Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in an SV but only the naked version at the moment. Trouble is, the autotrader in my province has about 15 for sale, but none are the naked model.

Is getting nekid as easy as taking off the fairing and wiring up some new lights? Maybe some mounts for the turn signals also? How would this affect wiring for the speedo and tach if at all?

I did a quick search but could not find any definitive answers....if u can help, thanx so much!!

peace
gribbs

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
the two very succesful transitions on this board were done by Yellow Nudist and Evil Bologna. check out this thread:

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=38745.0

its bit long but it discusses some of the apects of the transition. its not the easiest thing in the world from what i understand but very do-able

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
you know a year or two ago, neither did i. but these days i love the naked look. when done right it looks mean and has a lot of personality. look at don's bike for example. its a very personal project and it looks awesome. the rawness of the naked is what got me. right now i have the S but my next bike will probably be a naked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know of a link discussing what mechanical changes need to be made then? Thanx for that link, i have been checking out their bikes numerous times since i joined the site a couple months back.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It really depends on what you want to keep and what you don't. If you plan on keeping clipons, the transition is very easy. The hardest part is deciding what you will do about gauges, headlight, and all that wiring.

For gauges, I went with the Veypor. They are expensive, but so are the naked guages off Ebay. Veypor does a lot more and costs less. If you want to keep it looking like a stock bike, then you may want to go with the SV gauges. If you do go with stock gauges, you have to make a bracket to mount them, otherwise you have to get the upper triple from a naked sv and the bracket for the gauges bolt on to it. If you get the upper triple from a naked sv, you will have to either then mount bars or get some clipons. Either way you have to modify the wiring harness. I cut my harness way down to get rid of all the excess wiring, then used connectors from Radio Shack to make my own connectors. This way, if I need to take things off I can, much like when the bike was stock. Be very careful to leave yourself slack and as you are doing the wiring constantly turn the bars from lock to lock to make sure you have plenty of wire as you turn. You don't want to get everything put together to realize you cut everything to short. To make everything look nice, I ordered some black braided sleeving online from somewhere like cables.com. It is black, looks really good, is easy to work with, and after a year is holding up without any fading. I got rid of all the lights except for my neutral light, oil pressure, and added a temp gauge instead of the light. I retained the low fuel light, but have been unsuccesful in getting it to work. I have used mileage ever since and only ran out of gas once (this was after a gearing change and forgot I would lose MPG :-[)

For a headlight, I used some universal brackets from Lockhart Phillips and the Busters headlights from the UK. It has worked well for me and I recently switched over to GSXR forks and was able to use the same setup. You can get a naked headlight bracket for the SV...if you go that route it has to be cut down and then welded back together. I cut some aluminum to make blinker mounts that attach to my LP headlight brackets.

I sold all my SVS stuff on Ebay or to members and had enough money left over after buying the SV stuff to get a hugger, new rear shock, solo tail, new springs (which are now for sale), a Buell flyscreen (still making a bracket to mount it), and some other bits and pieces.

All in all, I am very happy I did it and it was a great experience doing that much to change the look and feel of the bike. My first ride with the majority of the work done was a bit discouraging because over 80, it feels like you are going to be ripped off the bike. After a couple weeks though, you are used to it. I still want to get that flyscreen on to help with long trips. With all that fairing gone though, you see so much more of the road and your surroundings.........I love it. It has taken me over a year to get the bike to where I want it and will be getting it painted soon, but I took my time. Yellownudist seem like he did it in about a week and his bike looks awesome.

GOOD LUCK

Here are some links:

www.veypor.com
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/rs/showProduct.cgi Could not link directly, type in headlight and they come up in search
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=THL These are chrome, you can get black also.
http://cableorganizer.com/wire-management/ (They have lots more product since I ordered from them)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts