Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm considering buying the SV650. I really like the upright riding position versus the lean on the sport model. My one adjustment on the SV650, would be to have the SV650s' headlights. Is there any way that this could be done, or would I have to purchase aftermarket headlights? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Afterthought: Someone below also said that I could change out the peg and handlebar on an SV650s with that from a SV650. Has anyone done this or known someone that has done this? I really want to maintain an upright riding position. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you mean putting on the whole upper fairing or just the lights? Anything is possible, all it takes is knowledge and work. If you mount only the lights and not the fairing to go with it, it's gonna look kinda ratty unless you find some kind of cowling to cover up all the ugly stuff hanging everywhere. I suggest going aftermarket. Some of the guys here have some pretty slick looking dual headlight configurations on thier SVnakeds.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I mean including the fairings. Would that be something I can purchase from the manufacturer. Should I go aftermarket because it tends to cost less?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Might be cheaper to buy a SV650S and put the sv650 pegs and handlebars on that.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? I can actually do that? Where could I go to get this done, any internet sources that talks about that or message board posts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Theres a fair amount of threads about it...but that can be a pain in the ass to find. For the pegs, you can simply replace the rearsets with the ones from the naked. Oftenly people sell them in the For Sale section, keep an eye on that area. Or even look to trade for SVS rearsets, so it may cost ya nothing. For handlebars, its a lil bit more tricky. If you want handlebars, you'll have to replace alot, but you could get the same position but buying Sunrisers, watch the ad banner at the top of the screen, there should be an advertisement for them, all they do is jack up the height of the clip-ons on the SVS. Essentially it should be close if not the same position as the SV.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In general, I believe the standard SV650 is actually $500 less than the sporty version. So wouldn't it be more cost efficient to change out the headlight, cowling, and fairings instead of the handlebar and pegs? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Summer26 said:
In general, I believe the standard SV650 is actually $500 less than the sporty version. So wouldn't it be more cost efficient to change out the headlight, cowling, and fairings instead of the handlebar and pegs? Thanks.
I'd still say no. Pegs can be gotten for free if you trade them, or for not that much from someone getting rid of theirs (dont buy brand new in other words), now handlebars, do you want specefically handlebars like on a dirtbike? Or just the riding position they give? For very lil money you can raise the clip-ons on the sportier SVS to the height of a naked's handlebars. That 500$ difference would really only occur on new SVs, used ones the pricing is usualy less than 500 of a difference.

Edit: There is alot more involved than just changing out the headlight cowling and fairing. There is the fairing bracket, dash plastic, under plastic also, problems with brake lines and cable lengths (not long enough) and the big one, the gauges are not interchangeable without modifacation. Stock handlebars on the SV also will collide with the SVS fairing unless you put lower bars on it. All in all, costwise and difficulty, buying an SVS and making it more comfortable is the best way to go.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I was in the same boat when I bought mine.

I prefered the riding position of the naked, but I prefered the look and the wind protection of the S model. I didnt really mind the position of the rearsets on the S, but I definately did not like the low-down handlebars.

Your first option would be to buy the S version, and buy some different handlebars. There are several out there, the good ones that come to mind are Convertibars, Helibars, and SunRisers. Do a google search, you'll find them.

Your other option would be to buy a naked version, and put an aftermarket windscreen or fairing on it. Again, there's lots of stuff out there, do a google search.

If you've just GOT to have a naked with dual headlights, you can do that, too. The aftermarket has been kind to us...these are pretty popular bikes, and it's pretty easy to find just about anything you want to do on the aftermarket.

If you want to know what I did: My dealership had an S model in that snazzy yellow, and I really wanted yellow...so I went with the S, thinking that if I wanted to later, I could raise the handlebars. After getting some miles under my belt, I'm getting more and more used to the low clipon handlebars, and they dont bother me at all now.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Summer26 said:
Well...it depends on how far you want to take it. If you buy the standard and just put a relatively inexpensive front fairing/windshield on it, you would definately come out cheaper doing that.

This one is $180
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/730/202/

If you want to buy a naked and actually put the factory S fairing on it...bologna is right. It's probably a much more extensive job than you want to get into.

Handlebar raising options for the S model vary...you can get by for about $150 for the inexpensive sunrisers ( http://www.cliponrisers.com/ ). The Convertibars kit is around $500, IIRC ( http://www.convertibars.com/ ).

If the rearsets on the S REALLY bother you, aftermarket ones are relatively expensive...but you could get the naked's rearsets from someone on ebay or in the for-sale section of this forum less expensively.

To be honest, I have a feeling that if you get the S, you'll grow used to the rearsets, though...I got used to them really quickly. You might still want some handlebar risers, though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi gahdzilla, evilbologna, and godzilla128. Thanks for all your advice. I think gahdzilla might be right, I've never ridden on a rearset bike which accounts for my hesitation. I will actually mount the SV650s and see how I feel about it.

Are the SV650s rearsets more back, forward or equivalent to other sports bike?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts