Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

541 - 560 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Looks like its coming along well!

I picked up a Stanley #26 and an old all-wood Auburn Tools jointer plane, along with a Disston saw, and two ancient Sargent shoulder and rabbet planes at the antique store the other day for $30. Planes look like they just need to be sharpened and tuned and they'll be ready to use. Will grab pics this weekend.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
Nice. I have a full set of "regluar" planes, from jointer to block, but don't have a proper bench, so learning to use them was less than fun. I might eventually get back into it, but I enjoy power tools and their speed too much to give them up yet.

I installed and tested the 220v line I installed yesterday. The shaper works and the table saw works, but something's going on in its switch box--it won't stay on after I release the button. Gotta trouble shoot the planer's switch box; it doesn't turn on at all.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm with you on the power tools. I use the hand planes mainly for a little jointing or for panels that won't fit through my 12.5" powered planer. If I can clean up a board nicely with a hand plane and then move to a cabinet scraper, I feel like I've saved some money on sandpaper.

What system do you use to sharpen your planes/chisels?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
I have a complete Norton water stone set up that I've used...three times? I've had it for...three years? It's a great set up, and sharpens blades very well, but I'm just not a hand tool user, though I see myself moving into chisels (which I've never used) soon if I start building furniture again. In particular, I want to build a Pennsylvania Spice Box in the months to come, and it'll take some hand tooling to complete.

Something like this:

http://www.schoolatnarrowbridges.com/SpiceChest.html

I tried to build one a decade ago, but it was beyond my skill level and I didn't have the time to finish it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I was actually eyeballing a Norton waterstone set myself...time to upgrade.

I saw a episode of Woodwright's Shop where Roy (or, Jeppetto as my wife calls him) was looking at an old spice chest that had hidden compartments and whatnot.

The guy on the link you posted, I think that required tools list is a little off-putting. Who cares if my plane is a LN or Veritas...if it's an old Stanley I paid 10 bucks for or something that works just as good, let's move on to something more important.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I had baby duty this weekend while my wife went and got her nails done (she let me go golfing in the morning, so its cool). Since I was a bit at the whim of the baby, and she was sleeping in her swing, I brought the plane upstairs and worked on it in the living room. I took it apart, took a card scraper to the base to get some grime off, and spent about 15 minutes refreshing the existing bevel and did a quick flattening of the back of the blade. Gave it a test run on some hard maple and it gave decent shavings. When I have time, I'm going to do a full restore on it and get the blade good and sharp. But for $8 and 15 minutes, not bad at all.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
It's alive!

There's some surface rust that needs some attention (WD40 and a Scotch pad) and the fence is covered in 20 years of grime from sitting in a shed. I need to put a new measuring tape on the rail and get a new cursor for the fence. After that, the next step is to modify the Rockler router table I have to fit onto the right extension fence. After that, an outfeed table. Then onto the next piece of equipment...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #550
Thanks, and...yes...it is pretty packed with some cool stuff.

20" RAS (That I'm trying to sell)
10" RAS (I used it often)
9"disc/6x48"belt sander (picked up with this saw)
14" Delta band saw with goodies (I've had for about 3 yrs)
12" Delta lathe (also three years)
12" Belsaw planer (picked up with the saw, almost finished refurbing it)
6" Jet jointer (picked up in March)
1.5hp Delta dust collector (got for free; the starter cap is bad)
10" Unisaw (gonna refurb next year)
13" Rigid portable planer (going to a friend when the Belsaw is running)
3/4hp bench shaper (Trying to sell)

I need more room. And money.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
Pretty much...means I have to wheel out each tool to use it, wheel it back when done, then wheel out the next. It's not too much of a burden--I don't have a production shop.

I'm in the process of rearranging and adding some more cabinets to make it work better. The front of the garage is clear so I can pull a bike or car in to work on it. Only the lathe, grinder, and RAS are permanently located, and I'm leaning towards building wheeled stand for the lathe.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Uh, got a little ambitious with my second ever wood working type project:

So the two cubbies in the back will get a lid for hideaway storage and the rest of the space will get a single piece of matching wood. Good idea?

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Sounds like a great place to hide a hand piece. Or a dozen. Are the other cubbies for shoes? Looks great.

I love the asbestos tiles.
The cubbies in the front are for shoes, yes.
The two boxes in the back will be for random storage.

And it's bowie. Asbestos tile is par for the course :p

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Nice closet storage. It's amazing how much those things can declutter the space. When you cut the lids, remember not to fit them too tight, once summer comes back around and the boards expand, you might have some trouble getting them open and/or shut. 1/8-1/4 inch should be enough.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Nice closet storage. It's amazing how much those things can declutter the space. When you cut the lids, remember not to fit them too tight, once summer comes back around and the boards expand, you might have some trouble getting them open and/or shut. 1/8-1/4 inch should be enough.
With pocket holes, I won't need to actually make any part of the lid that will protrude into the actual boxes so I'm not worry about that :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I wasn't thinking about the inside of the box, I was thinking the front half of the top would be fixed, and the back half, when shut, would be flush with it, and could press against the front half.

I love pocket holes. Really allows me to step up my pocket pool game.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I wasn't thinking about the inside of the box, I was thinking the front half of the top would be fixed, and the back half, when shut, would be flush with it, and could press against the front half.

I love pocket holes. Really allows me to step up my pocket pool game.
Oh, spot on! I figured the space created when I actually cut the boards (make one giant piece THEN cut the covers out) would be enough.

LOL

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
So...more of my horse trading is paying off...if I can put it to use...

I sold the 1945 Delta jointer and used the cash to get:

In the deal comes a router table (which I'll use if I can figure out a way to mount it to my table saw, else it gets tossed/given away) and a Rigid router with fixed and plunge bases.

Total out-of-pocket expense: $0.00

Oh, and I finally turned some more pens on my lathe last night. Only have pics of one; a pen for a friend's best man at his wedding next week. I turned a fountain pen for Jessi and a seam ripper for her, too. I'll try to get pics up soon.

541 - 560 of 759 Posts