Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory:

I'm mechanically retarded, but my my mechanic is not available for a while (**** race weekends!). I am willing to try things and i have the service manual for my bike.

About 2000Km ago did some maintenance when i bought the bike (new iridium plugs, oil, filter, brake fluid) Did my road test last week and it was pouring rain. Half way through my road test my bike dropped (on occasion) cylinder #1. Running really rough, no power, exhaust smells of gasoline

Cylinder#1 would fire back up if I pushed the bike hard (i had to get up some hills).

up to today:

I found it is a known issue with water getting into the spark plug well and causing shorts.

- I have cleaned the drain hole they plugged in (ran 100+ psi of air through it)
- coated the spark plug boot (the connection) and the spark plug itself in dielectric grease
- Spark plug boot looks ok

Current status:

- Starts up (takes a bit of coaxing with choke and throttle)
- after choke is removed and throttle is removed it runs fine on both cylinders (exhaust smells normal, idle is smooth, cylinder #1 exhaust pipe is hot) for about 45 seconds, then it starts burping chugging, rough idle, gassy exhaust and stalls unless throttle is held a bit open.

Some thoughts that I have and want a 2nd opinion on:

- After work i was going to take it for a little rip around the neighbourhood to see if it just needs to be revved up

- Pull the plug to see the condition / clean it up with a wire brush?

- My mechanic buddy said to check the connection on the coil

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get a third opinion but mine did the same thing after a rain. Cleared the drainage hole and had the problem you do now. Buddy of mine who's wiser than I (with an '01) said to run it a bit so the last of the moisture evaporates. It didn't take long for the problem to disappear.

Again, get a third opinion since you added the grease before the problem resolved that may change what's needed to fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I think I'm going to pull the plug tonight to check to see if its fouled from all the gas that was floating in the cylinder and then take it for a drive (albeit not that fast of a drive).

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Replace the front spark plug cap. They loosen up over time and don't make good contact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excuse my n00bish-ness, by "cap" you mean the entire wire from coil to the spark plug right?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
What I usually do is spray water down into the sparkplug hole, just fill up my mouth with some and use some thin vinyl tubing. You might have some sort of a hose available. This is to clean out any dirt and grime the wheel might kick up. You don't want any of it falling inside the combustion chamber when you take the plug out. I stick my finger in there and jiggle a bit.

I then clean out as much water as I can with compressed air or whatever you might have available. One trick is to spray air into the drain hole from outside. Then I either pull the plug and clean it and coat it with dielectric grease (as well as the boot), or just run the engine. Seems to work for me.

Oh, and I would recommend getting a fenda extenda, or making your own shield to mount under the radiator or something. Having dielectric grease and a clean drain hole isn't always enough to keep the front cylinder from cutting out, and dirt can quickly clog the drain hoel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
a simple check is wd40.. spray it on the plug cap.. well you can spray the entire wire if you like.. basically if the wires/cap are old and have very fine cracks the spark will ark to from the wire/cap to the cylinder head and not across the spark plug. the WD40 is a fine oil that fills all the cracks and basically seals it all back up again. if it fixes it you need new wire/cap as this fix doesn’t last for long. it's an old mechanics trick from the time when cars/trucks had distributor caps.. "my car won't start when it rains" spray the 40D and it purrs like a kitten.. for a day or two

one last comment.. make sure there is no visable water (pooled) in the hole.. or nothing will work

·
Registered
78 Posts
do not clean plugs with wire brush, you may damage it. I use torch, burn them so that they glow red hot and all the carbon burns away.
try another plug and check cap if its tight and dry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Plug boot (is this what you mean by "cap"? the black rubber part as indicated by the picture

It is definatly a solid peice (no visible cracks on the bottom or on exterior), very difficult to see up the hole to see what the connection is like up in there

Thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
The Plug boot (is this what you mean by "cap"? the black rubber part as indicated by the picture ...

It is definatly a solid peice (no visible cracks on the bottom or on exterior), very difficult to see up the hole to see what the connection is like up in there

Thanks for the input everyone
Yes, the hard plastic piece with the 80° bend. Don't worry about what it looks like, just replace it. They're cheap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this same problem. I had lots of dirt that I cleaned out with electric pressure washer, then dried with compressed air. New front plug and some grease and a new dust cover kept me rolling through winter.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had a ride home a couple weeks ago in the rain- 35 minutes in the most ridiculous down pour i think I have ever seen... just non stop ... main puddles up around and over the front wheel...

I think i've been dryer in a swimming pool...

Well about half way home I was coming to a stop when all the sudden my SV started sounding like a buel blast haha (well not quite but you get the idea).

I let it sit for a day to dry out... didn't help there was way to much water in there...

SO Solution for you- what worked for me... get a can of compressed air, one with the little straw sprayer...

pull the boot of your plug- aim it in there and just blast it... I got like a cup of water spat out from the plug well and it worked fine since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help everyone, I pulled the boot and sprayed 80psi of air through it and BAM! IT HAZ LIFE!!!!!! now its going to rain for the next 7 days...sigh...

Thanks PCguru!!!

No water came out, but meh, I'll take it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts