Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard talk about it, but nothing concrete as of yet. Has anyone used a tail section from a different bike on the SV? I like the undertail exhaust setup and look of the CBR tail section, but am not sure if this is physically impossible to mount to the 2003 SVS subframe. I am assuming I would need to get the CBR subframe and try to mount that up somehow. I know Rivited is working on this but want other opinions as well.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
How about a tail from a Kawi H1? :D

Anything is possible if you have the time & tools. I've done quite a few write ups on what's involved in making a custom tail for gen1, most info is probably applicable to gen2 as well.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good ole' DonnieJ I knew you would have my answer, and I'm sorry I missed you on Saturday. Are you available this Saturday for a GSXR rear shock swap? I know Tony was going to check with you. I haven't seen the Kawi back end, I'll look at it now. I'm not a fabricator and would need some guidance.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Saturday is fine, I'm in my garage almost every day, have to be done at a reasonable hour (dark-ish) saturday to take the GF out though... :D

My 636 shock & swingarm is supposed to be in today (I'm anxiously waiting now), if I get it I'll be installing it tonight. You're welcome to come over.

I'm anxious to get the shock in so I can fabricate my inner-fender and mount the battery, electronics and rear gas tank mount. If you want to learn to fabricate a tail that would be the time to watch.

I'm also looking into a gen2 tank on gen1 (donor tank courtesy of TWF)...

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may be doing a custom TIG welding project on my subframe this winter to incorporate an undertail exhaust... If it pans out I will post some pics.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DonnieJ,

I don't have much time at all anyway with my GF and her son, so it would be quick. I would love to spend a day watching this stuff be built though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
has anyone ever put an '03 tail onto an '01 sv?

could be different.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Rio38 said:
I have heard talk about it, but nothing concrete as of yet. Has anyone used a tail section from a different bike on the SV? I like the undertail exhaust setup and look of the CBR tail section, but am not sure if this is physically impossible to mount to the 2003 SVS subframe. I am assuming I would need to get the CBR subframe and try to mount that up somehow. I know Rivited is working on this but want other opinions as well.
The 600rr tail is a weird fit. It needs a ton of work, the front mounting points are about 2" too narrow and way too long.

I've been eyeing one for quite sometime, and it looks like much more work than its worth.

600rr subframe would be an even bigger nightmare to mount up. You are better off hacking and welding a SV subframe.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
as my unlce one said to me "any thing is possible with enough time money and welding"

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
600rr subframe would be an even bigger nightmare to mount up. You are better off hacking and welding a SV subframe.
Rivited did say it was quite a bit of work, and actually ended up being a hacked up 600rr subframe in the end, far from stock.

·
Registered
514 Posts
evilbologna said:
Rivited did say it was quite a bit of work, and actually ended up being a hacked up 600rr subframe in the end, far from stock.
He is using a 954 tail, R1 swingarm, and pipe runs up though the swingarm.

600rr plastics won't fit with out a lot of cutting and reglassing, and I mean a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
evilbologna said:
I think he's using a modified stock subframe.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
donniej said:
I think he's using a modified stock subframe.
Might be. Some part of it is 600rr somewhere, I remember him saying that. The tail plastic itself is 954 and so is the seat. Its a mess of jumbled parts thats for sure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
evilbologna said:
Might be. Some part of it is 600rr somewhere, I remember him saying that. The tail plastic itself is 954 and so is the seat. Its a mess of jumbled parts thats for sure.
Only 600rr part I know of is the muffler. Even that isn't stock Honda. Its a yosh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts