Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a hyosung gt650r that's been a headache since I've gotten it. After 3500 miles with it, I want to fix it then sell it. Now I've been looking at cbr600s and had my mind set on that or a gsxr. But insurance is insane on the gsxr! I'm in the process of sellIng a gsxr 06 front end, which brought me here. And this forum reminded me of how sexy these bikes are.

My concern is that the gt 650r and sv650 are practically the same bike. Anyone go from vtwin to i4 or i4 to vtwin? How was it? Pros and cons?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
No, it isn't the same bike as the GT. Yes, many of us have gone back and forth from V2 to I4...and back again.

It isn't something I can easily or succinctly describe here; you'll really need to experience it for yourself. There are just too many variables to give you a good description, though there will be along soon enough plenty of two-bike bandits who can describe to you their amazing depth of experience on the issue.

They feel different; that's the main difference between the two engine configurations. It's six one way, half a dozen another, and it all depends on whom you ask. I prefer a V2, but have immensely enjoyed V4, I4, I2, and thumper engines. Go try the bikes out; don't rely on the "wisdom" here.

Insanely expensive? That's because you're young, I'm sure. Or a stupid rider with lots of tickets. In that case, be smart and buy yourself a less "risk worthy" bike, like the SV.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Aside from the poor reliability and build quality, do you like your Hyo? If you otherwise like it, get an SV650 and enjoy a similar riding experience, without the headaches.

If you're bored with the Asian v-twin format, as opposed to simply being tired of the problems with your bike, get something else, like a Euro v-twin or a Japanese I-4.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Like jb mentioned, try it out for yourself and see what you like. Get rid of that Hyosung, the people I have met that have them all have issues. While the engine and looks might be similar to the SV650 (Hyosung is basically a copy), every bike brand feels different even if they have similar engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aside from the poor reliability and build quality, do you like your Hyo? If you otherwise like it, get an SV650 and enjoy a similar riding experience, without the headaches.

If you're bored with the Asian v-twin format, as opposed to simply being tired of the problems with your bike, get something else, like a Euro v-twin or a Japanese I-4.

Aside from the quality, I love my bike. I hate having to wrench on it every other weekend. I've ridden an i4 before but only once for a demo day so it really wasn't an experience I remember. I wish I had friends with online fours thatd let me take the bike out for a hour.

From my understanding, the i4s have less power up to 6k RPM and from there it escalates exponentially. But below that it's a really comparison. I won't be buying the bike till march so I guess that leaves me time to think about it. Hopefully I find a buyer for the hyosung

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought I would post up as an owner of all varieties.

A modern I4 600 is silly. They are very fast. A lot faster than what some people really understand. I think the newest of the new 600 supersports are cranking 130+hp. They're extremely racy and have proper powerbands that are way up there in the range. Quite frankly I feel the new 600's are more dangerous than the 1000's because of their powerband. 130hp but still only making 40lbs of torque. Plus, the idea of riding around the neighborhood at 10,000rpm in 1st because 2nd lugs turns me off.

The biggest thing you'll notice is that torque delivery. The gT650R has an AWESOME torque line. It's almost flat all the way across the graph. If I'm running 25mph I can put the bike in 6th gear and open her up and, slowly but smoothly, she'll come to speed. A friend's ZX6R ('02), +3 in the back -1 front, if I do the same thing it she nearly stalls. Slow speed, neighborhood, and traffic stuff...to me...the GT wins, no contest. My GT, with a SS70 muffler, actually makes more torque than that particular ZX6R.

Now, if you plan on doing some racing or track stuff, the 600's are great. They just need to be wound out, is all.

The GT vs. the SV is a little finer. The GT is a little more aggressive. Her turn-in is a little sharper, anyway. At speed, and cornering, the GT is more planted than the SV, but a lot of that comes from the extra 60lbs. There's a little edge in power and, while it won't make a lot of difference at speed, you can physically feel it while putting around. The GT is a lot more eager off the line.

Where the SV wins is through 30 years of refinement, process control, and a higher build standard. The mechanics of it all are smoother and it feels more graceful. I can fling my GT into a corner hotter than an SV, but I've never had to "clean the seat", so to speak, after dragging the SV out of it.

Between the two, I would pick the GT. I think it looks better and I like the way it feels. I'm not saying there's anything bad about the SV. She's a great bike and it withstood the test of time and I would own one again if chance brought it my way. I don't think I would trade, though...not one for the other, regardless which one I had.

Now I'm curious though...this is nearly a month old by now, but maybe you haven't made a swap yet (this is a terrible time of year for selling no matter where you are). What problems are you having?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts

A modern I4 600 is silly. They are very fast. A lot faster than what some people really understand. I think the newest of the new 600 supersports are cranking 130+hp. They're extremely racy and have proper powerbands that are way up there in the range. Quite frankly I feel the new 600's are more dangerous than the 1000's because of their powerband. 130hp but still only making 40lbs of torque. Plus, the idea of riding around the neighborhood at 10,000rpm in 1st because 2nd lugs turns me off.

The biggest thing you'll notice is that torque delivery. The gT650R has an AWESOME torque line. It's almost flat all the way across the graph. If I'm running 25mph I can put the bike in 6th gear and open her up and, slowly but smoothly, she'll come to speed. A friend's ZX6R ('02), +3 in the back -1 front, if I do the same thing it she nearly stalls. Slow speed, neighborhood, and traffic stuff...to me...the GT wins, no contest. My GT, with a SS70 muffler, actually makes more torque than that particular ZX6R.

Now, if you plan on doing some racing or track stuff, the 600's are great. They just need to be wound out, is all.

The GT vs. the SV is a little finer. The GT is a little more aggressive. Her turn-in is a little sharper, anyway. At speed, and cornering, the GT is more planted than the SV, but a lot of that comes from the extra 60lbs. There's a little edge in power and, while it won't make a lot of difference at speed, you can physically feel it while putting around. The GT is a lot more eager off the line.

Where the SV wins is through 30 years of refinement, process control, and a higher build standard. The mechanics of it all are smoother and it feels more graceful. I can fling my GT into a corner hotter than an SV, but I've never had to "clean the seat", so to speak, after dragging the SV out of it.

Between the two, I would pick the GT. I think it looks better and I like the way it feels. I'm not saying there's anything bad about the SV. She's a great bike and it withstood the test of time and I would own one again if chance brought it my way. I don't think I would trade, though...not one for the other, regardless which one I had.

Now I'm curious though...this is nearly a month old by now, but maybe you haven't made a swap yet (this is a terrible time of year for selling no matter where you are). What problems are you having?
Hmmm... a little biased and you clearly forgot to mention:

Less power, more weight, horrible fuel injection, ok build quality, super ugly frame, cheap hard to read gauges, less refined motor, clunky gears, low aftermarket availability, horrible resale value etc... compared to the SV650. And all the major magazines would agree.

Ill take a Ninja 650R before I would ever touch a Hyosung GT650, you can take your GT650 fan juice elsewhere, that is going to be a tough sell on this forum.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts

WOW...............I would never trade down to Hyosung!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
So I have a hyosung gt650r that's been a headache since I've gotten it. After 3500 miles with it, I want to fix it then sell it. Now I've been looking at cbr600s and had my mind set on that or a gsxr. But insurance is insane on the gsxr! I'm in the process of sellIng a gsxr 06 front end, which brought me here. And this forum reminded me of how sexy these bikes are.

My concern is that the gt 650r and sv650 are practically the same bike. Anyone go from vtwin to i4 or i4 to vtwin? How was it? Pros and cons?
Well, jb got it right... you need to try several bikes out to get a good feel.

However... I have owned I2, I4, and V2s. I prefer the V2... that's what I ended up liking more. I like the power curve and sound more from a V2 than an I4. I actually sold my '05 636 and kept my SV... I think it's a really nice motorcycle for my typical riding.

Now, obviously... the general skinny will be a V2 produces its power/torque earlier in the rev range, 3-4K usually, and an I4(600s usually) will produce it later... say around 10K rpm. The V2 will run out of steam usually around the time the I4 600 is hitting its stride. So, it's all what you are looking for... what you need your bike to do better. Do you want a track/race machine with okay street manners or something better suited to commuting and tight road riding without needing to rev the engine up high for the power?

Now, like was said earlier... an I4 1000cc is a different machine. Most of them are able to produce loads of usable tq down low(5-6K rpm)... and more than you'll ever need up top. But, I find that unless I'm looking for a touring machine... 1Kcc bikes are too much for my tastes.

As to the GT650 being an SV...? Nope... the GTs fueling wasn't as refined, it's heavier, slower turning, I felt less peppy, and the overall build quality was less than the SV... they're not the same bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Less power, more weight, horrible fuel injection, ok build quality, super ugly frame, cheap hard to read gauges, less refined motor, clunky gears, low aftermarket availability, horrible resale value etc... compared to the SV650. And all the major magazines would agree.

Ill take a Ninja 650R before I would ever touch a Hyosung GT650, you can take your GT650 fan juice elsewhere, that is going to be a tough sell on this forum.
If by 'biased' you mean 'speaking according to what I've experienced' then yes. I'm biased.

Had you read my post you would see that I spoke about a lot of your comments. I'll go over them again right quick:

Less power...no. 6 more horsies than my sv, and a slight edge on torque on torque delivery but nothing worth writing home about.

I said specifically that it's heavier.

I can't speak of the efi on either machine.

For the price I think the build quality is on par.

I have not had any problems reading the clocks. They are too busy, though. Hyosung tried to put too many features in them. Also, not the most resilient. But easy to read.

I spoke specifically about the engine.

I won't argue too much about the price. The carb'ed models go for about the same out here, as do the efi ones. Pricing trends will vary from place to place and, honestly, neither the gt nor the sv will easy here.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. I don't think the gt's frame is pretty, but the sv's has never gotten me all hard and eager either.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I love how we're so protective of the SV. We finally get not one, but two Hyosung riders on the forum and we can't believe what they're saying. This reminds me of the electric bike thread almost...

Makes me want to buy a GT650R, do another 18K miles, and really give you guys a end-all, be-all review.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I love how we're so protective of the SV. We finally get not one, but two Hyosung riders on the forum and we can't believe what they're saying. This reminds me of the electric bike thread almost...

Makes me want to buy a GT650R, do another 18K miles, and really give you guys a end-all, be-all review.
Do eet!

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Were not being protective. It's just the fact of Hyo having bad fueling, carbed 650's up until recently, fuel injection is primitive on them, body work is fugly, forks are worse than stock SV's, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

I've also ridden both the SV650 and GT650 and owned an SV650 and a Hyosung GT-125. I'd agree that the Hyosung is a much more fun bike to ride and feels much more stable in the corners.

The OP already knows about the low quality parts, he's seeking our advice on upgrading, IMHO a 600ccc I4 would be an upgrade, and SV650 wouldn't; despite the added reliability he'd probably find the ride quality/power sub-par- just my $0.02.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I find it amusing. Korider can be the same way but with the roles reversed. What really gets me is that neither bike is really phenomenal at anything other than being really ordinary.

Were not being protective. It's just the fact of Hyo having bad fueling, carbed 650's up until recently, fuel injection is primitive on them, body work is fugly, forks are worse than stock SV's, etc etc etc.
That's not really saying a whole lot when (forks, for example) you have to either completely gut the assemblies and slap in an assortment of aftermarket bits or bring over a GSXR front end to get any real performance out of either.

Unless the continual fueling remarks are based solely on the EFI GT's, which I have never dealt with, it's just inaccurate. They use the same carburetors as the carb'ed SV's. I had just as many fueling issues with my '02 SV as I do with my '05 GT.

Also, again, aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. You think the bike is ugly but, quite frankly, that has no relevance. I don't think the angular SV's look worth a damn but it's not really going to effect how they work.

I'm curious if you (those who like to hate the GT but love the SV) have ever owned a GT and where you're getting your poor experience from?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Well, somebody has to stand up for the girl bike... :vroom:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts