Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to be a funny instalation to me. The cords hang off the bar and the throttle twist like normal and moves the wires? Sounds like a recipe for a short.

What about bar end heaters? Anyone install them and do they heat up quickly? Seems hiding the wires would be easier and they would not twist.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
There are no issues with the wires the way they are, you just leave some slack. I have had mine on for a year now without problems.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
to be a funny instalation to me. The cords hang off the bar and the throttle twist like normal and moves the wires? Sounds like a recipe for a short.

What about bar end heaters? Anyone install them and do they heat up quickly? Seems hiding the wires would be easier and they would not twist.
As per the instructions for installation, leave a bit of slack at the throttle so that the wire doesn't get stressed. It's insulated with a very flexible rubber coating, so that won't present a problem.

Once you route everything where you want it, just use tie wraps to secure the wires to the other bundles on the bike. The wire on my throttle is tied to the throttle cables; the clutch side is secured to the clutch cable.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess when i ask about bar end heaters I mean the tube style ones that go inside the bars and the wires go through the tube.......

anyone use those, comments...................

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually for snowmobiles and a few companies make them for motorcycles. The wires would be hidden and stationary. But would have to do some precision drilling on the handle bars, which would be very tedious.....the handle bars would have to be completely taken apart.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually for snowmobiles and a few companies make them for motorcycles. The wires would be hidden and stationary. But would have to do some precision drilling on the handle bars, which would be very tedious.....the handle bars would have to be completely taken apart.
The Symtec heaters (or Dual Stars) are pretty simple to install, work beautifully, and they seem to be bulletproof. The throttle puts essentially no stress on the wire.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have the kind that goes underneath the grips. When I twist the throttle the wire rotates with it. I've used it in rainy conditions and it's never shorted out on me. Been fine for the last two years. Do have to watch the slack tho, and I further complicated things by adding a vista cruise throttle lock but it still works fine.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link. I've actually read both this one and the other several times. I really would like to install the in bar type, but not sure how to run the wires. The self adhesive ones just worry me about wires hanging out and seems to look like an afterthought. So unsure what I will do. Don't really like the idea of drilling my risers and triple clamp either.

I guess the solution would be to buy a bike with factory heated grips?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Thanks for the link. I've actually read both this one and the other several times. I really would like to install the in bar type, but not sure how to run the wires. The self adhesive ones just worry me about wires hanging out and seems to look like an afterthought. So unsure what I will do. Don't really like the idea of drilling my risers and triple clamp either.

I guess the solution would be to buy a bike with factory heated grips?

When installed with care, nobody will notice the fact that you have installed the adhesive warmers. The only part of mine that was visible was the switch, which I had taped to a cable--the rest of it was nigh invisible, being attached to the other wire bundles in the front.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When installed with care, nobody will notice the fact that you have installed the adhesive warmers. The only part of mine that was visible was the switch, which I had taped to a cable--the rest of it was nigh invisible, being attached to the other wire bundles in the front.
Got any shots you could post. I have seen many articles and didn't like what I saw.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Got any shots you could post. I have seen many articles and didn't like what I saw.
I can't imagine ever being so vane I would let two wires stop me from extending my riding season or being comfortable ;D;D.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not right now...I've ripped my SV's front off and am installing the GSX-R front. When it's done I'll show you.

Really, when routed with the rest of the wiring up front, nobody will see it.
Thanks anyway, i actually have a gixxer front end I got with my bike. Don't have the time right now to even think about putting it on.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I don't want to assume anything, but you do realize that the wires are supposed to face inward when installed? That being said, there are like 5 other wires coming off your controls from the factory.

When I installed my symtec grip heaters, I placed the "wired-side" on (roughly) the bottom of the bars.
By doing this:
A) you weren't able to realze that they were there, wires just tied into the factory jumble. and
B) When I twist the throttle, it puts MORE slack into the wires and puts no strain on the wires. Think of the wires fed through the door of a car; same amount of stress.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
subscribing because I've got to install mine soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts