Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· BannedCampCounselor
12,850 Posts
If you have stock gearing, which IIRC is a 44T rear and you go down a few teeth I dont think you'll really gain all that much on the top end... The SV is really speed-limited by its power and its ability to overcome the drag created at those speeds.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
I've gone 2+ in the front and -1 in the rear and like it. (17/43) At 5000 rpm, I'm doing an indicated 80 mph in 6th gear with the stock front tire 120/60/17. I've only had the bike up to 130+, but ran out of clear road.

· Registered
4,435 Posts
i'm -2 in the rear on my nekkid, helps on the long slab rides, i haven't really noticed any loss of 'takeoff' power, just a couple hundo rpm lower...

· Premium Member
17,865 Posts
I have a naked so stock was 15x45 I liked it. switched to a 15x47 it topped out on the highway at like 100 or something and at cruising speed it was just rev'ed so high. I then switched to a 16x47 (from my understanding is close to a 15x44) and liked it a lot. Currently I'm switching to a 15x41 but have to get a master link. I'll let you know when I've ridden a bit.

· OberKommandant
12,382 Posts
I wanted more tork so I filed off one of the teeth on my front sproket. I haven't noticed any difference. :dontknow:

Trying to figure out how I can add some teeth to the rear, maybe that will help.

· Premium Member
13,325 Posts
I've gone 2+ in the front and -1 in the rear and like it. (17/43) At 5000 rpm, I'm doing an indicated 80 mph in 6th gear with the stock front tire 120/60/17. I've only had the bike up to 130+, but ran out of clear road.
you also ran out of HP, the 650 can't push any more air out of the way

I found my best gearing at 16/46, went up one in front, I liked it but lost a bit more zap than I wanted to so I went up one in rear too, that gearing puts you on the borderline of needing a longer chain as well, never attempted a top speed run with that gearing but with stock 15/45 gearing, I was able to go faster in 5th (128.6 on calibrated sigma/135+ observed) than in 6th (only 125 or so)

· Registered
6,246 Posts
If 130 is about the max an sv can go due to power, then what would be the optimal gearing that would max out at 130?
Impossible to say for certain without a dyno chart for your bike. You need to gear so that it just barely pulls up to the power peak, so you need to know exactly where that is.

There's enough bike-to-bike variation that a tooth on the rear more or less may be needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.