Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any body had success doing this without breaking the needle? I had two needles, now I'm down to one. I really don't want to break this one. Any tips?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has any body had success doing this without breaking the needle? I had two needles, now I'm down to one. I really don't want to break this one. Any tips?
I was able to get mine out by prying up with a set of tweezers. Just make sure you arent rotating it when you pull it out. Putting it in, you have to have the exact same lineup as when you took it out.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Why are you taking it out??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why are you taking it out??
The cover on the tach I sold him is peeling. I imagine he is trying to re-cover, or repair it somehow

Will a standard gauge needle puller work? Or an IC chip pulling tool. Those are the only things that come to my mind, and I have used both. The IC puller works the best in my opinion. The standard tool is like a mini pry bar, and can damage the gauge face. The IC puller is a set a tweezers with the tip bent in 90 degrees toward each other, like this: l_ _l

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got it out and put everything back together. It looks as if I 'll have to take it apart again. The needle seems to be off, but I put it back they way it was originally. Do you think once it is energized it will move back into place? I think it moved when I reassembled everything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It may reset itself to 0 on it own. I am not sure how they operate. If 0 is 0 only because the needle rests on the limit pin, or if the gauge knows where zero is and resets itself each time the bike is powered up, like how newer GM vehicles reset themselves (just the SV does not sweep the gauge). Thats the best description I can offer.

Could you do me a favor? Can you give me the exact mileage off that cluster? I didnt write it down like an idiot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can try to plug it in to get the mileage off of it for you, but I replaced your odometer with mine so the mileage would stay correct. You'll be seeing a post for spare gauge parts soon!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, if you dont mind trying at least :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
From http://www.antun.com/sv650tach/ (he sells replacement stickers for the tach. I got one from him since mine was peeling and so far no problems):

Very carefully, remove the tach needle. The tachometer needle is a push-fit onto the pin that turns it. This is easiest to do if the tach face is still attached. The best way to do remove the needle is to carefully lever it off using two blunt instruments, applying pressure evenly with both. I used two chisels covered with a couple of layers of painter's tape. Do not allow the needle to turn as you pull it off. You want the needle to stay at the "0" mark as you pull it off, so when you replace it it will not need any adjustment.
Seems that it doesn't fully right itself from what that says.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, I have to take it apart again but I've been too busy. It's frustrating because all the bikes are starting to come out! I wanna play too! I still need a shifter too. Anybody have one????

·
Registered
467 Posts
when i replaced my LEDs i used the two spoon trick. put the lips of two spoons under the needl and rest them on the two screws for leverage without damaging the face. it worked for me. i have also read of a method using a single fork...

edit - i also apparently did not get my needle back on correctly, so i left the gauge open, plugged it in, turned the key on and then placed the needle on pointing to the zero mark to correct it.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
USE A FORK! Then turn on ignition, before pushing needle back on.. Been there done that :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts