Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my brother got a Ninja ZX-6R and I rode it. Wow! I really liked it. It had great control and was very very easy to maneuver. It has a lot more power than my SV but that isn't my concern really, I just like the way it handled.

Is there anything I can do to my '05 SV650S to make it handle similar to a bike such as the Ninja or am I just better off planning on trading in for a Ninja or similar next year? The SV is bone-stock in concerns to suspension and performance.

I'd hate to get rid of the SV so quick but I really really liked the way the Ninja rode. The best way I could describe it was that I felt like I *was* the bike :)

Thanks for any suggestions for mods to the SV!

*****UPDATE*****
It's been several months and 5000 miles since I posted this. I still have the SV and am glad I do. Yesterday I rode my brother's Ninja again and have to say that now I completely understand why people say the SV's are more fun. Because of the I4 in the Ninja you have to really get on it to have fun. With the SV you've got torque and acceleration all the way through. The Ninja has more acceleration and speed when you're getting on it but the SV gets up to 100mph just fine enough for me. I also like not having to worry about the RPM's and what gear I'm in so much.

I also have the SV stock suspension to my liking now and have done some mods (TRE/TPS/Exhaust Restrictor) which has made it more enjoyable. I love my SV :)

*****ANOTHER UPDATE*****
Had Cycle Zoo install springs and emulators up front and a gold valved gsxr shock in back. Love it!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, those two things for sure.

The main things I noticed was that it turned easier and tighter and that when quickly shifting left to right it seemed to flow smoother where my SV seems a bit sluggish moving quickly like that.

What would you recommend to tighten the turns and the dipping?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going on vacation at the end of the week so I'll probably order some parts so they are here when I get back.

In the mean time can adjusting the shock preload help with handling much? It's at factory settings right now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I increased the preload on the front to close to 0 (almost even with the bolt) from a recommendation from a mechanic here based on my size. I moved the rear from 4 to 5. The bike feels like it handles better at least so I'm a step forward.

I plan on doing some mods to the SV later this month. I'm headed to Texas for vacation on Saturday so may order some parts so they are here when I get back.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions... I'm sure I'll be back here in a few weeks when I get my parts in :twisted:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update in first post.

I've since set the preload correctly by measuring instead of just taking recommendations and going on a whim. It seems to ride much better now although I haven't yet put many miles on it with the current settings but I expect them to be great.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just picked my bike up today from Cycle Zoo/SV Race Shop.

I had race tech springs and emulators put up front and a gold valved gsxr shock put in back. I felt the difference right when I sat on it and literally within the first few feet of riding I knew I loved it. It truly does feel like a different bike! Well worth the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts