Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
January

svrocket

First of all, let me thank my wife for her constant support (even though she likes it better fully faired); then all of you SV Rider community for helping me perform all my modifications. I have to say that this site is my favorite. I got most of my ideas from the coolest customized bikes ever from this site, and as everybody says …… I am not done jet.

Everything started as a brand new 2006 SV650S; I have done from the simplest modifications to a custom exhaust, and all this without spending a ton of money, that’s the beauty of the SV. My budget was $400.00 out of pocket expenses, the rest was paid by the bike itself when I sold the fairings and other parts, and this could be lowered to $200.00 in a two year period (if I sell the rear wheel and tire.)

Each bike shows the personality and individuality of each of you, and even though you listen to people say that your bike is ugly as hell (Alex) don’t pay attention and keep moving forward, as long as you like it that should be enough to you.

Now let me tell you a little bit about the modifications on my baby on a chronological order and price:

K&N Filter-------------------------$70.00

Fender eliminator---------------$3.00

ELD turn signals------------------$15.00

Mufflerectomy------------------$2.00 (courtesy of SVrider.com)

Demon fairing-------------------$100.00

Custom bracket for fairing---$4.00

H3 halogen-----------------------$30.00

Bar end rear view mirrors ---$45.00

Removed snorkel--------------$0.00 (Idea courtesy of Svrider.com)

Tank raiser----------------------$0.00 (Idea courtesy of Svrider.com)

SuperTrapp exhaust-----------$150.00

Custom mount for ST---------$100.00

Z1000 Radiator covers--------$50.00 (For sale section Svrider.com)

F3 rear wheel+Tire-------------$150.00 (Idea courtesy of Svrider.com)

Michelin Pilot Power-----------$0.00 (you don’t supposed to count this)

Custom paint---------------------$130.00

Spray for forks, etc-------------$30.00 (Idea courtesy of Svrider.com)

Thank you again for all of you that vote for me, even though I could contemplate other bikes for the beginning of the year, there is nothing better than looking at mine. It is an honor, so thank you again.

Roger

The Competition: aaldape, donniej, LSCYCLING, martin_j001, mullerjd, nillie, ShaneB, slikna99, Spierings, SVXR650, vaughan, wacky_woodchuck, weasel, Zuki

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
tlr709

Well first of all I would like to thank everyone that voted for me! What I'd like to do is to give a complete history of the bike from start to finish. Well, from start to the point it is at now! (We all know that stuff like this is NEVER finished!)

The bike was bought as a wreck fairly cheap as a second bike and wanted to do a “few” things to make it different and my own. I have always been a big fan of a SSSA and already had one that I was going to try and put on my other SV. But I bought the SSSA at the peak of riding season and was not about to have my bike in pieces after realizing the amount of work it was going to take!

The bike when purchased was a bone stock blue 2002 sv650s that had been customized by a Dodge Durango that didn’t see it behind it when backing up! There was not a unbroken piece of bodywork on the bike, along with bent forks and rear wheel. It would not even roll into my shop! It had to be carried in! The whole story seemed kind of odd but, whatever, I was getting a good deal and it was what the seller had described to me. Or so I thought. I had asked if there was any problems with the motor and was told no it turns over but wont start. So I’m thinking not a problem, as long as this thing is turning over and not leaking, I’m good! Long story short here, there was a crack in the engine case on the left side... So I'm thinking that this guy was really good at playing dumb or just didn’t know. Either way its mine now, he has my money, I have nothing usable other than a frame, gas tank, and subframe.

At this point I realize that the project just got bigger and time to get this bike on the road grew. So I figured that I was going to “do it up”. I pulled the swingarm off of the bike, dusted off the SSSA in the corner, started taking measurements and looking at the difference of the two. Which was big where the shock linkage & dogbones mounted to the swingarm. First thing was to get the swingarm into the frame of the bike, make sure that the chain would line up and the wheel would be centered in the frame at the same time. After some help from a friend of mine at a local machine shop I had a swingarm mounted in the frame and everything lined up. From here I had to figure out how I was going to get the shock and exhaust thru the hole in the swingarm, which was way smaller than the stock one. What had to be done was open the hole in the swingarm for the room I needed. So after a lot of measuring of the stock swingarm I headed back to the machine shock to put a 270 degree cut on the shock hole and enlarge it to 5.5" in diameter. After this was done I had to brace the top and bottom of the freshly cut hole to themselves inside of the hollow swingarm. Using cardboard, I made my braces, transferred them to 6061 aluminum and welded them in place. Now I have to close off the hole! I headed back to the metal shop hunting for a 5.5 diameter piece of aluminum in 6061. Using the same methods I made my template, then transferred it to the tube of 6061. All that is left is to figure out how to get the shock linkages mounted up as if it was stock. My goal here was to keep the geometry of all this as close to factory as I could to not effect the handling of the bike. So what I came up with was to machine down and add two grooves in the vfr swingarm, then make a aluminum block that would be a press fit into it, then weld it in place. This block would match the same location on this swingarm from the pivot point of the frame as a stock sv swingarm. Needless to say, it is **** near spot on! The bearings in the block are the factory Suzuki bearings.

I now had to get to work on the exhaust, which I had already decided that I wanted to go with an undertail setup. At the time the only bike with it was the Honda 600RR. A friend of mine happened to have a 600RR that he had put a full system on. So I purchased a Yoshimura header for the sv and mounted it on the bike. Which wasn't simple. I had to do a bit of changes on the rear cylinder head pipe to get it thru the swingarm. I cut the yosh header, welded it to the stock headpipe to where my attachment point of the header is now under the swingarm. I also had to cut the part passing thru the swingarm and angle it towards the footpeg about 3-4 degrees. The attachment point under the swingarm is hand made out of flat stainless. I then got his stock header for the 600RR and rear muffler then started looking, measuring, and hold stuff in place and just doing some good ole “eye balling of things”. The diameter of the stock 600RR header at the outlet was the same as the yosh so I cut the yosh, then welded the upward turn part of the 600RR header to the yosh. There was a big section that had to be made out of flat stainless and welded in place on the bottom of the joint of the to the two pieces to give it a smooth look. And even more important, good flow. This shows the majority of the exhaust work on this part.

After this I purchased a slip-on for the 600RR, this actually was very simple to get mounted. It bolted right to the inside the subframe from the measurements taken previously and the placement of the upward turn part of the factory 600RR header when welded to the yosh header. The only thing that had to be done with this was to remove about 1" of length out of the pipe right before the mounting point. If you look closely you can see the weld.

The battery box and undertray had to be made next. This was not too complicated, just using construction paper and transferring it to aluminum this is what I came up with.

With the rear of the bike about finished now the only thing left was to machine the VFR rear axle and hub to insert custom made wheel pins in the correct location to accept the Ducati wheel. After that, there was an axle to be machined to hold the wheel in place since the VFR used lug nuts like a car and the Ducati uses one single 46mm nut. What we did with this is machined a tapered axle that would accept the factory size Ducati wheel nut on one side, and the other would accept a castle nut to tighten it down inside of the VFR hub.

For the front of the bike I used the entire Buell headlight set up. With this is used the side plates from the Buell as well. It closed off the sides of the headlight and instrument area and gave me a place to hide the wiring. I had to get creative with the brackets that I had to make to get it all on there and looking proper. And the Buell side plates had a access hole for the key to be mounted. If you look on the side here you can see the key in the ignition.

I used a Dakota Digital instrument cluster, which is a very clean, everything in one gauge cluster. I have been using a autometer white face temperature gauge which I need to replace with the matching one from Dakota digital, but just have not gotten to that yet! The plate that the gauges sit in is made out of a flat piece of aluminum with carbon fiber attached to the top of it.

The majority of what is left is just bolt on stuff with maybe a few brackets here and there to get stuff to fit properly. All that was left to do was now take the entire bike apart and get everything powder coated. This is how the guy got it all!

From this point I just had to reassemble the bike.

After getting it all together there was a few more things added and changed but nothing too major. I swapped the gold handle bars for black. Changed the front turn signals for some smaller but brighter ones and last but not least added the wave rotors on the front. I have a few more things planned, but I can't tell right now! The one person that knows better keep quiet too!!!!!

The entire build process of this bike was about a time of two years. There were times when I was ready to just give up and say to hell with it. It would sit for a month or two, then I would decide to tinker with it a little more. The more I tinkered the closer it got to being done. As things got closer to being done I really started getting anxious about the bike being finished cause I could really see it coming together! Now that it has been done for a few years and I have had the opportunity to put this bike in about all the situations I could put it and myself in, from just some daily around town riding to a week long trip to the national SV rally! I am SO glad that I didn’t give up when the aggravation level of the project was so high. It has proven itself to be the best do it all bike I have ever owned. The great part of it that is, regardless of whether your bike has been highly modded or is close to bone stock, I believe the majority of us will agree to that!!
I’m sure there is more I could type about the bike, with finer details. Hope I covered most of what anyone would have questions for!

Thanks again to everyone that has voted for me this time and any other time!! It is very flattering that my bike is appreciated by so many here!!
THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

'04 GSX-R600 forks, clipons
'04 GSX-R600 front wheel, hand polished
'07 GSX-R600 front fender
'05 YZF-R1 calipers, lines
'02 GSX-R750 rotors
'03 SV1000 master cylinder
CRG short brake lever, OEM shorty clutch lever (snapped!)
R6 throttle mod
Acerbis Blitz headlight
Powermadd handguards
Ebaytastic barend mirrors (getting replaced ASAP, can't stand them)
UNI pod filters
Custom electronics, sensor, and battery tray under tank
SportVue MC1 HUD
Custom satin paint on tank
Painted engine w. stainless bolt kit
Honda radiator springs
SV1000 belly pan
Stock exhaust polished and chopped
'03 ZX-6R shock
520 chain conversion
15 tooth front, 50 tooth rear sprockets
CBR600F3 rear wheel, hand polished w, 180 section rear tire, mounted w. Zoran's spacer kit
Handmade saddle supports
Hand-hammered 0.125 thickness aluminum saddle
Handmade plate/light bracket
Harrison Specialties LED brake lights and turn signals

Many many many many many thanks to my friends and other SV riders who have helped me through this project with parts, loaner bikes, information, moral support, ideas, etc. Couldn't have done it alone.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Zuki

Thank you to everyone who voted for me, this means a lot to me. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in helping me get the bike to this point. When I started this project, one of my goals was to build a bike worthy of SVotM. I learned a lot while doing this project. There are things that worked out well and there are things that I will know for next time. I owe a special thank you to my dad for all his help. Without his help the bike would not look the way it does.

And what better time to be on the front page than May…happy birthday to me!

Here is the link to the build thread and some pictures.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=98087

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=99083

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
June 2009 SVotM - mada

Wow, I am truly honoured to be nominated and winner of June 2009 SVOTM. It has been a long process to get here, and I have many people to thank including but not limited to my wife Carola, Dad, Mom, Zuki, Zuki's Dad, and Asus. It started with a crash and ended with something I only thought I'd find in my dreams. It wasn't always easy, but it was well worth it in the end. Thank-you very much to everyone who voted for me, and to anyone who left a kind message regarding the bike.

If you'd like to read the story on how this bike came to be, follow the link http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=100219

Now it's time for the rally to put her through her paces ;)

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
July 2009 - Nudist

Huge thanks to all that voted for my bike this month - it's truly great to win over such unique and well built competition.

This bike started from what I like to refer to as "A pile of parts". I started evaluating all the pieces I had around the shop and thought "Ya know, I think I could make a bike out of this stuff". A lot of measuring, cutting, welding, doing/redoing later - above is what came of it. There is a laundry list full of modifications, and the only outsourced element was the powdercoating.

Big thanks to my family and fiance for the support to get this bike done in a tight time frame for the National SV Rally. There are still a few little things I would like to change, but nothing significant.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
August SVotM Winner - Cider

Thank you to everybody for the nomination, votes, and kind words. It's an
honor to be selected as SV-of-the-month, especially considering the strong
competition. Thanks also for the great ideas, advice, and motivation from
board members that saw me through the project. Last, but not least, thanks
to my wonderful wife for graciously putting up with the madness!

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
September 2009 SV of the Month Winner - nille

Its really awesome my SV made it this month!
Thanks to ALL for your votes and comments,
MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

I bought the bike back in 2004 and have been modding it since.
Current state of mods are:

- Fighter headlight
- Koso RX1N speedo
- Innovate Motorsports XD16 AFR gauge
- GSXR 750 '07 forks
- GSXR 750 '07 modified stock lower triple
- GSXR 1000 '05 custom upper triple
- GSXR 750 '94-'95 310mm Brembo rotors
- black covered steel brake lines / gold fittings
- Rizoma SBK handlebar
- Rizoma grips
- Rizoma reverse barend mirrors
- Pazzo levers
- Kellermann LED signals
- rised fuel tank
- modified fuel tank mount
- SSR fuel cap
- SV 650S swingarm
- GSF Bandit 1200 front (120/70) and rear wheel (180/55) with
Indium-Grey-Metallic paint
- Bridgestone BT016 Hypersport tyres
- Ducati 848/1098 modified subframe
- Ducati 848/1098 carbon fiber fairing
- Ducati 848/1098 modified seat
- Ducati 848/1098 modified fuel tank panels
- Ducati 848/1098 carbon fiber seat cowl
- Hawker 5Ah single batteries
- Supersprox chainwheel and DID 530 chain (15/48 )
- GSXR 750 SRAD '99 rear shock
- selfmade dual 40mm exhaust headers
- GSXR 1000 '08 Akrapovic cans
- GSXR 1000 '08 modified sidestand
- window clutch cover with alloy clutch spring retainers and polished
clutch plate

Thats all I've done so far...

Keep the rubber on the road,
take care and ride save!
Nils

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
October 2009 SVotM - IndustrialGrrrl

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words about my SV "trackfighter".

I bought this 2004 SV650 from a member of this board in the fall of 2007.
It was already painted matte black by the previous owner.

The bike was intended to be my trackbike, but I kept it naked because well, I like it that way!
;)

I want to thank my boyfriend Terry, I couldn't have made the bike what it is without him ;) He laughs every time he sees my SV, as I originally told him I wasn't going to do any mods to it, but keep it as stock as possible....... yeah.. that lasted about a day.

here's the mods I can remember since the bike came into my possession:

2006 GSXR 750 front forks
2006 GSXR 1000 top triple
2003 GSXR front wheel w/ 320mm rotors
2006 R6 brake calipers and master w/ stainless lines
Moto-Wheels clip-ons
Pazzo shorty levers
Koso gauges: DB-01R SPEEDOMETER
home made front wheel speedo mod
TwinShack short version bellypan
BBQ black heat-resistant paint on front header, (will probably do the rest of the headers during this winter)
Gilles rearsets
bike is lowered 1" in back, 1.5" in front (I'm 5 foot, and now I can get one set of toes on the ground).
Hyabusa rear shock w/ 2006 ZX6 spring
Scorpion xtreme street slip on
UFO headlight
wheel rims powdercoated black w/ edging clear
OEM seat cowl
black reflective stripes from Tape Works.
CRG LS mirrors mounted to the barends when ridden on street.

I added the headlight, and left the turnsignals and tail light on for easy transition to "street mode" for when
my Duc isn't cooperating with me. ;) It takes only a few minutes to bring the bike back to "street mode".

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
November 2009 SVotM Winner - VTWINPOWER

WOW,Thank you all,It is a privilege to be part of this group. Especially that it is a 1000.
I want to thank all that spent time looking and voted for the beautiful bikes on the BOTM thread.

I want to thank my beautiful wife for her patience of not being able to park her car in the garage for 3 months and asking me why I was changing a "perfect " bike into this thing.

Well honey here is this "thing".

I wanted change after 2 1/2 years of riding and the usual mods. I spent countless hours looking at pictures of SVs and came up with something a little different. I always liked the Monster exhaust and the naked look. Gold wheels/chain/fork/R1 calipers ...well ...a little bling never hurts. I like to work on a limited budget so I come up with better ideas than just paying for them which is why I did the S2r exhaust system. It took a lot of measuring and achieving clearances of the swing arm,ground and rear set. The wheels took almost 3 months due to unusual rainy weeks where I had to pull them out for a few minutes each day and spray. Then sand them and start the process all over again. Anyways it finally came together and I couldn't be happier. It sounds a little better than stock but not too loud like my old M4 2 into 1.

Again thank you to the SVrider community for this BOTM title.

'06 SV1000S
'05 gsxr forks w/clipons
'04 R1 calipers
'08 gsxr master cylinder
'06 Ducati S2R exhaust
Streetfighter headlight w/integrated signals (Fleabay)
BMC Race filter
Custom exhaust box 2 into 1 into 2 (my design)
OEM seat cowl
Motosliders
carbon fiber front fender
GIPro gear indicator w/TRE
Suspension set by Chad at Kinetics motorsports
Competition werkes Tail tidy
Galfer lines frt & rear black w/gold banjo
RK gold chain
self painted wheels with GrimmSpeed subaru gold
TechSpec tank grips
bar end mirrors (cycle gear)
Renthal grips (the best)
Powder coated:heat shields,rear sets,sprocket,rear brake carrier
BBQ paint:lower triple,clipons,steering damper,rear master,mirrors,lower fairing

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
December 2009 SVotM winner - BuilderBob

Wow. It’s a great honor to be voted SVOTM. It’s a nice feeling to know that other folks appreciate the efforts that went in to resurrecting my SV. Many thanks to everyone who voted for “Agent Orange”

That said, the vote was extremely close for the top three and I really feel that I should be sharing this space with KingsArms and Zachmaster, who obviously put a lot of work into their bikes and garnered a lot of votes. I actually voted for one of them. My congratulations go out to all of the nominees, but especially these two for the amazing fruits of their imaginations and hard work.

Short and sweet. I purchased my bike as a rebuildable wrecked 05 Blue SVS. Almost all of the bodywork was replaced due to damage from the wreck. I painted it myself and added some black vinyl accents. I upgraded the suspension with all new internals from Traxxion Dymanics for the forks and installed a ZX10R rear shock. All of the upgrades are detailed here:

BlingCustom paint & vinyl appliqués
Puig dark-smoke racing screen
EvoTech fender eliminator
eBay hugger
Flush LED side fairing signals
Converted running lights to LED signals
Rear LED signals
Controls/FunctionalWoodcraft rearsets (Thanks Art! - 10bomb motorsports)
TechSpec Snake Skin tank grip pads
EngineK&N air filter
SV1000 intake snorkel
Leo Vince Hi-mount carbon slip-on exhaust (Thanks Art! - 10bomb motorsports)
SuspensionTraxxion Dynamics damper rods, emulators (Ver. 1), .90 springs, 20w fork oil
2007 ZX10R rear shock
BrakesSpeigler SS braided brake lines front & rear (Thanks Art! - 10bomb motorsports)

I hope to add some Pazzo levers soon as well as new tires.

Again, thanks for your votes and congratulations to all of the nominees!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.