Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Table of Model Changes - Expert Additions Welcome

I've created a table outlining the changes and differences between the varying SV650 models. I'm hoping this will help out new SV Havers and anyone curious about the SV, it seems that one of the most asked questions is "What are the differences between ____ and ____?"

I don't claim to be an expert myself, so if anyone has anything to add, feel free and I will update the table.

This is US-spec SV650 info only.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
+1 Especially since wiki hasn't been edited since 2006! Good Start.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's good to know that all 1999 - 2006 had brakes as a standard feature. It wouldn't be fun to look at some bikes that the owner didn't bother to buy that upgrade.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
2003 rearset/footpeg location is different from other years and are different from N to S. 03 N are further down and forward than other years and S are further up and back than other years.

·
Registered
353 Posts
2003 rearset/footpeg location is different from other years and are different from N to S. 03 N are further down and forward than other years and S are further up and back than other years.
1st gens also vary between S and N. I believe the relative positioning on the '03 is as with the first gens. This is one of the ways in which one can see the '03 as a "transitional" model.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could always incorporate this data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_SV650#Specifications

Also, the sprocket differences between S and N. And be sure to specify that this is US only.
All I can find is that stock naked is 14/45.
And yes, US spec, SV650 only. All the 1k and Canadian owners have to fend for themselves.

Engine color :)
From my research, 99-00 is black and 2001+ is silver, correct?

It's good to know that all 1999 - 2006 had brakes as a standard feature. It wouldn't be fun to look at some bikes that the owner didn't bother to buy that upgrade.
I had to put something, to show that the optional ABS is different. I'll change it to something more exciting...

1st gens also vary between S and N. I believe the relative positioning on the '03 is as with the first gens. This is one of the ways in which one can see the '03 as a "transitional" model.
So is there still a difference between N and S positions on 04+ ?

This is all the kind of information I want to consolidate and put together in one handy spot. I don't want it to be very technical, just an overview of differences people can reference when SV shopping.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So is there still a difference between N and S positions on 04+ ?
No, that's what I meant by "transitional". The '03 still has some first-gen-like features, while also introducing second-gen features (EFI, boxy frame, pointy fairings).

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
All I can find is that stock naked is 14/45.
And yes, US spec, SV650 only.
SV650N is 15/45, and SV650S is 15/44 for most years. IIRC, at one point they went to the same rear sprocket, but I don't know the year and I don't know if it was 44 or 45.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
What!? No SV after 2009?

Sent from my other shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My 05 650 S model had 15/44 sprockets stock. I know the N models had 15/45 for 2005 models.

I think the formula you put in excel just changed by itself. Use F4 to keep the same formula when dragging it across.

Otherwise I think this is a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The gearing you list is way off, they never went anywhere near as short as 15/54. My impression is the only stock gearing ratios have been 15/44 and 15/45.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The gearing you list is way off, they never went anywhere near as short as 15/54. My impression is the only stock gearing ratios have been 15/44 and 15/45.
He did a drag-to-copy in Excel and it auto-incremented that number. I'm sure he'll fix it when he sees the thread again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts