Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday, I went up to my parents' house to visit and get some free food. I decided to cage it because I was also picking up some camera lenses from my dad, and I didn't want to bring them back on the motorcycle (it's a 100 mile drive, each way).

On my way back there is a stretch of highway that's 4 lanes wide. I was in the second to the right lane, going the speed limit. It was a nice day too, and many motorcyclists have their bikes out for the first time of the season. Anyway, on this particular stretch, a group of three come flying up behind me. It's no big deal, they'll fly around me and be on their merry way (lots of speed traps too).

Well, I'm not a very aggressive driver (anymore), but I do have my pet peeves while on the road. The biggest is tailgating. So these motorcyclists don't pass. I'd be surprized if they didn't drag hard parts in a lean to change lanes, being dropped and extended that much. Instead, the lead-dude decides to ride my ass. Now, we all know that tailgating on a motorcycle is dangerous, but he pays no attention to that. I could actually see his eyes in my rearview through his smoke shield.

I came to a conclusion. An ass-hole is an ass-hole whether on two wheels or four. I give him about 60 seconds to pass or back off. I've stopped brake-testing people, mostly because I've found something that works better. I use my windshield washers and whoever is behind me get's wet.

Like I said, an ass-hole is an ass-hole and will get no special treatment from me. I spray. That gets him to back off for a few seconds, but he comes right back. Well, I decided to just keep on cleaning the windshield until he got the hint.

Flame me if you want to, I don't really give a sh!t. Just spreading the message, "Don't Tailgate."

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
No reason to flame....I brake-test people all the time (when tailgating me for long periods of time) I like the idea of the windshield washers....gotta try that!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Seems safer than braking or even slowing. I hate tailgaters. Spray 'em, I say!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I've guys do this too. I will change lanes to avoid a confrontation. I don't want to make an issue out of it. I would not feel comfortable spraying anyone. The reality is you don't know who is behind you. More likely than not its a no one. But it could be an ex-felon with a gun who doesn't give a poop about shooting your car up. I also find that if I ease off the gas and slow down, 70..65..60..50...45 mph, eventually EVERYONE passes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I try to get out of the way, but if that wont work I have started to turn on my hazards. I find it is a non-confrontational way to wake someone up and get them to back off a little or try to go around.

RK

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lift off throttle? :dontknow:
4-mutha-phuckin-lanes traveling in the same direction. I'm a stubborn ass (from Ohio ;)) in my car and I won't change how I'm driving for anyone behind me when they have the option to move around.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
4-mutha-phuckin-lanes traveling in the same direction. I'm a stubborn ass (from Ohio ;)) in my car and I won't change how I'm driving for anyone behind me when they have the option to move around.
if you don't normally drive with your washers goin, you already changed :nana:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Dude, I love the washer thing, that is way better than the brake lights!

Its funny how I have noticed that I hate getting hit with them on my bike from the in the next lane, but never thought to use it to get someone off my rear bumper.

·
Registered
904 Posts
for bikes I like your washer fluid idea, I'll start using that.

For agresive Civics I like downshifting to 3rd.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like the spray thing, but hate a traveling road block.

I also hate to hear of bikers tossing BB's or anything that may harm someone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use the washer method many times. But when I run low(yes I use it alot) I'll just slow down by letting off the gas. Then I nod my head down to the side and keep one eye open. When they pass me to yell, they see me sleeping.
I love the pretend you are sleeping trick. It sounds like something from an old Benny Hill show. That's funny.

·
Chief Greeter
28,483 Posts
If someone is riding my a$$ I will hit the gas and take off or move over and let them by.

Most of the time its take off and leave 'em, who rides at the speed limit?! :p

·
Registered
704 Posts
Weird... I just can't understand why anyone... car, bike, whatever... would tailgate someone in the middle second lane? Did I read that right? They come flying up behind you, and decide to slow down and ride your ass in one of four lanes going in the same direction, and it's not even the left passing lane(which I could more understand)? That's just weird. I would decelerate and make them pass me, as others have stated.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My first move for a tailgater is to slow down, then jump back on it and create a gap. If they get back on me, I brake-check. Hard. I've had people juggling a cell phone, lipstick, and Starbucks trying to keep control of their car because their knee slipped off the wheel having to hit the brakes...

Never had an issue with bikes though. Unfortuately my washer motor is so weak it'd never squirt over the windshield.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hey, what's with all this passive aggressive mood in the thread?

If somebody is tailgating, just swerve a bit in your lane - unexpected movement usually makes them back off. If not, just let them pass.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts