Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eh today I finally caved in and went to a dealership (I've been trying to find used svitty or f4i or something forever) here in hawaii looking for an 05 hopefully and got kinda pissed off at these people, they wanted 7029 (yes american dollars) out the door for an 05 yellow sv650s, i thought that was retarded since I keep hearing you guys talking about 5000 dollar OTD brand new 650's...needless to say I walked out on the offer. I was nice to the guy though told him I'd have to look around, I did let him know that was too much for me (I've been saving up forever for this crap and only have a little breathing room with credit)

I know everything is more expensive in this dump (and that's why this guy wanted so much) so I figure maybe I can find a better deal just by getting it shipped here from the mainland, I am wondering what the most recent 05 or 06 prices you guys have heard brand new at a dealership in california preferably since it's closest or anywhere really, just want to get an idea of the situation, or if I should just call back and offer 6500, which I dont know if he'll take, he was being pretty stubborn about the 7 thousand OTD.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I know you really don't want to hear this but get a used bike ...
Everywhere I turn, they are selling SVS for 5100 - 5400 with less than 2000 miles!!!

You will drop it and it won't hurt as much. 

The damn things are so tough, it is not a gamble to get them used.
Be subtle and ask about wheelies, if they say it is a good wheelie bike, walk away.

Look at our For Sale forum right now ... perfect example. 
Hawaii has to have used bikes ...

Dealerships really piss me off ...
I ran into the same thing as you and after the third time went home and called every dealer in a 50 mile
radius and finally found one that wanted to deal. 6060 OTD

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
If you got cold hard cash ... walk in and lay it on the table and turn his game right back at him.

Just riffle it up and play with the cash like it was a deck of playing cards .. see if he lets you walk out! ;D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will a check have the same effect? :p

I am looking on ebay, and I constantly look through the local online used bike sites and the local classifieds (and a little newspaper thing just for cars and bikes) and have yet to find a 650s with a clear title for a good price, I honestly don't know if this guy is gonna bother with me...

I am just crossing my fingers that maybe I can luck out with mainland dealerships. :'( On ebay there are a couple promising ads, one with 3600 miles in nice looking condition with a 4900 buy it now...god I hate this place. I just want more opinions I guess, not sure what to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought an 06 sv 650 a couple months ago. 6k out the door. dealer ready to sell cost is just over $5150. that is what the bike would sell for with $0 profit. then the dealer gets a 3% hold back paid to them in Feb or Aug. Price wasn't bad compaired to everyone I know that bought new 650s in the last couple years.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
slappermouth is selling his blue '05, 6500 miles, a few choice mods, for $4900. In Houston. Shipping can't be more than $1000 (probably way high, but I have no idea), so you'd be at least $1000 ahead.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can't bargain with them you might want to keep an eye out for a used one. I just bought an 05 SV650s with 105 miles on it for $4700 on Craigslist. It was virtually new but someone else took the depreciation hit. It was hard to keep from jumping the gun on a bad deal but I'm glad I waited.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
jrl said:
If you can't bargain with them you might want to keep an eye out for a used one. I just bought an 05 SV650s with 105 miles on it for $4700 on Craigslist. It was virtually new but someone else took the depreciation hit. It was hard to keep from jumping the gun on a bad deal but I'm glad I waited.
That is the point that I am making ... this seems to be the time of the year where the impulse buyers
are getting second thought or are financially over their heads because of Xmas shopping or whatever else.

Prices on almost new bikes are ridiculously low due to depreciation and desperation. Seek the deal ... you will find it!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah im definetly waiting, a few times i have heard of people getting good deals, mostly from friends though...by the way there is only one suzuki dealership on this island, thats another reason they overprice everything. It just sucks so hard I've been playing this used bike hunt game for 2 months now.

6500 is more than I have thats for sure...anyone here got an spare svitty and live in hawaii by any chance :p

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
orangegilly said:
slappermouth is selling his blue '05, 6500 miles, a few choice mods, for $4900.  In Houston.  Shipping can't be more than $1000 (probably way high, but I have no idea), so you'd be at least $1000 ahead.....
forwardair.com from dallas to new jersey is less than $500!!

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
So is your season coming into summer there, or winter? (Is there winter in Hawaii?) If the latter, wait another month and walk in with whatever you want to pay (IN CASH), lay it down, let them smell it... you woulnt leave without the bike. Or make them give you all the gear you will need for the inflated price, and the first service. With only one dealer it will be harder to find used in your area. How long has the bike been there? Get a new one, its like a virgin.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
eh, we dont really have seasons, it gets a little colder and rains more this time around, but it's always warm...and hawaii sucks so dont get jealous.

the bike might have been there for a long time as far as I know...I really don't have that kind of cash, people around here buy bikes for retarded ammounts of money, I don't think this guy will bother with me. I have been waiting for months, guess it's just more time now, and I already have all my gear, ride my friend's bike all the time, but obviously that's pretty shitty.

thanks for all the tips, yellow isn't my favorite color anyways.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tomorrow I'm looking at a 2002 650s for 3500, the guy that owns it is a marine, and from the picture it looks clean as they come so I'm crossing my fingers it works out.

here's the ad:
http://www.islandpreviews.com/main/modules/dsclassifieds/detail.php?ad_id=50732

how much of a difference is the 520 chain/sproket kit over stock? I don't want it jumpy since this is a commuter for the most part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts