Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably stupid question in here.
ok so i just have a stock Sv taillight in right now, but i wanted to get an integrated that was dot approved. I ended up ordering one on ebay, Jerk Ebay guy took 3 weeks after i purchased it to send it out... "didnt have it in stock" Then turns out he send me one that ISNT properly reflected "non what so ever" Wont refund me unless i pay for shipping. So im out $50 for some asian crap replica taillight. "thats not racist I am asian haha"

Wa. state patrol told me that the taillight just needs a reflective housing inside it to be legal. so you can see it from the sides

My question is, has anyone ever taken apart their taillight before. I've seen some modified headlights before. So i'm wondering can i bake off the glue "what temp/how long" and open the back end up, and just place in the reflector part from my Stock SV taillight with the integrated one? IS that how its done? Bake off the glue? and what kinda glue do you use to reseal the light up so it sticks together again? does that hurt the wiring? Melt the wiring or LED's in it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can't help you with the taking the light apart. But I would send it back, and give the guy a very poor rating for the quality of the product and poor customer service.

Best of luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i already did give a bad rating. Id have to send it back to east coast, it would cost me another $12 to ship back. according the USPS to get it back priority mail within return policy time. so then id still be negative money on my end. not worth sending back if i can modify it..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oki doki well i did it. Pulled apart the cheap taillight and inserted my stock Reflector plate into it. seems to work a lot better MUCH more bright and looks better now. just have to wait for the clue to dry.

First i baked both taillights in the oven, at 200 deg.s for a time of 20min.s used a flat head screw driver to pry the edges open. have to be really careful and must make sure its still warm otherwise the glue wont be warm enough and you will crack part of the plastic.

IMG_1217 by sv650/1000s, on Flickr

IMG_1208 by sv650/1000s, on Flickr

so then you need another screw driver phillips to take off two screws then you will end up with something like this.

IMG_1211 by sv650/1000s, on Flickr

Finally just scrap off the extra glue, clean up the housing, then use your heavy duty glue. I used Gorilla glue so i hop it dry's nice we will see, but here is what it looks like next to another stock one. and a pic with left blinker on

IMG_1213 by sv650/1000s, on Flickr

IMG_1215 by sv650/1000s, on Flickr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts