Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
The bolt should match the bolt hole in the swing arm, so the bolt size for the item you linked to should be the same for all manufacturers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
get em from motosliders.. have em on mine.. if nobody gets a pic up here in a few, I'll post one.

But yea, the bolt isn't very big

·
Registered
459 Posts
Phone Cam, can't find the cable for my point and shoot.. hope these help..

·
Registered
459 Posts
and yes, I know my garage is a mess.. been in the progress of cleaning it

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've always been told to NOT run swingarm spool sliders. The lugs are designed to support the bike on a rearstand, not in a crash. If you crash with those sliders, there's a fair chance that you'll simply snap the lug off the swingarm. I've seen it happen. Just run spools.

If you want protection for your swingarm, get sliders that attach to the axle. The SV axle is hollow, right? If so, you can make sliders with a piece of threaded rod and some skateboard wheels like us 'tard guys do.

·
Registered
459 Posts
personally, in the event of rear damage to my bike, I'd rather snap off a swingarm slider than trash the axle

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I've always been told to NOT run swingarm spool sliders. The lugs are designed to support the bike on a rearstand, not in a crash. If you crash with those sliders, there's a fair chance that you'll simply snap the lug off the swingarm. I've seen it happen. Just run spools.

If you want protection for your swingarm, get sliders that attach to the axle. The SV axle is hollow, right? If so, you can make sliders with a piece of threaded rod and some skateboard wheels like us 'tard guys do.
Regular spools can do the same thing. Run swingarm sliders...... Now you can't say you've always been told not to run swingarm sliders ;)

Is hard to forsee the ways you can snap-off things like swingarm sliders or frame sliders.

I use the slider/spools simply because they make a better aim point than regular spools when using my rear stand..... I'll take the risk.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
personally, in the event of rear damage to my bike, I'd rather snap off a swingarm slider than trash the axle
You won't trash the axle with axle sliders. They're designed to protect the axle and the swingarm. The axle can take far more load than the spool mounts.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So, the axle is hollow.. you put a piece of allthread through it and cap it off with sliders or skateboard wheels. You go go down and the bike is sliding.. you're telling me that rod won't bend or snap off? Granted that it is possible to shear off a swingarm slider, or rip the lug off the swingarm all together. But that damage seems more manageable to me.

I'm in now way negating the value of an actual axle slider, but I'm sure an axle slider isn't the save all in damage reduction equipment.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
swingarm sppol/sliders are the best invention ever. As soon as DZ re-opens I will get some axle sliders for the forks. for now here is a shot of my bike, notice DZ spool/slider in rear and Motosliders in front

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
So, the axle is hollow.. you put a piece of allthread through it and cap it off with sliders or skateboard wheels. You go go down and the bike is sliding.. you're telling me that when that rod won't bend or snap off? Granted that it is possible to shear off a swingarm slider, or rip the lug off the swingarm all together. But that damage seems more manageable to me.

I'm in now way negating the value of an actual axle slider, but I'm sure an axle slider isn't the save all in damage reduction equipment.
Supermoto guys crash a LOT and that's exactly what most supermotos use.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Im a big fan of Motovation stuff - it holds up well in crashes and is generally well made (high quality).

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Never heard a case of any swingarm spool or swingarm slider of any brand snapping the mount off of the swingarm on an SV.

Supermoto guys crash a LOT and that's exactly what most supermotos use.
Yep, and most SM bikes don't have swingarm slider mounting points either.
Axle sliders aren't necessarily any better or worse. Last time I rode a DRZ400SM, it was on a SM track in the rain w/ the stock D208s. I crashed and broke the axle slider right off. Does that mean swingarm sliders are superior in location? Of course not.

(Axle slider in this case wasn't made by me, Suzuki, or anyone spoken of here, BTW)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure that I've heard of an SV snapping the spool mounts. I know I've heard of it happening on other bikes though, and can't think of why an SV would be less prone to it.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure that I've heard of an SV snapping the spool mounts. I know I've heard of it happening on other bikes though, and can't think of why an SV would be less prone to it.
Depends on the design of the mounts. Lots of variables: Wall thickness? Bolt size? Bolt depth received? Weld required to hold them on or cast in? Length of said weld?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Never heard a case of any swingarm spool or swingarm slider of any brand snapping the mount off of the swingarm on an SV.

Yep, and most SM bikes don't have swingarm slider mounting points either.
Axle sliders aren't necessarily any better or worse. Last time I rode a DRZ400SM, it was on a SM track in the rain w/ the stock D208s. I crashed and broke the axle slider right off. Does that mean swingarm sliders are superior in location? Of course not.

(Axle slider in this case wasn't made by me, Suzuki, or anyone spoken of here, BTW)
Lot more to take into place - my R&G sliders on my 610 saw at least 8 times down - track, street, trails.....

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Depends on the design of the mounts. Lots of variables: Wall thickness? Bolt size? Bolt depth received? Weld required to hold them on or cast in? Length of said weld?
Oh cut it out - use some skateboard wheels on some threaded rod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts