Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and ladies! ;)
I am having some problem with my sv650s from 2000. I manage to get it ideling fine but as soon as i try giving som gas it dies. Have tried Google for it and found some posts but no one writing if it worked for them.
I have a new airfilter and new sparkplugs on the way. (Will update when the new arrive and i can check the color of it)

From what I have read it could be the carbs, anyone who know what the problem could be? Clogged jets or something else?

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
Yes, dirty carbs and clogged jets. Dying when cracking the throttle is a classic symptom. It is a common problem. Had the bike been sitting a while?

Pay special attention to the pilot jets. After cleaning, hold the jets up to the light to be sure they are clear. Use compressed air to clean all passages.

It is easy to do a partial job and have to pull the carbs again so it is good to be thorough the first time.

Check to be sure the tank is clean and free of rust too.

Welcome to SVR!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, dirty carbs and clogged jets. Dying when cracking the throttle is a classic symptom. It is a common problem. Had the bike been sitting a while?

Pay special attention to the pilot jets. After cleaning, hold the jets up to the light to be sure they are clear. Use compressed air to clean all passages.

It is easy to do a partial job and have to pull the carbs again so it is good to be thorough the first time.

Check to be sure the tank is clean and free of rust too.

Welcome to SVR!
Thanks allot buddy!
Just one question cleaning the carbs i have found quite detailed guides for but for the tank how would you recommend going about?
Thanks again! 😁

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,165 Posts
or the tank how would you recommend going about
Remove your petcock and fuel sensor and plug the holes. Clean and rinse thoroughly with soap and water. Fill with diluted phosphoric acid and shake like crazy. Add full strength acid, shake like crazy, drain. Let it sit and dry for 48 hours. Line with POR15.

Reactions: TeeRiver

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,165 Posts
Not sure about the soap and water for anything having to do with the fuel system… At least without that VERY thorough cleaning afterwards.
Worked perfectly for me when I was in the heat of battle fighting fuel delivery problems. The key is the phosphoric acid, which cleans all the crap out of the tank and leaves behind some rust protection (SVR member bmetz went into detail about the acid some time back). Then the POR15 creates a hard protective coating in the tank. Very slick.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,165 Posts
Oh, and the soap should be Dawn. It cuts through the grease.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts