Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

tail of the dragon..last 2 weeks of AUG

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  DeltaPapa 
#1 ·
I will be going to Knoxville TN some time the last 2 weeks of AUGUST. I plan to fly in and rent. Even though I have a SV1000s, I plan to rent from Sportbikes4hire.com
I'm thinking about either their sv 650 or a motard, which is cheaper yet suitable.

Anyone that is interested in joining me plz let me know. I live in northern NY and its cheaper for me to fly and rent a bike rather than bring my own. I would love to ride with a SVR.COM member than by my self. If some time in the last 2 weeks works for you, give me a shout.

#3 ·
Get a motard, they are so much more fun than a sport bike out there.

#6 ·
+1, I preferred my DRZ on the dragon but chose the SV when venturing away from there...
Was so much fun that I promptly sold it upon my return to NY. It was no fun riding that bike around here once I got a taste of the dragon.

14hr drive from NY. Looking forward to June 2013 :rock:

#4 ·
I get free flights, and the most expensive bike is 185.00 a day..that would be cheaper than gas for my car to get there and back. I also get a discount on the hotel. It just makes sense for me.

#7 ·
Very much agree! however I have no trailer (of course I could rent one) plus if I rode my bike there, I would have to change my name to DeltaMAMA...because I believe my man parts would fall off. :lmao:

#8 ·
The wife and I have been contemplating going to the Dragon during that time frame already. However, I really want to take my own bike, and hauling it up there in the truck..... I live in south Texas, so according to Google, its 947 miles one way. With gas pushing $4 and a truck that gets somewhere between 16-18 mpg. I may bring it up tonight and see what would come of it, with any luck I could come up there for a few days at least.

#11 ·
Ride your bike down. A road trip on a bike is WAY more enjoyable than sitting on a crowded plane.

I have a hard time believing that the cost of buying a plane ticket plus renting a bike is cheaper than riding down. It's only about 800 miles one way, maybe more depending on the route you want to take. That's 1600 miles round trip with say two hotels, once on the way down, once on the way back. If you get deplorable gas mileage of say 30mpg and pay well-above average prices of $4/gal, that's only $213 on gas round trip, plus two hotels of we'll say $100/night equals $413 total. You'll need to also add in food costs, but you'll need to do that regardless. I'd imagine the cheapest flight you will find will be about $500, give or take, plus bike rental costs. Besides, renting a vehicle and worrying about how to get there to pick it up and then how to get back to the airport is both costly (generally) and stressful.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider a road trip on your bike instead. I'd imagine that you'll be quite happy that you went this route instead of doing a fly and rent.

#16 ·
have your bike shipped to the Dragon. what you would pay in a airline ticket you can pay to have your bike fly with you. I don't think it would fit in the overhead compartment though.

#19 · (Edited)
While not in NY (NE Ohio), I have travelled to that area on my SV close to a dozen times (9 IIRC)
I agree with others that the trip down and back just adds to the adventure. Best part of spending time at Deals Gap are the other roads and sites in the area, NOT the Dragon itself. If you stay at the Gap Resort, you get to ride the Dragon twice each day....when you leave on a loop in the morning, and when you return in the evening.
Have a good trip either way Pappa.
( and if a long day in the saddle pains you too much, it's time to start modding your SV for comfort's sake)

#20 ·
Let me know the particular dates you get in and I can meet you. I usually go twice a week, but my last semester is starting up this next Wednesday so I'm not sure how much free time I'm gonna have with an 18hr class load...

I'm sure I can escape for a day or two, though ;)

#21 ·
So fare it looks like the end of AUG. possibly the 29 - 31. I will leave ny on the 28 and drive to Detroit with bike on trailer to pick up my cousin. He has a Suzuki cruiser..like 800 lbs. Then off to the dragon. I'm super excited. It's a long trip..so if you want to join..pm me and ill give details as they unfold...the rest will be on gopro.. :)

#22 ·
You are "unable to accept PM's"... But anyway, I can prob make it down the 29th and/or 30th. I'll be out of town the rest of the weekend. If this is your first time down here, dont spend your whole trip on the Dragon. Hit the Foothills Parkway (short, but fast and fun) and DEFINITELY run the Cherohala Skyway. Both are super close to the Dragon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.