Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

Back in '99 I owned a ZX6R, was my first bike, then in 2001 I crashed it. Totalled the bike, broke my wrist, and slight concusion (thank god for helmets). Lately Ive been wanting to get back on a bike, even went to a few dealerships and sat on some bikes. After sitting on them I wasnt sure if I could ride again. Well last week my brother in law brought his '05 SV650s over and let me take it out for bout half hour. Needless to say I returned from the ride with a ear to ear grin.

I'd never ridden a vtwin before and the low redline kinda threw me. But overall the bike felt great, I could even touch both feet pretty much flat. After finding out that I could get full plastics for it , and the fact that my bro-inlaw said his insurance was cheaper for the sv then would be a 600cc ss, I've decided that I'd look for an 05. Something about the black frame just makes the 05 look better.

After reading some threads on this site Im getting worried that the 650s wouldnt be the best choice of bike. I'll be riding 30mile one way to work and back daily. Probably 27 of those miles are highway. If I buy a 650s will I be on the highway wishing that I bought a 636, R6.???? I'm not really looking for something like my old ninja that will easily hit 150 everyday, just something that has the get up get out the way speeds needed to survive on texas highways.

thx for any replies.

Tim

·
Registered
684 Posts
if your gonna be on the highway alot the s is better then the naked for obvious reasons. everyone here is gonna tell you the bike is great....thats a given. you should get some more time back on his bike and it will become obvious at how wonderful the bike is. also its good to see someone doing the research before buying. good luck hope you get a bike!

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
I commute 40 miles (20 miles each way) every day. Whether I choose to drone in on the freeway (fastest), meander in on a 2-lane country road, or thar through the twisties on a paved cow trail (the most direct and dangerous and fun route), the SV is perfect. I wouldn't want to put in a 600+ mile day on a routine basis, but for the commute you describe you should have nothing but grins.

Oh, and if you want easily-altered ergonomics, look into a standard model. You can easily choose from an endless assortment of tubular bars, and even a few different varieties of clip-ons if you so desire.

Welcome to the board

Bill

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why would you think the 636 or a R6 would be better for the highway than a SV? To me that is almost laughable. I see it the other way around. As for which to choose it sounds like you leaning towards the S model because you want full fairings. Thats fine for cosmetics and all but the non S model (AKA naked) is more comfortable on the ergos. As long as you are below 75mph there is barely any difference (at least to me) in wind protection between the S and non S.

G

·
Another vote in favor of the SV (surprise, surprise!).

I do about a hundred freeway miles a day on my naked and it's never lacking for power. IMO, it's better bike for gridlock than some of the I4s and has no problem at all cruising at ludicrous speed when necessary. Don't worry, you won't get run over!

:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
ninja's are nice, but the low cut windshields drive me crazy! I low my svs and it's taller windshield. I ride mine alot on the freeway, and have no problem when it comes to traffic and passing. Hope you get one!!!!
;D

·
Registered
500 Posts
This topic cracks me up. In typical and ever non-typical Hwy use a SV will get the hell out of anyones way way quicker than you need it to.......MOST ANY BIKE WILL. When where you last on the Hwy when some missle of a car came screaming up behind you at 150mph or something? You make it sound like whatever Hwy you ride you will be dodgeing missles. My bike just like everyones bike on here will easily jump from a Hwy cruise speed to 120+mph quicker than the thought of hhuuummm should I have gotten the R6 could jump into your head. How long since you have ridden? I think you have forgot how head and shoulders above the rest a bike is in the area of acceleration when it comes to most any cage on the road. Unless you have allot of wannabe F1 drivers in your commute driveing Porsche C-GTs Ford GTs or Ferrari Enzos you will be just find buddy. Get the SV you will thank us for it later. Plus it sounds like you already almost made yourself a grease spot on a I4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

How long since you have ridden?
Besides the 30 or 40 minutes on the sv havent ridden since 01. So ya its been awhile

Why would you think the 636 or a R6 would be better for the highway than a SV?
Not ever having owned a vtwin before I have no experience with these motors and a couple people mentioned something about rpms being higher then would be on a I4. Just didnt want to get a bike that sounds like its screaming for mercy while going down the highway at 70 or 80mph.

When where you last on the Hwy when some missle of a car came screaming up behind you at 150mph or something?
Was trying to explain that I dont need the higher speeds that a I4 would give me vs. the SV

·
Registered
397 Posts
man ZX-6r for a first bike??? ouch...musta been hard loosing it. You'll be fine on the highway, I ride my 02 svs on the highway all the time and it handles fine. You don't need to be going 100+mph on the highway anyways...I usually cruise around 80ish. Going that fast on the highway is just asking for a ticket or death really...on a bike its ALOT more noticeable when your speeding because chances are, you'll be weaving in and out of traffic. Just take it easy man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too ride my SV Naked about 20 miles each way on the freeway daily, I think it must the be perfect commuter. Decent Mileage, light and easy to handle, and plenty of performance. In the summer I have lower bars, rearset pegs, bar-end mirrors, etc and have my sweet little cafe racer, while in the winter, I put the stock bars and pegs back on, bolt on a nice widsheild, V-strom handgards, and a trunk and I've got the ultimate winter commuter...I think you'd be hard pressed to find another bike that's this flexible - especially for the money.

Welcome back to the riding world...good luck with the hunt.

EG

·
Registered
330 Posts
nosvyet said:
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Besides the 30 or 40 minutes on the sv havent ridden since 01. So ya its been awhile

Not ever having owned a vtwin before I have no experience with these motors and a couple people mentioned something about rpms being higher then would be on a I4.  Just didnt want to get a bike that sounds like its screaming for mercy while going down the highway at 70 or 80mph.

Was trying to explain that I dont need the higher speeds that a I4 would give me vs. the SV
I run around 5K on both my SV (V-twin) and my ST1100 (V-4) at an indicated 80MPH. Gearing determines RPM not engine design.  They are both just hitting there power at 80, anything below and I consider it loafing.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
nosvyet said:
Not ever having owned a vtwin before I have no experience with these motors and a couple people mentioned something about rpms being higher then would be on a I4.  Just didnt want to get a bike that sounds like its screaming for mercy while going down the highway at 70 or 80mph.
Find better-informed sources of advice.

All things being equal, a V-twin will generally turn fewer rpms at speed than and equivalent-displacement I-4. Fours are generally tuned for peak horsepower and take advantage of their larger valve area-per-displacement ratio, which translates to making their power at higher rpms. Twins are generally tuned to make less peak horsepower but over a greater rpm range, again translating to more power being available at lower rpms.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts