Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! New to the forum, and need some help!

I've got a 2007 SV650S, near 25k miles, has a power commander, and the muffler is gutted. ( was bought that way ) . Recently had the throttle bodies synced, valves checked and adjusted, and new spark plugs put in.

The issue to me seems to be more of an intermittent thing. During my ride/drive regardless of speed, or gear, when I increase the throttle the bike seems to lag for maybe 2-5 seconds before it finally corrects its self and MOVES! To me it seems like wet distributor cap on a car, a lot of noise but no go. This one's got me stumped.

Not sure what else to check on the bike. Gone over it several times, but maybe there is something I'm missing. Bike is all stock besides the power commander and gutted muffler.

If anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Things I'd look at are PowerCommander's maps and TPS adjustment. Lean conditions can cause serious throttle lag or flat spots, and either of those things being off will cause a grumpy v-twin very easily by creating lean spots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flaerion. I have the TPS adjusted pretty close to where it needs to be. ( I think ) As for the fuel map, I'll go out and richen it up a bit. Was pretty rich before, guess I leaned it out too much. Thank you again. I'll let you know how it goes after the adjustment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again Flaerion. I did add more fuel and seems to pull much better without that GIANT flat spot it had. I'll look into having a custom tune done for it. Only $88 for an hour on the dyno. Hopefully this doesn't set me back from my 60mpg goal :]

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Glad things are moving in the right direction. Though since you only ballparked your fuel mixtures, you should keep an eye on your oil level just to make sure you don't have a bore wash down situation taking place if part of the fuel map is overly rich. If you say it runs a lot better, you likely aren't swimming in fuel, but it is wise to verify.

As far as your fuel economy goes, post tune, I picked up 2mpg around town (use of higher gears due to more stable low end torque) and kept the same highway mileage of around 50mpg. I can likely get more out of a gallon, but with 75.5WHP on tap... its hard to stay out of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil level seems fine. Ill go check again just to be safe. I check it almost weekly to keep tabs on it. I did add more fuel just by using the buttons on the power commander(no laptop at home) Took a drive up north the next day and it did great, mileage was a tad lower than normal though(54mpg) Usually get around 57. Best was 59.

I did load up a different MAP onto it. Leaned out the 2-10% TPS side (for mileage purposes) and made it richer from 20%-100% TPS at about 3k rpm to 6k rpm. Pulls much better, and there isn't a lean spot even in this heat. Would definitely like to get it tuned correctly though. Just shootin in the dark doesn't always give the best results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess there wouldn't be an over saturation of fuel with the MAPS that you download for the power commander? Doesn't seem they would make a product that wouldn't function properly.

I just checked oil level, does seem a bit higher than what it was at when I changed it. Its over the F mark now.....Maybe when I used the buttons on the unit instead of the laptop, it caused a little over saturation.

I'll change the oil this weekend just to be on the safe side. The bike is running a standard MAP from the website that I adjusted myself. No fuel #'s are higher than what the initial MAP represents.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I guess there wouldn't be an over saturation of fuel with the MAPS that you download for the power commander? Doesn't seem they would make a product that wouldn't function properly.

I just checked oil level, does seem a bit higher than what it was at when I changed it. Its over the F mark now.....Maybe when I used the buttons on the unit instead of the laptop, it caused a little over saturation.

I'll change the oil this weekend just to be on the safe side. The bike is running a standard MAP from the website that I adjusted myself. No fuel #'s are higher than what the initial MAP represents.
Is your oil dark? And are you checking your oil level on level ground (not on your side stand)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oil was checked on level ground. Its a little dark, but I'm sure it's from its age. Was changed last month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts