Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long read...i'll try to keep it short.

I first rode a motorcycle in the 7th grade. It was a hona 125 cruiser something. But from that point on, I had a love affair with motorcycles.
I promised myself that by the time I was 21 I would own my own bike. All through my youth I sacrificed and saved...fast forward up to high school, and with my graduation money, I had enough for a bike. But then my dad decided to up and leave my mother and I 2 months behind in the house payment, and my moms car got repoed etc etc etc...
So, that's where all my dedicated motorcycle money went.
Around this time, my 1985 Iroc-z got stolen out of my work parking lot, and I had to get a new car. And so started my care payment days at the tender age of 17.

Today, I am a Aerospace engineering major at UT Arlington in N. Texas. I work 25-30 hours a week at Starbucks up the road. So, as you can imagine my time is very limited, and i have managed to save 3,300 (as of today) from my TIPS ALONE. and the 60 bucks left over from my car payment.

So, as you can imagine, I have sacrificed an innate amount for a motorcycle, the only thing I am passionate about.

Now to the point of this post.

My dream bike is an F4i, and by all counts i am at least a grand short of getting my hands on one of those. So here is what i'm thinking.

My dad currently gets the credit for the car note that I pay, so, we are currently going through a lease transfer so that I can get some of that credit.
By this time next year, my car will be paid off, muy bueno...

So, after 8 years of saving, only 1 more to go
Thank god my friend has an extra r6 he lets me ride from time to time...or i'd go crazy...

Here are my questions:
I want an SV, but now, I really want to wait and see what the next body style is gonna be like...
#1, this time next year, will I be able to get teh NEXT body style of SV?
#2, talk me out of going up to suzuki and financing an '05 w/ 2500 down w/ no credit :(

This is my first post, and, I really admire your bikes a lot, and hope to own one soon...If there is anyone that has been abused by the emotional roller coaster for motorcycles, its me.

Happy posting!

·
Registered
745 Posts
1. From what I have seen and what factories usually do, you will see a new body style this time next year.

2. Don't do it. If you absolutley have to have one, get a cheap first gen and ride it like you stole it. Then when the new ones come out, sell it for what you paid for it and get the new one. Trust me, it will sell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WeezerKDI said:
1. From what I have seen and what factories usually do, you will see a new body style this time next year.

2. Don't do it. If you absolutley have to have one, get a cheap first gen and ride it like you stole it. Then when the new ones come out, sell it for what you paid for it and get the new one. Trust me, it will sell.
awesome, I am really talking myself out of heading up the suzuki dealership on a daily basis now it seems.
But thats just it, No one wants to sell there olds on, im on cycle trader a lot, and i rarely see SV's worth the drive to even look at.

And its important to note that *MY* 3,300 is worth a bike a lot better then what Joe Shmoe is willing to give me, but I"M the one that has sacrificed for 8 years to earn that money...

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
WeezerKDI said:

i agree and will raise a

3. most new bikes come out in the spring so you'll have to wait till atleast march/april of 2007

the best option is a used sv, or just buy a 600f4 and skip the sv, if you must own a sv, then a used sv would be a more financially responsible stepring stone to a 600f4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thejimdaddy said:
i agree and will raise a

3. most new bikes come out in the spring so you'll have to wait till atleast march/april of 2007

the best option is a used sv, or just buy a 600f4 and skip the sv, if you must own a sv, then a used sv would be a more financially responsible stepring stone to a 600f4
Well, I don't *have* to have an SV, they just seem to be the most logical choice...
I'm leary of buying used b/c I know that i'll take care of a bike better then a random guy (in most cases) that i will run into...

so, the soonest I could get a new body style SV is march/april of 07! man, that is not cool at all...

edit** i turne 21 20 days ago...

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
cade said:
Well, I don't *have* to have an SV, they just seem to be the most logical choice...
I'm leary of buying used b/c I know that i'll take care of a bike better then a random guy (in most cases) that i will run into...

so, the soonest I could get a new body style SV is march/april of 07! man, that is not cool at all...

edit** i turne 21 20 days ago...
for reference the 03's the first of the second gen's were in dealerships in june 2003, so march/april might be a best case scenario
go to a local dealer and give them a "wish list" of bikes, like if a used bike comes in for a trade in then to contact you, getting friendly with the salesmen also helps, i know around here they really look the bikes over before they take a trade in, if not then look for maintence records, japanese motorcycles are pretty much indestructable as long as they are maintained

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thejimdaddy said:
for reference the 03's the first of the second gen's were in dealerships in june 2003, so march/april might be a best case scenario
go to a local dealer and give them a "wish list" of bikes, like if a used bike comes in for a trade in then to contact you, getting friendly with the salesmen also helps, i know around here they really look the bikes over before they take a trade in, if not then look for maintence records, japanese motorcycles are pretty much indestructable as long as they are maintained
yeah, i really got my eye on an 03+ SVs But, it will still be out of my price range huh....

:-/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cyclerider105 said:
Skip the F4i, V-Twins rule!  Torque is WAY cool!
yeah, i agree, I recently test rode a 200 ducati monster 750...very "pimp" but the f4i holds a special place in my heart <3

·
Registered
212 Posts
well ur desperation is a lot like mine was....im 17 now by the way and have been riding since a ripe age of 9! I would say that if you are able to wait (even if there is no new body style) the reward will only be greater!! You can save more money and it will only help you in the long run. Dont just see whats next.....you need to see the road ahead!!! good luck on holding back and welcome to the board...

oh and by staying with this board you will learn a lot about riding and the sv!

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
If you really want to ride, ride.

Set aside $500 for riding gear. Do this first.

Take the MSF course.

Set aside another $500 for insurance and stuff that'll come along- you'll doubtlessly find that you underestimated how much gear you need, or you'll have to replace a busted turn signal and clutch lever, stuff like that.

Take what's left and buy a frigging motorcycle. One you can pay cash for. One that won't make you cry when you drop it. One that won't high side you into the weeds or launch you into someone's living room when you screw up. You can buy EX500s and GS500s and CM450s and stuff like that all day long for $800-1600.

If you really want to ride, you can. If you're afraid of what your friends will think about your bike, you're not really a rider. And if your friends give you [email protected] about your choice, they're not your friends.

I hope you'll ride. And find yourself at home here.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I really hate to bring this up, but your original post made me think. At least a couple of times in your life - something came up that kept you from owning your own rig.

Will it happen again? Who knows - but waiting another year leaves a lot of room. Plus - there's no telling if the SV is going to get any sort of update in '07. Maybe - maybe not. It's entirely possible you'd wait for nothing.

I'm not trying to make life harder for you - just stating the obvious.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bmetz99 said:
If you really want to ride, ride.

Set aside $500 for riding gear.  Do this first.

Take the MSF course.

Set aside another $500 for insurance and stuff that'll come along- you'll doubtlessly find that you underestimated how much gear you need, or you'll have to replace a busted turn signal and clutch lever, stuff like that.

Take what's left and buy a frigging motorcycle.  One you can pay cash for.  One that won't make you cry when you drop it.  One that won't high side you into the weeds or launch you into someone's living room when you screw up.  You can buy EX500s and GS500s and CM450s and stuff like that all day long for $800-1600. 

If you really want to ride, you can.  If you're afraid of what your friends will think about your bike, you're not really a rider.  And if your friends give you [email protected] about your choice, they're not your friends.

I hope you'll ride.  And find yourself at home here.

Bill

Yeah, i've got all that down, i havn't taken teh MSF course (but most certainly will) because I didnt want to take it and then get a bike 2 years later, get my drift?

I want a bike that I'm going to enjoy... All the bikes i've found in my price range seem to me like i'll spend more time fixing it up then actually riding them....

I guess it would be prudent to mention that I have been riding often in the 7 years gone by, most notably my friends R6 quit a bit...so "experience" or "size of bike" should be a none issue, except for insurance purposes of course

·
Registered
284 Posts
Buy used! Even buy salvaged! They are pretty indestructible unless they are wheelied extensively. I wouldn't fret too much about the details, because there aren't too many things that go wrong with the SV's. I bought mine salvaged almost 30,000 miles ago and have had no problems. Stop thinking and start riding!

-josh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, buy a nice used bike for 2-3k and get all the good gear. You can pick up used bikes at very good prices right now in areas that actually have a winter.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
cade said:
I want a bike that I'm going to enjoy... All the bikes i've found in my price range seem to me like i'll spend more time fixing it up then actually riding them....
My other bike:

A '71 Honda CB500 with a '76 CB550 motor.  A $300 purchase.  It needed a new clutch and a set of fork seals.  Oh, and $65 worth of cheapie tires through J.C. Whitney.   The rest was just cosmetic tinkering.  Total cost (including ammo cans and a seat from an adult tricycle) was $600.

And it's fun to ride.  Easy to push to its limits- the tires howl and slide predictably when you go too far.  Dependable as gravity, 50 mpg, all kinds of strange looks from people who can't figure out what it is, and the satisfaction of owning something that's, well, different.

An EX500 that cost twice as much would completely and totally kick its a$$ in terms of performance.  And you could give it all kinds of personality with the application of a few dollars worth of Krylon and maybe a couple of tubes of epoxy and a pile of naked Barbie dolls from the Goodwill store.

So, do you want to ride?

Bill

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Well put Bill! perfect advice!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I'd try to shoot for salvage or used. Used first gens are definately in your price range, with money to spare too. Honda f3 and f4 can be bought within that range too, so it can be close to your dream bike f4i.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Here's what I would do. . .. . er, what I did.

I bought a 99 SV w/ 2500 miles on it 2 to 3 years ago.
I paid $3200.
The bike was pretty much brand new.

You should be able to find an 01, for roughly the same price now.
I occasionally see them w/ only a few thousand miles on them.

Buy used w/ cash, and save what you would be paying in interest.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow I really understand where this kid is comeing from. I would really like to get into my tale of woe here but I won't. Dude, with the kind of money you have saved you could pick from basket loads of used bikes out there. My buddy who got me into street bikes and away from dirt bikes got a dealer's licesens just so he could go to dealer and insurance salvage auctions. All at the same time he had a Triumph Speed Triple in green, a 750 Duc Monster in yellow, a Kawa 750RR in race colors, and a CBR600f4 in black and purple and he bought all 4 of these bikes for under $5k. The Triple needed a ignition tumbler only, the Duc needed even less and the faired bikes need new plastic. My point is STOP pineing and wishing for a bike and get ONE...GET ONE NOW before something else happends. If not you will find yourself 40, bikeless, and full of regrets. Besides there is nothing wrong with buying a fixer-uper that is what guys do who can't afford new. You will be more fond of your bike and wiser about what makes your bike work if you do so. You will also be less likely to run to the shop to get things fixed if it breaks and later save yourself serious money down the road. Working on those auction buys with my friend removed all fear of working on my own bike and lead to many repairs of my own bike. Ironically enought my SV was stolen, joy ridden, and wrecked and I got it back and spent 18 months putting her back together. Bond between man and machine. Best of luck and go with the SV you wont regret it and this is the best bike site on the net too so you have plenty of tech support etc.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts