Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there boys and girls I am rather new here and I am going to swap out my 01 sv650s engine for the 03 sv1000 engine.

I am going the swap the front forks, swing arm, wiring harness, wheels front and back, as well as the front console and the key ignition system, as well as the exhaust system but that gos with out saying.;D;D

The main idea in this whole mission is to have an fuel injected 03 sv1000 with the old school 01 sv650 look/comfy seat so the whole look front faring frame and what not.

so the reason I am posting this is to see if one of you is as crazy as my self and has done the same thing and if so what to look out for in the way of problems that will not allow my dream to come to fruition^_^.

I know one of the hick ups is going to be the front steering coll om in the baring match up and what not but that is all that I know of so.
any help would be most helpful thanks.

· Registered
9,975 Posts
^ love them. i hate TLR's but TLS are so nice.

i heard the 1000's wont fit in the 650's frame. too wide.

· Premium Member
5,626 Posts
yes and if it is in fact too wide there are spacer rings that I can cut in half if need be.
I don't buy that for a second. I remember seeing an article about a TL motor going into a 1st gen SV650 frame back before the SV1k came out, and it was major surgery on the frame to get it to work. The guy who did it and had it featured in a major bike mag said it wasn't worth the effort.

I should say that in general I'm very much in favor of oddball swaps, but this one just makes no sense. What you're saying is that you want a TL1000 or an SV1000.

· Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
post that link to that article I would like to read it and I have faith that it will work and that is why I posted this plan in the first place to i could bounce this idea off of people here ^_^

· Premium Member
5,626 Posts
that is what I want my sv too look like sept with candy apple red ^_^
Then either get a TL1000S, or work on fitting 1st gen SV650 bodywork and tail unit to an SV1000 - these are by far your best options.

· Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then either get a TL1000S, or work on fitting 1st gen SV650 bodywork and tail unit to an SV1000 - these are by far your best options.
I see your point there but I do not want to go through all the work of registering the frame and engine if on paper it is an sv650 it will cost less to register and to insure.

· Premium Member
5,626 Posts
I see your point there but I do not want to go through all the work of registering the frame and engine if on paper it is an sv650 it will cost less to register and to insure.
The cost of registering and insuring an SV1k or TL1kS are nothing compared to the project you're planning.

· Registered
5,789 Posts
will the fork bolt right on? and is that true for 2nd gen 650s as well?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.