Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be riding to the beach in a few weeks, my bike is an 02 with 5500 miles on it. Granted, it's only like a 2hr drive or so (I'm a new rider so go easy) I just want to make sure the bike will make it both ways. Anything I should change besides the oil (which is due soon) or check before I leave? :eek:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Tire pressure and gas. Is that 300 miles each way?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
300 miles is not a long ride, no need to check any more stuff than you do every time you hop on the bike.

1. gas & means of purchasing more gas ... sometimes peeps leave home without their wallet
2 do the tires hole air, give them a good squeeze, put guage on them if thwey don't feel hard
3. oil is in sight glass, add as necessary
4. look at chain, adjust if necessary

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
To be proper about your pre-ride inspection, RandyO's list should be checked before every ride, regardless of distance or time. I know, I know, nobody does it for every little trip to the corner store, but it is a very good habit to get into, especially if you do lots of solo riding. There's a reason pilots devote the attention they do to their pre-flight checks...

·
Registered
653 Posts
This may sound a bit neurotic, but before I go on a trip far enough from home that I wont have any major tools, I check tire pressure, re-torque all the pinch bolts on the forks, put the battery on the tender overnight, check fluids and suspension settings, i.e. if I'm carrying more weight on the bike I'll increase spring preload and comp dampening a little.

Enjoy the beach before summers over in month!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
fill gas tank, bring wallet.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
How well do you maintain your bike? If you've kept up with the maintenance like you should (look up anal retentive ;-)) then tire pressures, fluid levels (brake fluid, oil, coolant), chain slack, gas up.

I like to carry some tire repair goodies (worms and a small pump).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
andyauger said:
How well do you maintain your bike? If you've kept up with the maintenance like you should (look up anal retentive ;-)) then tire pressures, fluid levels (brake fluid, oil, coolant), chain slack, gas up.

I like to carry some tire repair goodies (worms and a small pump).
Well, I just got it and the first scheduled maint is at 7500 miles. That said, I want to take care of it. The only problem if you'd call it that, is that very rarely it will slightly backfire. Any suggestions? Maybe clean the carb?

·
Registered
238 Posts
-yz- said:
  The only problem if you'd call it that, is that very rarely it will slightly backfire. 
My 00' does that every so often but usually if I punching it near the rev limiter. It's only done it twice so I haven't been too concerned, maybe I should be?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
acedeluxe said:
My 00' does that every so often but usually if I punching it near the rev limiter. It's only done it twice so I haven't been too concerned, maybe I should be?
that would be bouncing it off the rev limiter, expect it to pop , the ignition is being momentartily cut off

·
Registered
238 Posts
RandyO said:
that would be bouncing it off the rev limiter, expect it to pop , the ignition is being momentartily cut off
ah ha. I've heard the term "bouncing off" the limiter before but I think I now know what this means. Thanks Randy O

1 - 13 of 13 Posts