Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fully aware I should be posting this in the Racing>Suspension forum, but being a noob, I must post it here.

About to buy a wrecked 2nd Gen (probably on Copart) to use solely as my first track bike. I'm not ready to dump $1,000 into suspension but I would like to add to it piece by piece.

MY QUESTION: Should I try to do the Gixxer front end swap on a SV650 or upgrade the springs (and eventually the valves) on a SV650S? I've seen guys do the gixxer swap with the SV650S, but is that really necessary?

Much obliged,
Sea Bass

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Don't know if you're differentiating between the suspension on the sv650 and sv650s, but they're both the same, and would need to be upgraded for a track bike

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
First, you'll be money ahead (by a lot) if you buy a bike that's already track prepped and has the suspension taken care of.
If that's not an option, put springs and oil in the forks and then save every dime you can to buy a good shock with.

·
Registered
392 Posts
First, you'll be money ahead (by a lot) if you buy a bike that's already track prepped and has the suspension taken care of.
If that's not an option, put springs and oil in the forks and then save every dime you can to buy a good shock with.
Solid advice right there for the budget minded.

Correct springs are so important.

Also be weary of a crashed bike. Be sure that the front end is straight. It does not take much of a tip over to bend the forks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts