Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to figure out why the last couple days after I've changed to Amsoil 10w-40 Synthetic my startup's in the morning are more difficult. This morning I had the bike die on me twice while starting it up. The temp here is 1* C or 33* F. I know it's cold but it really seems worse since I switched to synthetic, but once the bike is warmed up it runs perfectly fine, if anything I think it shifts a lot smoother.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't have have the answer to your question but mine takes two tries to get it fired up in the morn. If it sits for days what a ***** but after that look out peeps. for the good side of it you put the best oil in your sv money can buy,i run nothing but Amsoil10w-40 and always a suzuki oilfilter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really think this new oil is great and if anything synthetic oils are better in cold temperatures. Just odd that it's taking longer to fully warm up ever since the change.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New and synthetic oil have better lubrication properties = less friction between moving parts = less heat generated = longer warm up time.
Makes sence.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
for the good side of it you put the best oil in your sv money can buy,i run nothing but Amsoil10w-40 and always a suzuki oilfilter.
:rolleyes: Rotella T works better and is 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Any ideas?
Tuneup

I don't have have the answer to your question but mine takes two tries to get it fired up in the morn. If it sits for days what a ***** but after that look out peeps. for the good side of it you put the best oil in your sv money can buy,i run nothing but Amsoil10w-40 and always a suzuki oilfilter.
if it takes 2 tries to get your bike started in Florida, you need a tuneup badly

might seem like its running perfect once you get it going, but it's not if it don't fire right up the moment you thumb the starter

when was last time you synced the carbs
replaced the plugs
replaced the air filter

don't get me going on oil but IMHO, your wasting your money

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had a tuneup about 6 months ago. I guess i'll try cleaning the K&N this afternoon. the carbs were also adjusted then too. Like i said though this just started happening after I changed the oil.

It does fire up as soon as I hit the started, but if i lower the choke too soon it'l die.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
had a tuneup about 6 months ago. I guess i'll try cleaning the K&N this afternoon. the carbs were also adjusted then too. Like i said though this just started happening after I changed the oil.

It does fire up as soon as I hit the started, but if i lower the choke too soon it'l die.
Dood don't worry, winter is nearly over down here. Florida's spring starts in 2 or 3 weeks!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be great if I lived in Florida!

I live in B.C. Canada!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I've been running the Amsoil in all my bikes withou issue in the winter. For me, the Buell (low tech old tractor engine) starts much faster and easier with the Amsoil.

But if you are getting long start up times, like everyone else has said... TUNE UP. New pugs, adjust/sync your tps/carbs and adjust your cables...

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Like RandyO said, tuneup time.

There is virtually no difference in friction between synthetics and standards of equal viscosity. That's not the difference in warm up times. The BTU output of combustion is hundreds of times greater than the BTU gain of oil friction.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems this is just a cold morning thing. When I left work at 3:30 in the afternoon it was just fine, after 8 and a half hours of sitting there. It dips down to 0* overnight here lately so I'm assuming that's the problem. It also stays outside covered from rain but still exposed to the cold.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
It seems this is just a cold morning thing. When I left work at 3:30 in the afternoon it was just fine, after 8 and a half hours of sitting there. It dips down to 0* overnight here lately so I'm assuming that's the problem. It also stays outside covered from rain but still exposed to the cold.
starting is the performance aspect of a tunup that you notice most,

when you say 0° can I assume since yer from the great white north, your saying just at freezing/32°F, is not that cold you shouldn't have eny problems getting is started down to -20°C, below that, then the oil starts getting viscous and affecting the starter speed and drawing energy from the ignition to turn the starter

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm odd. Start it up again this morning (similiar temperatures) and it was just fine. ran the full choke for about 30 seconds, cut it to half for a minute and it was fine. This weekend im gonna pull out the k&n air filter and clean it, I haven't done that in about a year.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
I've used both Rotella Blue and White along with many other diesel oils including Castrol GTX, Castrol motorcycle oils, Spectre dino motorcycle oils and some others I cant seem to remember the names of. The synthetic 5w-40 Rotella warms up the fastest.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tuneup

if it takes 2 tries to get your bike started in Florida, you need a tuneup badly

might seem like its running perfect once you get it going, but it's not if it don't fire right up the moment you thumb the starter

when was last time you synced the carbs
replaced the plugs
replaced the air filter

don't get me going on oil but IMHO, your wasting your money

Forgot to mention i have no choke and a tad lean down low.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts