Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I got a bit of a problem. I tried searching, but I'm not getting any good/solid answers. Here's my problem; I bought an SW-Motech rack and a Large JCWhitney top case. The adapter plate it came with does not work without some modification. Is there any other adapter plates that will work with these two parts? I thought perhaps a Givi plate would work, but read a thread where someone had a problem with that one too. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
a give adapter kit for the motech rack will work with the Large matte black JC whit case. any other size case from JC whit i don't really know. The only "modification" needed is a few scrapes w/ a utility knife on the slots which hold the posts of the givi adapter plate, then it fits right on.

And I can't imagine why in the world the adapter they sent with your case wouldn't work with the case. Or are you saying the adapter plate doesn't work with the rack? If so, I can't see it being too difficult to drill a few holes in the adapter plate.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I read on a sport touring message board that the large JC whitney case worked with givi racks. I tried the same thing as you, SW motech racks with the JC whitney case...didn't work for me, either. I ended up returning the JC whitney case and buying a givi case.

The JC Whitney case *probably* would work with the SW Motech racks with Givi adapter plates with slight modification to the JC Whitney case (ie - shaving the slots at the rear of the case a bit). The latch is the same, and the distances between the latch and the rear slots is the same, but the rear slots are slightly different (I can't remember...they were either a bit too narrow, or a bit too wide or something).

Or, you could permanently bolt the adapter plate that came with the case to the rack.

The Givi brand racks must be slightly different, because I read from several posters that they made the givi brand racks work with this case with no modification.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts

givi rack, givi mokokey mounting plate, large jc whitney top case
everything fits with NO modifications

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. It's the plate that will not line up with the SW-Motech rach. I know the Givi rack will work with the JCWhitney case, but with the SW-Motech, it's a different story.

Ctbandit: so you're saying I could use the Givi adaptory plate with a little modification? I don't really want to have to drill the plate I have to make it work. If all I have to do is shave a post for it to work using a Givi plate, I'll do that instead.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks everyone. It's the plate that will not line up with the SW-Motech rach. I know the Givi rack will work with the JCWhitney case, but with the SW-Motech, it's a different story.

Ctbandit: so you're saying I could use the Givi adaptory plate with a little modification? I don't really want to have to drill the plate I have to make it work. If all I have to do is shave a post for it to work using a Givi plate, I'll do that instead.

Thanks again everyone.
Yea the givi adapter pate that they sell for the motech rack will be an almost perfect fit for the JC case, like pecha has on his bike except with the motech rack instead of the givi rack. You'll be shaving the slots of the case not the posts on the adapter plates. Takes 30 seconds.

but, I still think you ca just use the plate it came with and adapt it to the sw motech rack. If you've got time take some pictures of how the plate looks over the rack and where the holes are so we can see how far off it is.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure, I can take some photos when I get home. The way it sits over the Motech rack, either the two holes towards the passenger seat are aligned and the hole near the tail is off, or viceversa.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, the screws that came with the adaptor are too long as well. Nothing a trip to a parts store won't fix though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sure, I can take some photos when I get home. The way it sits over the Motech rack, either the two holes towards the passenger seat are aligned and the hole near the tail is off, or viceversa.
I think lining up the two holes that are good and drilling for the third hole wouldn't be that hard. If you don't have a power drill with a metal bit set ask a friend/neighbor to borrow one. Just line up the other two holes, mark the third, drill the right sized hole, and your good.

If you don't want to do that go ahead and order the givi adapter plate kit for the rack.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Sounds like you need a SWMotech "Givi Monokey" adaptor for $35 at Twisted Throttle....assuming the JCWhitney case is utilizing the Givi "Monokey" standard mount system. There is also a "Monolock" adaptor but that's used on fewer Givi topcases.

The adaptor will utilize 3 quicklock studs that attach it to the Alu-Rack and then the topcase will (should) snap-lock right into the adaptor plate.

What guys have done to avoid the purchase of an adaptor plate is permanantly mount the cases OEM adaptor directly to the Alu-Rack like this one shown on their site...picture the aluminum portion of the rack in this photo as your Alu-Rack and the waffle plastic adaptor as the one that came with your topcase.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/6616/?RefererURL=/trade/productview/603/69/

By far the cleanest and best install is with a SW Motech adaptor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts