Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing one of the ninja shock swaps while replacing my chain and swingarm buffer last night. Didn't do the swap, the reservoir is too big and I'm not sure of the life left in the ninja shock (from a wrecked '98 model, kid abused it too)...

Anyways, got the new buffer on the swingarm, cleaned everything all nice and purdy, then the giant pivot bolt/stud thingy won't go back in. I checked the threads on both ends with the lock nuts and they work ok, no tight spots or kinks. Thinking the threads running through the frame are what's causing the pivot to not screw in correctly.... Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix?

Will do more searching in the meantime, probably gonna break down and try to find a big tap and dye :( (say a prayer)

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
just curious, was the buffer really worn out with so few miles? my '07 with 55000 miles isn't showing much wear there.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
I've been doing swingarm [email protected] and I ran into the same problem.

Make sure to lift the swingarm into position and get the bolt lined up with the hole on the other end. It's kinda tricky but I think you're fine if you didn't really try and force it. Also are you turning the bolt in the correct direction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I think that because the locknut on the right side and the nut on the left side both have normal threads, when you try to turn one loose it tightens up the other. When I loosened the nut on the left side I guess it must have turned the swingarm pivot bolt just enough the overtighten the threads in the frame on the right side behind the locking nut.

To avoid this in the future, must remember to put a wrench on both sides and turn... My Bad...

The problem is fixed now though. The bolt's threads and the frame's threads were cleaned out using picks and q-tips to collect and metal shavings, then the swingarm bolt threads on the lock nut side were filed down SLIGHTLY, just to remove the sharpness on the bolt threads. This allowed more clearance for the bolt to pass through the frame threads even if there were imperfections left in the frame. (NOTE::: Someone way smarter than me figured that out, I was about to go quest for the largest tap and die kit on Earth... Thank goodness for smart people)

Thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just curious, was the buffer really worn out with so few miles? my '07 with 55000 miles isn't showing much wear there.
Forgot to answer... I looked at the buffer and you're right, I probably could have let that one go for awhile longer. Lately though I've been riding more aggressively and taking it out on some longer trips. It was caked with brake dust and dirt and grease, thought it was more worn than it was.... prob could've gotten another 20k out of it but figured since I was already there...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts