Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow SV owners. I've seen alot of debate on what oil you should use on the SV650S. I went to Walmart today to get some oil and the book specifically says SF 0r SG, although last year I used Castrol GTX 10W-40 in the bike and it ran fine.

This year I went to get more and was wondering if anyone has used it. It's API service SM, SL, SJ, SH The one that says "Unique Anti-Sludge Formula" on it. I know the manual states It can be SJ or SH if it's MA in JASO.

Any guidance would be appreciated, feel free to email me - again, I used this oil last year and the clutch didn't slip, bike ran fine. I don't race it and change the oil often.

Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Normally I'd say search... but for this one, open your freakin' eyes man. There is a thread stickied to the top of this forum category titled:

FAQ: What oil for my SV?

Also, read the directions for the FAQ forum:

Frequently Asked Questions - Forum How To's, Bike Maintenance. The answer forum. To ask questions, go to the WORKSHOP FORUMS.

I don't mean to harp on ya, but the forum is a useful resource; posting all willy-nilly without searching or checking to make sure the topic hasn't already been posted makes the forum cluttered and less useful. The search function sucks because the database is cluttered with duplicate and incomplete threads.

To answer your question, Castrol GT-X is fine. That is the oil that I've used in my bike for many thousands of miles. Good preventative maintenance (like changing your oil and filter) is far more important than the brand of oil you use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome.

In terms of the search, you said it - it stinks. To assume that I didn't spend alot of time researching oil before asking on this forum is ignorant. If you type oil in the search it doesn't even come up with any matches. If I was certain of the answer to my question, I wouldn't have came here to ask - so then I ask you, what is the purpose of the forum to begin with if someone has a question and because you kindly took a moment to answer it, then it's my fault the forums are cluttered.

The very existance of these forums depends on people posting on them, I am sure the owner loves people coming to it. Since it's free then, what would be the motive for running the board in the first place? It really should be the desire to want to help fellow riders - and if that means answering a question to someone who isn't an expert on the forum layouts, then that should be acceptable without having to insult someone's intelligence.

So..
with my penance stare I say

"Your soul is stained with the blood of innocent, feel their pain, look into my eyes."

·
Registered
161 Posts
lol. creep. he didn't insult your intelligence, just your eyesight.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
what is the purpose of the forum to begin with if someone has a question and because you kindly took a moment to answer it, then it's my fault the forums are cluttered.
The purpose of the forum is to conveniently organize a wealth of information. If you take a look at the FAQ forums, they are cluttered and disorganized because many members don't read the posting guidelines and post questions that have been answered many times over - resulting in duplicate and scattered threads.

You don't get results for the term "oil" because the admin or the creators of this board software have deemed a 3 character search term too short. I think that's a bit ridiculous, but there's not much I can do about that. Trust me, you don't want to see what comes up if you were able to search for "oil."

The very existance of these forums depends on people posting on them, I am sure the owner loves people coming to it. Since it's free then, what would be the motive for running the board in the first place? It really should be the desire to want to help fellow riders - and if that means answering a question to someone who isn't an expert on the forum layouts, then that should be acceptable without having to insult someone's intelligence.
If your intelligence has been insulted, then maybe this isn't the place for you. Lighten up, open your eyes, and realize the FAQ forums are not for posting questions. Click on over to the workshop if you do have questions; people will gladly answer them them there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's cool, no hard feelings man. The oil worked out well. I was glad to get out riding again this year, it was a great day around these parts on Saturday, got on the thruway and opened the bike up. Also feels good to save on gas, beats the Jeep. 8 Bucks will pretty much get me to work all month.:rolleyes: Stickin' it to the man I say.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
That's cool, no hard feelings man. The oil worked out well. I was glad to get out riding again this year, it was a great day around these parts on Saturday, got on the thruway and opened the bike up. Also feels good to save on gas, beats the Jeep. 8 Bucks will pretty much get me to work all month.:rolleyes: Stickin' it to the man I say.
Glad you're out on the bike. My SV is still in a few pieces and confined to the garage.

A lot of people are buying bikes to save on gas, which makes absolutely no sense to me. It'd take a long time to make up the money you spend on a bike just driving it for gas savings... And then you have to consider the rest of the maintenance - tires every 10,000 miles, valve clearance checks and adjustments, chain cleaning and lube, the list goes on. Driving a sport standard is certainly more expensive than driving the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i don't know if I would run out and get a bike specifically for that reason, but in my case it works out nice because I have one. the Jeep takes 20 bucks a week in gas to get to work. The bike I fill up for about 8 bucks and it lasts a month. So that's a potential savings of 72 bucks a month if I ride the bike. Then I can buy more beer and fish to cook on the grill.

Why is your bike apart, what are you doing to it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.