows the Tail and saddlebags together, but the price is only for the saddle bags. The tailbag costs about $54. So if you wanted both you'd be spending about $170.

·
Registered
212 Posts
kinda funny you just asked cause i am shopping for a tank bag. Never heard of a magnetic bag taking off paint but im sure someone has tone it! Although it might not be big enough for you i ahve been looking at GIVI's T422 tank bag! well priced at $85 if you ask me (i have heard good reviews) I know that GIVI also has some bigger bags and they have a lot of saddle and tail bags Good luck

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I've always figured having a tank bag would bother me, specially now that it's colder I tuck more. Just my personal preference, I guess.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
everyone and his brother on this message board is going to tell you to get a tank bag, and whatever kind they have is the BEST TANKBAG EVAR!  I don't personally like them (but that doesn't mean you won't!).  I bought a pretty small one, THE smallest one I could buy locally (this one).  I just didnt like having the thing sit in front of me.  It just bothered me.  Plus, I found that I couldn't tuck down as tightly.  I don't ride tucked all the time (not that terribly often, actually), but when I want to tuck, I want to tuck...and I couldnt comfortably with the tankbag.  It was a nice tankbag, though.

I still have this tailbag.  It's pretty nice.  It attaches with bungee cords that are attached to the bottom of the bag.  I didnt really like the way the bungee cords rub against the painted tail section of the bike.  No damage yet, but it definitely made me nervous.  Using it for a longer trip, I cover the spots on the bike where the bungees rub with some clear packing tape (works really well!)...but that's not practical for trips to the store and back.

I made a quick release hard trunk out of an inexpensive motorcycle trunk from j.c.whitney and an old rear seat (see the link in my sig) that has worked out very very well.  18 beers, cigarettes, McDonald's, and room to spare!  pops on and off the bike just as easy as the rear seat, or can pop the trunk off the rack and leave the rack locked to the bike.  lockable.  

I've heard nothing but praise about luggage locker stuff, but it was a little too expensive for my tastes.  Actually, I probably spent close to that much on my trunk setup...but building the trunk setup was fun and challenging to me  ;)  mods are more fun than buying stuff.

honestly, I find the backpack to be the quickest and most practical for quick little runs to the store and other little stuff like that.

(typed out my reply, and now I see that PaPa-G has replied...trust me, dude...if you think you might not like a tank bag, you wont!!!!)

·
Registered
703 Posts
gahdzila said:
I still have this tailbag. It's pretty nice. It attaches with bungee cords that are attached to the bottom of the bag. I didnt really like the way the bungee cords rub against the painted tail section of the bike. No damage yet, but it definitely made me nervous. Using it for a longer trip, I cover the spots on the bike where the bungees rub with some clear packing tape (works really well!)...but that's not practical for trips to the store and back.

I made a quick release hard trunk out of an inexpensive motorcycle trunk from j.c.whitney and an old rear seat (see the link in my sig) that has worked out very very well. 18 beers, cigarettes, McDonald's, and room to spare! pops on and off the bike just as easy as the rear seat, or can pop the trunk off the rack and leave the rack locked to the bike. lockable.
I have the same tailbag and as a single guy I find that this is quite adequate for getting my weekly groceries. Also handles regular size bottles of liquid laundry detergent with ease.

Now I have crash testedthis tailbag too. In a round about sort of way....

I perfer to hook my tailbag under the seat by clipping opposing bungees to each other. When coming back from the store one night (with bag full of groceries) I had to do some hard braking for a red light. Apparently I didn't have the seat on well enough and it detached, with the tailbag still attached to it. Next thing I know my tailbag is sliding down the street at about 45mph, seat still attached, upside down (on the bag). The bag had about 15lbs of food stuffs in there and slid for about 60 feet.

The plastic zippers split open (to be expected of plastic zippers) under the stress and some can of tuna and other goodies went cruising down the street. However the bag held together just fine. There's a few scuff marks in the ballistic nylon the bag is made from, and some scuffs on the zippers, but the bag is just fantatstic still. No problems whatsoever and I still hook the bag the same way (but now I triple check to be certain the seat is securely fastened.) ;) :)

Excellent tailbag IMHO.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
ha! I think you told me about the hooking-the-straps-under-the-seat idea in another thread. Good idea for preventing damage to the plastics and paint, but I tried it and it didnt feel really secure. For one thing, I was worried about the bungees getting pinched and wearing through. For another thing, it felt to me like the seat wouldnt latch on securely with it like that, and I was worried about it flying off like what happened to you ;D

I'm not at all suprised that it held together that well. It feels very sturdy and well-made. Hell, everything I've had so far from TourMaster has been top notch stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was lookin at that bag but it looked kinda low profile. Would it hold some taller items like a

?

Also, how is the lateral movement on those bungee bags? They seem like they would kinda move around a bit with something kinda heavy and loose movin' around in there, you know, like a

LOL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the oxford humpback magnetic tankbag, tailbag and the set of saddlebags. I got all 3 because they were on clearance. The tank and tailbag both have a zipoff feature that allows them to turn into a backpack and leave the base behind. It takes about 5 seconds to turn either one into a backpack being that the straps are hidden beetween the bag and the base wich is real nice especially on the tailbag. And they all come with shoulder straps as well. I hated the thought of using tankbags and tailbags at first but after i used them 1 time i cant see going anywhere without them.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
PaPa-G said:
I've been thinking about getting a Tailbag personally. I know on www.ridegear.com you can get like a 3 peice set...I think for around $150. You get to saddle bags that combine with a Tailbag. I like the tailbag and probably wouldn't get the saddles.

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cg...-8883_Cortech_Sport_Saddlebags.html?E+scstore

That's what I'm talking about. In the pic it shows the Tail and saddlebags together, but the price is only for the saddle bags. The tailbag costs about $54. So if you wanted both you'd be spending about $170.
There are a number of us here that have the Cortech bags. I use the tailbag daily, it can be put on or removed in under a minute, expands to hold a good amount of stuff, and is well made. The saddlebags take a bit longer to install and remove, but are nice to have for weekend trips and such.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if it can hold
then it can hold
with no problem.

The only catch is that if you're getting something like the above items you'll probably still need a small backpack of sorts (I use a Camel Back pack) to help out with the other items. Or just get what you need for that day and maybe the next few days as well.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
www.brocktoncycle.com has a listing on Ebay for the Fieldsheer Eiffel three stage tank bag(Factory Blems). an $89 bag for $13. You cant beat it for expanda bility and versatility.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stingray where did you get that luggage rack that bolts on in place of the rear grab handle and how much?

Gahdzila can you show a pic or instruction how you come up with what you made " I made a quick release hard trunk out of an inexpensive motorcycle trunk from j.c.whitney and an old rear seat (see the link in my sig) that has worked out very very well."

thanks

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
deckpiSV said:
Gahdzila can you show a pic or instruction how you come up with what you made " I made a quick release hard trunk out of an inexpensive motorcycle trunk from j.c.whitney and an old rear seat (see the link in my sig) that has worked out very very well."
here's my writeup:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=47211.0

still holding up fine (although honestly I havent used it all that much).

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
$15 backpack at Walmart & a couple of $6 bungee nets at you local dealer is cheapest and most versitile option

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a nelson rigg tankbag and saddlebags from the same line. I use the tankbag all the time but rarely the saddlebags as They are kinda a pain to just take on and off real quick. see photo

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I have the RKA expandable saddle bags. Zipped small they are perfect for day-to-day errands. Expanded they hold enough for long trips.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've got an Oxford Products Humpback Tailpack -> http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/humptail.pdf. Attaches with 2 front to rearand 1 side to side strap under the pillion seat. When expanded it holds a full face XL helmet and then some, comes with rain cover, and zips off and turns into a backpack once you arrive. Clear plastic sheet holder on top for maps and another under once the bag is unzipped from the stapped on base pad.

UK made, triple stiched, water resistant, good stuff which stands up to daily use. I paid $150 for the tailbag at Iron Pony.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gahdzila can I get the mounting plate by itself or yours came with hard sided trunk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts