Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory:

I'm mechanically retarded, but my my mechanic is not available for a while (**** race weekends!). I am willing to try things and i have the service manual for my bike.

About 2000Km ago did some maintenance when i bought the bike (new iridium plugs, oil, filter, brake fluid) Did my road test last week and it was pouring rain. Half way through my road test my bike dropped (on occasion) cylinder #1. Running really rough, no power, exhaust smells of gasoline

Cylinder#1 would fire back up if I pushed the bike hard (i had to get up some hills).

up to today:

I found it is a known issue with water getting into the spark plug well and causing shorts.

- I have cleaned the drain hole they plugged in (ran 100+ psi of air through it)
- coated the spark plug boot (the connection) and the spark plug itself in dielectric grease
- Spark plug boot looks ok

Current status:

- Starts up (takes a bit of coaxing with choke and throttle)
- after choke is removed and throttle is removed it runs fine on both cylinders (exhaust smells normal, idle is smooth, cylinder #1 exhaust pipe is hot) for about 45 seconds, then it starts burping chugging, rough idle, gassy exhaust and stalls unless throttle is held a bit open.

Some thoughts that I have and want a 2nd opinion on:

- After work i was going to take it for a little rip around the neighbourhood to see if it just needs to be revved up

- Pull the plug to see the condition / clean it up with a wire brush?

- My mechanic buddy said to check the connection on the coil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I think I'm going to pull the plug tonight to check to see if its fouled from all the gas that was floating in the cylinder and then take it for a drive (albeit not that fast of a drive).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excuse my n00bish-ness, by "cap" you mean the entire wire from coil to the spark plug right?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Plug boot (is this what you mean by "cap"? the black rubber part as indicated by the picture

It is definatly a solid peice (no visible cracks on the bottom or on exterior), very difficult to see up the hole to see what the connection is like up in there

Thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help everyone, I pulled the boot and sprayed 80psi of air through it and BAM! IT HAZ LIFE!!!!!! now its going to rain for the next 7 days...sigh...

Thanks PCguru!!!

No water came out, but meh, I'll take it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts