3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt...

Deer (whitetail)
Coyote
Pheasant
Bear tags coming next year.
Various small game.

Percentage wise, most of my hunting time is Bow Hunting. I use a Diamond The Rock 2.0 with a 3 pin sight, and a whisker bisket. Shooting Carbon Express maxima blue streaks. Tipped with 100gr G5 Montec broadheads. I fletch all my own, and most of my family and friends arrows. I can do some minor tuning but I leave most of that to the pro's at Buckrub Outfitters. (I highly recommend that shop if you are in the Pewaukee area.) In a target setting I'm accurate out to 40 yards. I shoot out to 80 just goofing around, but I don't plan on launching arrows any more than 30 yards in the woods.

I'm itching like crazy for this bow season. We've had lots of good deer sightings and great trail cam pics. Plus I have 4 day weekends every week so I plan on spending an unreasonably large amount of time in the woods.

40 days till Bow season opens up in WI. I've been counting the days for a week now. I plan on doing a lot of filming this year. I usually take a camera in the woods, and I've gotten some hunts on film, but usually they are just before and after shots. No impact shots gotten just yet.

My college loans out HD video cameras for free, so I'm going to be borrowing those more often and trying my hand at Outdoor Filming and a bit of editing.

So, I figured we could use this as a good spot to say what you hunt, what you use, tell stories, post pics, and do some good old fashion BSing, and everything else that comes with a good hunting group.

Also, if you haven't yet, Watch "Escanaba in Da' Moonlight" Great hunting camp movie.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
In the last year I have hunted for (and taken home):
Pheasant
Rabbit
Antelope

I put in for deer tags this year, even though I may end up moving depending on how the job hunt goes. Either way I'm pretty sure that since I already have a combo big/small/fishing license I should be OK with coming back to Colorado as a "resident hunter" this fall.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I've been wanting to get into hunting, but florida hunting never really enticed me. Now that I'm moving to Oregon, I might start.

What are the average costs of hunting?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I hunt deer during rifle/gun season. I used to bow hunt many years ago and I'm thinking of taking it back up again as I'd like the extra time in the woods and the timing for deer season around here doesn't give you much time during their rut.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been wanting to get into hunting, but florida hunting never really enticed me. Now that I'm moving to Oregon, I might start.

What are the average costs of hunting?
It all depends on how you go about it. It CAN be one of the most expensive hobbies in the world.

Licensing varies. I can't give you a straight answer there. But for a large game animal I'd estimate it at anywhere from $10-$200

From there you have gear, you can use handmedowns on the cheap, or spend as much money as you want.

A rifle/bow, Once again, you can borrow, or buy a used or inexpensive one. Or spend thousands of dollars.

Land, There's always public land, or leases, or guided hunts, or private land, etc etc.

It really comes down to how much do you want to spend. In theory you could hunt for the cost of licensing and transportation.

Other things to consider is game processing. Do you know how to skin butcher your kill? Or would you have to pay someone to do it for you?

Answering that question with a cover all answer is pretty tough. I suppose there is the "average ammount spent" But that is probably far from what the minimum cost of getting it done is.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I hunt:

Duck
Geese
pheasant
Deer
Elk
Bear

Use either a 12 gauge shot gun or a 30.06. For Duck and Geese, primary method is hunting from kayak.
Wow! You hunt duck with a 30.06?!?!?

Sorry I had to get my smartass out a little bit.

I hunt:
Deer (very occasionally) Rem 700 .308
Pheasant Rem 870 12 ga
Grouse Rem 870 12 ga

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I havent hunted in years. I swear every year Im going to go but I never seem to find time. I used to hunt Deer and Squirrel. Maybe this year I can get back into it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Whitetail
Got a 300# black bear 2 years ago
Random small game
Crow
Goose
Pheasant
Some trapping
And I just put in for a wolf tag which is new this year in WI.

I use either a 12 guage, .44 lever action rifle, 30-06 bolt action, my new R-AR15 30 REM AR or my trusty tack driving Ruger 10-22 semi auto.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You have until the end of august. Yes, wayy too many wolves around here, its so bad the deer population has greatly dwindled

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've only seen them while in cars, it will be interesting trying to hunt one and to get them to even come in.

What zone do you have a bear tag for? I Help my dad run his guide service in Hatfield, we do bear hunts.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've only seen them while in cars, it will be interesting trying to hunt one and to get them to even come in.

What zone do you have a bear tag for? I Help my dad run his guide service in Hatfield, we do bear hunts.
Zone A. Just outside of ladysmith is where I'll be hunting.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Other things to consider is game processing. Do you know how to skin butcher your kill? Or would you have to pay someone to do it for you?
Well, I am never afraid of learning, I self taught many things, and I'm that type of guy that, when interested in something, I would research, learn from books, watch videos and then go try it.

I have some experience skinning rabbits, but that's as far as I know.

I would like to hunt mainly deer/elk, fairly big game that I can freeze and eat, or dehydrate. I don't like the idea of killing wolves, bears and animals I cannot eat.

I guess I would go for a decent rifle, some camo gear, and the license to start. I don't want to put too much money into it unless I really like it.

Maybe It would be wiser to go for those pre-organized hunting trips before investing money.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Best advice I can give is find friends who are willing to help you learn and take you hunting. It's really not something people just pick up and do.

It would be very dificult (for me) to learn how to process deer from books. I've been helping butcher since I was 8 and I'm just starting to get quick and efficient at it. Granted it was only a deer or so a year, but still. It takes time.

Who says you cant eat bear? Bear Steak is the best steak I've ever had.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Well, I am never afraid of learning, I self taught many things, and I'm that type of guy that, when interested in something, I would research, learn from books, watch videos and then go try it.

I would like to hunt mainly deer/elk, fairly big game that I can freeze and eat, or dehydrate. I don't like the idea of killing wolves, bears and animals I cannot eat.

I guess I would go for a decent rifle, some camo gear, and the license to start. I don't want to put too much money into it unless I really like it.

Maybe It would be wiser to go for those pre-organized hunting trips before investing money.
If you know how to skin and process a rabbit, then a deer is really no different, just bigger. Best thing is to go out with a group that has experience and then if one gets a deer, volunteer to do the work under their supervision.

Butchering the meat you can take it to a pro or do it yourself. If you do it yourself you might not get all the pretty cuts or the correct cuts a butcher will get, but it is not hard to get close enough. All you need is a good knife set and a grinder to make ground out of the small bits of meat and scraps you will have.

Good rifle can be found, doesn't have to be fancy. If you are going for elk, look for something like a 30.06. Cammo, you can spend a lot of money here, but you don't need too. Walmart sells cheap cammo stuff. plain earth colors will work. Then need a good knife, rope and game bags.

If you are really interested in hunting, let me know. I am in a group that welcomes new hunters.

·
Registered
996 Posts

Bear is excellent meat, honesty when its done right in a burger its hard to tell its any different from beef, just a little sweeter.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts