Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few discussions about this, but haven't had much of a chance to research it, and I don't really have any time left to research.

I am riding down to see family this weekend, 250 miles one way, leaving in about 3-4 hours. I have a givi top case on my bike, and with everything packed it weighs 36 lbs. I'm a bit nervous about that amount of weight bouncing on the back for that long. I have my rack setup where I can remove it all in about 10 minutes. I also have a tail bag i could use. So my question is whether I should worry about my top rack, or if I should transfer everything into my tail bag. Tail bag is a NR CL-150 which I believe is around 38 liters expanded, while my top case is a JCWhitney and I think 42 liters. I'm not completely sure I can fit everything in, expecially since the bag would have to contour to my bike and lose a bit of storage.

Other benefit of removing the givi, is I can take my tail bag off for riding around town when I get there, rack wouldn't be as easy away from home. I could also take both and distribute the weight more evenly, as well as bring the extra parts needed to take my rack off quickly.

Any input on the matter?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The case will certainly handle it. The question is whether your mount will be able to. Which mount do you have? I have the SW-Motech rack with the Givi E45 top case. It warns not to put more than 20 pounds, including the weight of the case, on the mount. :lmao:

I've had over forty pounds in the case many times, not even including the weight of the case itself. I've done this for short day trips and longer trips as well. I'm not necessarily saying it's the smartest thing to do... But I've had no problems.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Use both, if you have both bags which you do, and not taking a passenger, it'll make it more comfortable for a 250 mile ride.

Once you get there, you have somewhere to take everything off and store it, so its no big deal.

36 lbs is alot of stuff for a trunk behind the tail and so high up, I'd split it

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
He says Givi top case, then he says JC Whitney top case. (Maybe it's a JC top case mounted on a Givi rack?) Which is it, and where is it mounted?

If you can take both the top case and the tail bag, take both.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I think I'm going to take both. I have a givi rack, so I know it's sturdy, but if I bring my tail bag too, I can pack a few extra things. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Lots of riders ride 2-up. That would certainly seem to put much more weight at least as high up as your top case.
I have seen pics of the SW-Motech top mount breaking due to apparent overloading. and feel the Givi mount spreads the weight around a little better.
Cram the soft bag in the case or spread the load between the 2 for maximum flexibility.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts