Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newbie question...  Does anyone have any expierience swapping the top clamp and bars from an sv to an svs?  Or, are there kits out there for risers to make an svs have a more upright seating position?  I'm digging the V-Strom ergos, but not the style of that bike.  Thanks.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
siudog said:
Sorry for the newbie question... Does anyone have any expierience swapping the top clamp and bars from an sv to an svs? Or, are there kits out there for risers to make an svs have a more upright seating position? I'm digging the V-Strom ergos, but not the style of that bike. Thanks.
There are superbike kits, but not particularily cheap.

The converversion with the N bars would probably need the clutch and throttle cables as well as the brake hoses from the N, as the ones from the SVS would be too short (at least this would be the case for the brake hoses, the other cables can sometimes be rerouted accordingly).

An option would be the clipons from an Honda Hawk or VF 1000 (that are the ones I have). Furthermore, there are so called "sun risers". Check this site to find out more about them. They all need new brake hoses (cables can be reused) but might not give you the ergos you are longing for.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
how about the site sponsers? ;D
http://www.convertibars.com/ - not cheap, but looks to be a really elegant solution

or, the slightly less exotic, MUCH less expensive solution -
http://www.cliponrisers.com/

OR...do what I did. scour the internet for a couple of months trying to figure out what to do to make the damned clip ons more comfortable, and then realize that in that couple of months of hunting you've gotten used to them and don't need risers after all :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've gone some of these routes in the 2 1/2 years I've had my '03 SVS.....

initially I installed Heli-bars....a nice change that I will probably be going back to soon.....no new cables or lines are needed, just some re-routing of the throttle lines....

I then mounted up the top triple clamp from an 03 naked SV....I picked up the stock risers from a member on the socalsv site and a handlebar from my local cyclegear....brake lines will reach, but they must be rotated on the mount (and tab dremmeled off) and unbolted from all attachment points....the clutch line will need to be replaced to work properly......

the problem with set up was that I was too far back....the risers were really tall, and I just did not like it very much.....

my next set up is something completely different.....I picked up the LSL clamp (w/ risers) for a 99 - 02 SV on ebay for $20....I had to take it to a machine shop and have the center hole enlarged to fit the 03 stem, which cost about $60....when mounting everything up I had to rotate the risers so that they were in a more forward positition and wouldn't whack the tank .....i really like this set up, except for the fact that the ignition lock is now with the front wheel straight on instead to turned to the left.....but it looks really nice.....I was going to try the sunrisers, and even picked up a pair off ebay, but never got around to it and eventually sold them...

....I ended up leaving the naked's clutchline on with my current set up.....of note with the clutch line is that the angle and length of the hard black portion (near the lever) makes a huge difference....the naked's line is a must when using an actual handlebar....

anyway...good luck...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been wanting to do the same thing to my wife's bike for a while now. I would like to add one question to this.

In switching out the top triple tree can does it matter which year you go with? Example, my wife has an 05, so do I have to get an 03 and newer triple clamp or will one from 99-02 work as well?

·
Registered
26 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
I've been wanting to do the same thing to my wife's bike for a while now.  I would like to add one question to this. 

In switching out the top triple tree can does it matter which year you go with?  Example, my wife has an 05, so do I have to get an 03 and newer triple clamp or will one from 99-02 work as well?
if you can get to a machine shop to get the stem hole enlarged then 99-02 triples should work on a 03+ SV.....I used an LSL clamp that I picked up on ebay

the only other thing is that the steering lock is not turned to the left, the wheel is now dead-on....I'll put up some pics tomorrow....

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
stranger said:
is that a full tank leather cover? :eek:

THAT is something I've never seen before. I couldn't figure out what it was at first. Looks fantastic... 8)

Damn, I've got a ton of questions about that cover, but I don't to jack this thread too bad... :-[

1 - 10 of 10 Posts