Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Banned Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The very first thing I did to my SV, besides ride it off the dealer lot, was change the headlight aim. They were aimed too low to get any kind of useful distance lighting at night. Instead of the cutoff being at 25 yards, it's more like 75 -100. Anyway, after doing that I realized that the stock headlamps were just too dim for my liking. That led to the first thing that I replaced on the bike, the headlights.

Beliving the hype, I spent too much money on a pair of SilverStars. My first impression was, "Wow, these are nice." Colors seemed to be better represented and depth perception was much better than with the stock bulbs. I had no complaints. I could see better on my bike than I could in/on any other vehicle I had driven (besides a BMW 330i with Xenons).

A few months later I was going to put the SilverStar bulbs in my car (headlight out) but there was nothing in stock. I decided to go for the cheaper XtraVisions instead of searching for the SilverStar bulbs. Right away I was impressed but couldn't imagine that I could see better than I could on the bike. I was wrong.

The next time I was on the bike I realized that there was immense glare. The higher color temperature (4000K) is highly reflective compared to lower temps. Things like road signs, lane reflectors, license plates, etc. reflected back so much they were almost washed out. Where they lacked was in rain and fog. The light seemed like it iluminated everything but the road. Everything that reflected did, including all the water and fog. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't so bad that I felt unsafe but rather that I would not be replacing with the same type of bulb when I needed to. Well, it's time to replace.

When I left for work this morning, the lights worked just fine. When I got to work I noticed something a little wierd. As I'm coming into the area where I park, I can see my reflection. I noticed only one headlight on. Flipped my high-beam switch and both came on. About 1 year and 12,000 miles of using the bulbs, one is out.

Well, today they are getting replaced with the XtraVisions and SilverStars will no longer reside in any of my vehicles.

· Registered
963 Posts
OK SIL-try not to get irritated with me for asking another dumb question, since you also live in NC you probably know. I feel my headlamp is way to low also, I have to ride in high beams all the time to see anywhere going over like 20mph. I know in a car they check your headlamp adjustement on inspection so you can't exactly aim them higher. This is ok on a bike and the I won't have any problems with getting it inspected if I aim them a little higher.
I'll definitely take your advice on the xtravisions.

· Banned Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never failed inspection on my car or SV. Both have headlamps raised. All I did to aim them (and make sure that they were aiming downward some) was position my bike in a flat lot about 50 yards away from a building. I found a reference point on the building that was about half the height of the headlights and aimed the cutoff for that point while sitting on the bike.

· Registered
999 Posts
I use them 2 years on the Ultra Stars love them, Couple questions,

1. Dieelectric the buld socket
2. Make sure they are solid in the Light

Vibrations and moisture destroy bulbs. Not saying you are wrong but I love mine. just my .02

· Banned Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the UltarStars are a bit different. Either way though, the XtraVisions put out 1100/1350 lumens lo/high while the SilverStars put out 1000/1300 lo/high. Buying bulbs every year doesn't bother me so much. I'll report on how well I can see as soon as I ride at night with the XtraVisions.

· Registered
8,679 Posts
I found this on the Osram Sylvania site, which sort of explains the difference between the SilverStars and the XtraVisions:

Q) How much whiter are SilverStar headlights?

A) SilverStar is up to 4000K on the color temperature scale, which is a white color that is closer to the color of daylight. Standard halogen headlights are about 3000K and have a yellowish color, in comparison.

Q) What’s the difference between European and North American SilverStar?

A) The Sylvania North American SilverStar bulbs have a high tech amethyst blue coating to help give the whiter light appearance. The European SilverStar does not have a coating for the whiter light, making it more like the SYLVANIA (US) XtraVision product line. Both bulbs offer greater luminance (increased brightness).

· Registered
8,679 Posts
Now, I have some questions.

How do the SilverStar Extras compare to either the Silverstars or the XtraVisions?

The blokes on sv650.org recommend the Osram "NightBreakers" over the SilverStars. Why is that, and are those sold in the US?

· Banned Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately the coating is a filter. It absorbs light of certain color ranges and reduces total light output. To keep the lumens up, the filaments are overdriven and that's why the life is so short.

The XtraVision is 3500K color temp.

· Banned Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now, I have some questions.

How do the SilverStar Extras compare to either the Silverstars or the XtraVisions?

The blokes on sv650.org recommend the Osram "NightBreakers" over the SilverStars. Why is that, and are those sold in the US?
We don't get the good stuff here. XtraVision is probably the best (street legal) you can get.

· Registered
8,679 Posts
So, if I understand correctly:

the XtraVision is somewhere between regular halogens and the SilverStar in brightness and whiteness;

the SilverStar is a little brighter and whiter than the XtraVision, but it's whiteness can increase glare (and the blue filter means the bulb will have a shorter lifespan);

the SilverStar Ultra is even brighter and whiter than the SilverStar (even shorter lifespan?); and

the "NightBreaker" (whatever that is) is better than any (not sure why) but is unavailable in the US.

Is that right?

Which model number Sylvania halogen bulbs (of any of their brands) is the direct replacement for the bulb in the naked SV?

Anyone know anything about the Philips Xtreme Power automotive bulb?

· Banned Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brightness has nothing to do with whiteness. We associate how white the light is the closer to a 6000K color temperature. A higher color temperature is more purple while a lower is more yellow (and then red). The brightness is an independent factor and is measured in lumens.

The more lumens, the more light. The color temperature is the color and only the color.

So, the Sylvania SilverStar is whiter but not brighter than the XtraVisions.

The Sylvania SilverStar is whiter but not brighter than the Osram SilverStar.

The SV uses H4 bulbs.

G

·
I've not had good luck with Silverstars either. I bought them twice for 2 different cars. Within 6 months, all of them were burned out on both vehicles. Grrr!!!

I'm currently using Phillips CrystalVision Ultra H4 bulbs and have had them for just over a year. So far, so good. Got them in both my minivan and my bike. The light output is slightly better than the Silverstars, IMO. And, they were a few dollars cheaper, too.

· Registered
923 Posts
Those of you who have had bulbs die after only a few months, did you use gloves when handling the bulbs? If you touch them, the oil on your skin will stick to the bulbs and the high temps will cook the bulbs.

G

·
If you touch them with your fingers, they'll usually burn out within minutes.

I'm always careful to handle it from the base, although it can sometimes be difficult when trying to remove the bulb from the packaging. If you happen to touch the glass, you can give it a wipe with alcohol.

· Registered
8,679 Posts
Brightness has nothing to do with whiteness.
So, the Sylvania SilverStar is whiter but not brighter than the XtraVisions.

The Sylvania SilverStar is whiter but not brighter than the Osram SilverStar.

The SV uses H4 bulbs.
I get that whiter and brighter are two different things.

According to the Sylvania website, the SilverStar is both whiter and brighter than the XtraVisions.

Not sure what you mean next; Osram = Sylvania (same company)

Thanks for the info re H4 bulbs.

· Banned Member
10,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Osram is Euro and Sylvania is US but you're right, the same company.

Thank you for your interest in SYLVANIA product. Although I cannot
comment on the product of our competitors, I have listed below the
specifications to compare. The XtraVision series and our new SilverStar
line are the highest performing products we have out there for direct
replacement. The lumen ratings are roughly the same because it is the
different gas mixture and filament within the bulb that creates the
increased output. In both the XtraVision and the SilverStar versions
the viewing pattern is increased by redirecting the light and turning
light that would be considered scattered in the standard version into
usable light in the XtraVision and SilverStar versions. Both XtraVision
and SilverStar have an increased viewing pattern, but SilverStar also
offers an increased color temperature which makes the light output a
crisper white. I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I
can be of further assistance.

9007- 12V 65/55W lumens 1350/1000 MSCD 107/80 Color
temp. 3200
9007XV- 12V 65/55W lumens 1350/1100 MSCD 107/83 Color
temp. 3500
9007ST- 12V 70/60W lumens 1350/1000 MSCD 107/80 Color
temp. 4000>>
Of course that's the 9007, but I'm assuming that the H4 is pretty close.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.