Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I traded my bike with a 2008 Yamaha FZ6 owner and we went for an hours ride from Seal Beach south to Newport Beach along PCH and then back inland on the highway. . . this is my ride report:

The FZ6 is a smart looking motorcycle and I've always like its lines as well as the dual under-the-tail exhaust. This one was Cobalt Blue and contrasted nicely with my Pearl Yellow 05 SV650. Sorry - no pics : too busy riding.

The FZ has no clutch switch so the bike will start without pulling in the clutch. The fit and finish on the FZ is superior to my SV's.

The seat is harder but it is more comfortable over an hours time than my SV's.

The seat is just about the exact same heigth as my SV stock seat. I can just get the balls of both feet on the ground riding either bike.

With the FZ, I noticed that the turn signal and other switches have a better "feel" than the SV's. . . pretty subjective but they are noticeably more precise and have less slop than the SV's.

The FZ has a fuel guage with bars showing level.

Starting out the first thing I noticed is that the FZ is much quieter than my SV. I have a Yoshi Tri Oval, no baffles. . . his had after market Leo Vince. . . so makes sense but my point is that I had problems hearing the FZ's engine since I had earplugs in.

The FZ is very, very smooth in all gears, a little buzzy at higher speeds, though. The transmission shifts much smoother than the SV's.

The FZ is more "flickable" I noticed as well and seem lighter.

This is despite the fact that the seating position of the FZ is more standard than the SV naked.

On the SV, my legs are bent more and I have to lean forward a bit to reach the bards. On the FZ, Legs are less bent (noticeably more comfortable) and there is viturally no lean needed to reach the bars so I am sitting more up straight. . its more comfortable.

The FZ's fairing also provides good and noticeable protection although there is wind buffet on the helmet at higher speeds but no head pushing back.

It is a warmer rider than my SV. (less wind blast).

The FZ seems to be a slower bike. Definitely less get up and go at all speeds except when you are doing a rip-roaring acceleration or if you are at a high speed / RPM and want to go even faster.

All this said, the SV is more fun to ride.
The FZ is more comfortable to ride.
The SV is more of a gutteral, mechanical type of riders bike.
The FZ is a comfortable touring/cruising platform.
The SV continuously gives you that acceleration that I seek and the FZ seems like it has no power at lower speeds RPS but if you crank the throttle it will do it for you provided you are fast on the shifter.

Given all the commuting I do (20 miles each way 5 days a week unless it is raining), would I buy and FZ ? Well, I'm really tempted to because it is the perfect commuter platform sans the streetfighter type of powerband I need when in heavy traffic. . . but I'm not sure if I can live without the joy the SV brings me. . . i.e. I do not think I would trade comfort for the fun factor my SV offers. . . .

I think the ideal in this case would be to get the SV650S and put the naked triple tree and bars and higher windshield on it. . . .

but this said, still thinking about that FZ.

·
Registered
26 Posts
nice write up, def is a great comparison for anyone looking into either of those bikes. I'm still reading and researching for a new bike this spring and am really loving the barebones, utility that the sv offers, even with the sacrifice of some comforts.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
good comparison. it's very noticeable how much fun you have on your SV in comparison to the FZ. maybe someday right...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good comparison. it's very noticeable how much fun you have on your SV in comparison to the FZ. maybe someday right...
Maybe an FZ6 when I grow out of the SV or when I become too old to have bent knees, hunched back, stressed wrists, and the chill of windblast on my chest and arms. . . . (like maybe in 5 years ? or sooner ?)

FZ s not a bad bike, just not as much fun.

the FZ owner offered to do a weekend swap which might be something I need to take him up on.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Last year, when I decided to look at bikes, the FZ6 was one of the bikes I considered. In fact, it was right next to a new SV-naked and I could tell that the comfort level would be better. And generally speaking, I liked the looks somewhat better too. But I found a used 07 SV with less than 200 miles and based on cost savings decided to go with the SV. Since then, I have installed risers (up and back) and I don't think I could ride the bike without them. I also have a windscreen, but now that I have a new full-face helmet I'll be taking that off after winter. My 3/4 helmet was a problem with the wind.
I enjoy my SV, and would not want something that has less performance. If I had to do over, I'll probably go with a Honda 919, or my SV.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sounds like the typical difference between v-2 vs. I-4 in the shifting/rpm/accel. dept.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The torque the sv has makes me feel like a hooligan rippin from stop light to stoplight. Even on fast rides in the middle of nowhere I'm almost never let down by the top end and its really fun comin out of a corner and just going wide open throttle for a few gears on the sv. I would miss that torque and sound on an I4 motor unless it was 1k cc but I'd kill myself on that. I might consider a FZ1 though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The FZ seems to be a slower bike. Definitely less get up and go at all speeds except when you are doing a rip-roaring acceleration or if you are at a high speed / RPM and want to go even faster.
A friend has an FZ6, and I've ridden it. If you ride it like you ride the SV (<8k) it does feel a bit pokey, but it redlines about 5k higher. You're supposed to ride it up higher in the revs, and if you do, it's waaaaaay faster. Spooky fast IMO.

I still prefer my SV though. If I wanted a bike that fast, I'd get a proper race replica. Plus I'm a sucker for twins.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
The FZ6 was my first choice for a bike.

The dealer did not take me seriously.

I bought a SV and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
WHen I was looking for a bike, my 3 choices were the SV650s, the FZ-6, and the Ninja 650. I just happened to find the SV first. I'm glad I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts