Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I'll pick up some techron next time I'm out, can the high pressure filter disintegrate like so and block the flow? When I was cleaning it there were tons of little black flakes that were coming out, figured it was just rust that's been worn down from fuel running threw it but seems weird and if the filter can disintegrate, that would be a better explanation. I will check out fuel volume test tonight.

A few more pieces of testing that might help, first I just replaced all the plugs, old ones seemed decent but the tips were all white, I know that means something to do with running hot but not sure how big of a deal that would be, if it's even the case. The new plugs didn't help. When I start it, it jumps to 3.5k rpms and settle down to 1.3k (which is what it usually runs at) pretty quickly, where it creeps down to 1k and stalls all within ~20 seconds or so. So I turned the idle up about 700 RPMs so it would jump to 4.2k, settle down to 2k, and creep down/stall out at 1.7k. In both cases (between 1.3-1k and 2-1.7k RPMs) I can hear an audible clicking sound that sounds like it's coming from the throttle bodies, hard to tell exactly but definitely seems like that area of the bike. It proceeds to stall very quickly after hearing these clicks.

Edit: Just took one more look at it and the sounds is less of a click or more of a thud or a thump sound with a slight whisp. Could really be a misfire, just looked up what they sound like and I'd say its almost a sneeze sound.
Thank you all!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good to know, I will pick up a fuel pressure gauge today (20$ harbor freight) to check pressure and will check the volume as well. If pressure is good then I have a Wix 33032 (https://tinyurl.com/yydbqlvh) coming, I've read it works well as an inline filter that can handle the pressure of the FI and will just need to drill filter bypass hole in the OEM filter. Figured if the OEM filter is bad and needs to be replaced it's not like I can screw it up worse by attempting a $5 solution vs. $300 solution 🤷‍♂️.

Will update later today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just did the fuel volume and pressure test, for the volume test I cut the top off a beer can and ran fuel for only 2 ignition priming cycles (so 6 seconds) and the can was almost overflowing, so ~ 10 oz in 6 seconds seems like a pass to me. However the pressure was a different story, hooked the pressure gauge directly to the output of the fuel pump. There was a very slight leak between the gauge and the adapter threads (common issue from reviews of the gauge) but barely a dribble, don't think it would impact results but on the priming suqeunce it'd only reach 18-20 psi. Unless the priming sequence is supposed to be lower (don't think it should be), that's definitely too low and seems to me indicative of failing fuel pump, I will order a rebuild today.

As far as the filter do you think that could be contributing to the issue? I don't want to try to fix something that isn't broken by putting the new filter in but if you guys think it might be partially to blame I will do it, I have the time for the new pump to come in. It seems to me that the filter is OK as I don't see how it would allow fuel volume to flow good but block high pressure so as of now I'm not going to touch the filter.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
43 Posts
It seems to me that the filter is OK as I don't see how it would allow fuel volume to flow good but block high pressure so as of now I'm not going to touch the filter.
Agree. The filter would not cause the pressure problem. I think you've found the culprit in the pump.

Oh, and if you do go with an inline filter, you probably know this but be sure to use FI type clamps, not the screw-type radiator hose clamps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sounds good, pump should be here tomorrow so I'm hopeful. On second thought, I think I might go with the inline filter to as a preventative measure, especially since the gunk never stopped coming out and I think the filter might be degrating.

And @ReidMcT I've seen lots of people mention the FI clamps but didn't really know what they were so I will make sure to pick some up as well, thank you!

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just wanted to give everyone a final update, everything is better now so thank you all for the help and guidance! I've lot a learned and some very important lessons today 😂

As I was swapping out the old fuel pump for the new, I noticed that there was only 2/3rds of an O-ring on the plug on the fuel pump housing that goes into the high pressure filter 🤦‍♂️ I really hope it wasn't always like that and I broke it off after the fact because I was certainly kicking myself when I saw it but it makes sense since the old fuel pump was fairly new so it would be weird why it would be the part that failed. Anyways put on a new o-ring in, put the new pump in and put everything back together and it ran amazing! Definitely goes to show the importance of always checking the basics and simply paying attention!

The bike has so much more power its insane! Clearly the issue has been going on for the past 1k miles, just to varying degrees and the temp was either causing an exacerbation of the issue or just a coincidence. Before, I only ever got the front wheel up one or two times shifting into second near. Now on launch, shifting into second and shifting into third the wheel pops up without even trying to. So much so the very first time my phone fell out of my pocket (forgot to zip it) at 60+ mph. When I realized it was gone I looped back around to try and find it but all that was left was the case and some internal part, the rest is probably in 100 more pieces. I snapped a photo of the broken o-ring and i was going to attach it but for obvious reasons it is no more. I will not be making that mistake again lol.

I decided against the inline filter for now and if similar issues come back it'll be the first thing I'll do, plus to save a project for later.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Forgot about that ring. Glad you solved it.
Now work on your shifting!

·
MOTORADOR
10,841 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Forgot about that ring. Glad you solved it.
Now work on your shifting!
Without a doubt! Its unlocked so much more to learn and grow into, before I was already feeling like I was getting everything out of the bike, guess you could say it was like a low fuel-pressure starter mode 😂

21 - 32 of 32 Posts