Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine told me about this and it's worked for me every time, of course you must think ahead in order for it to work effectively.

Scinario: You're riding along and you see a car stopped either wanting to merge into your lane or crossing your lane (left). You see this and start swerving in your lane (not crossing the double yellow) causing him/her to pause and second and find out what you're doing. This may make you look stupid but at least they notice you. :p ;D

Grav.

N

·
0 Posts
I'll do it, but just a little wiggle not a full-on slalom. I do it to make my headlight slightly more noticeable. With the SVS a little wiggle probably wouldn't do much since the headlights are frame-mounted.

:)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I frequently wiggle in my lane when other vehicles are around, especially new vehicles merging in or turning in from a side road. Even if it's no more than just dodging a pothole or a manhole cover. I feel like that little bit of motion makes me a bit more visible...something moving from one side of the lane to the other should catch the eye quicker than if I were in the center of the lane not moving. Besides, as long as you arent swerving enough to unsettle the bike or be unsafe, what does it hurt?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I like to wave my arms up in the air like I am trying to fly. Then I go into doing heel clickers while sitting on the bike. I feel this all makes me more noticeable.

Just kidding ;D

I do swerve back and forth in my lane often. Playing the old "Manholes of Death" avoidance game. For entering intersections I am SUPER cautious of the left in front of me threrat. I usually slow down to panzy pace.

ac

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep...  Did it last night on the way home.  Being unpredictable at times is a bonus (if that makes sense).  It's just too easy to blend in especially in traffic.  Occasionally, I'll even flash my lights if I need a little more help.  Whatever it takes to get their attention and stay upright.

Maybe I'll try a heel clicker next time.  BTW the superman seat grab works well.  Problem is I keep wearing out the toes on my boots :'(.

·
Registered
737 Posts
gahdzila said:
<snip>... if I were in the center of the lane not moving. <snip>...
I'm not sure you're doing this, but you really SHOULDN'T be riding in the centre of the lane anyway.

It's better to ride in the outer (right or left) third of the lane.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maritan said:
I'm not sure you're doing this, but you really SHOULDN'T be riding in the centre of the lane anyway.

says who? im fairly sure thats entirely situational, and my MSF teacher would back me on that.

speaking of the MSF course, the instructor did mention that light swerving (just going back and forth a couple times within your lane) is a good way to re-alert the cagers of your presence. if youre cruising down the interstate with no movement relative to the rest of traffic, you tend to blend in and get lost. movement=visibility=good. :)

edit: center-riding is probably a bad idea if theres a lot of oil buildup that collects right down the middle of lanes, ill agree with maritan in that situation.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Maritan said:

can you explain?

only reason I can think of not to ride in the center is, like osirisdean said, if there's a lot of oil buildup.

for the record, my overall prefered area is just to the left of the center of the lane. just my comfort zone, I guess.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's called lane blocking.  I was taught it in Canada when I started to ride, although the MSF makes no mention of it.  It basically teaches you to take up space in your lane so cagers don't try and pass you while you are still in the lane.  If that makes any sense.  When in right lane, you ride in left third of lane and when in left lane you ride in right third.  In the middle lane you adjust based on traffic.

J

·
0 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
There's a special device I use on my bike in case people don't see me. It's called a horn.
I use my brakes...

Or my throttle depending...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
It's harder to judge distane and speed of a bike when it's coming right towards you- but if you move across the driver's line of vision you're far more likely to be seen. It's a phenomenon known as "looming" and turns up in all sorts of situations.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Normally if I see a car on the right or left, I move to the opposite side of the lane just to give me that extra couple feet in case they don't see me. Hopefully that movement in itself is enough for them to see me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
There's a special device I use on my bike in case people don't see me. It's called a horn.
with cagers blasting their stereos... and the loudness of the SV horn... I wouldnt rely on your special device... ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ASCSurveyor said:
There's a special device I use on my bike in case people don't see me.  It's called a horn.
Too bad they don't make a horn that can be directional with a freq. that shatters windows. ;D :p That would get their attention too. In all seriousness I've used my OEM horn and it doesn't do much but annoy the bugs.

Grav.

·
Registered
737 Posts
osirisdean and gahdzilla - The oil and coolant that cars keep dumping in the middle of the lane is probably the #1 reason to avoid the centre of the lane. It's probably a geographical thing too. Since we never really get much rain here in AZ, the oil that gets dropped stays there forever.

Jason the Canuck explained it the other reason.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I do a number of things like this to make sure others are aware of my presence.

I tend to...I guess... knife through traffic - almost always going faster than the flow of traffic. One of the magazines called it something akin to moving like a shark through the water. Flowing with traffic, to me, makes you a target.

I'll sometimes (with preparation) swerve, accelerate hard, brake hard, run a gear or two tall.

Some or all of this makes you look like a nutball a-hole or jerk from time to time. But - the mission was accomplished.

If they think you're an a-hole, that's fine - they're at least THINKING about you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have always noticed that if I do some swerves, most of the time to make sure my tires are doing alright, that the cage behind me will back off at least two car-lengths and STAY there. It works great if somebody is riding your ass too.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Maritan said:
osirisdean and gahdzilla - The oil and coolant that cars keep dumping in the middle of the lane is probably the #1 reason to avoid the centre of the lane. It's probably a geographical thing too. Since we never really get much rain here in AZ, the oil that gets dropped stays there forever.

Jason the Canuck explained it the other reason.
Maybe it is a geographical thing...we see PLENTY of rain down here in the soggy bayous of Louisiana. Sure, in some areas there's enough of that crap on the road that you can see it, and I definitely do my best to dodge it. It's slick, and it's certainly a hazard. It's mostly near stop lights, parking lots, and other places where cages sit still for a period of time. It is not all over the place down every road here. If it were, I probably would avoid the center of the lane, too.

And as for the other reason, I completely agree with Jason...with exception to the fact that it WAS taught in my MSF class.

But I dont think it's inherently dangerous to ride in the center of the lane. I dont think it's terribly smart or safe to just ride the middle of the lane and nowhere else...it wouldnt be terribly smart or safe to cling to any line and never move around, IMO. I do use the center of the lane when I feel I need to. I actually use ALL of the lane at some point on nearly every ride.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
There's a special device I use on my bike in case people don't see me.  It's called a horn.
I use my horn, too. My opinion on it is it MIGHT help, and it doesnt hurt...so why not?

I do agree with imdbui and GraVitY on this point, in that the OEM horn is not loud enough. Probably sometimes helpful in town, useless at highway speeds.

I'm planning to get myself some Fiamm horns, just havent gotten up the gumption to do it yet. Theyre VERY loud and have an annoying tone that gets you noticed. My MSF instructor had a pair, I heard them, so I'm convinced!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts