Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just hit 600 miles on my 2005 SV650S, woohoo, now its time for service. Should I do it myself or should I take it to the dealer? I heard all thats needed is an oil change? What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Depends on how comfortable you are working on your own bike. I did mine. Change your oil...lube and ajd the chain if needed and check over the bike for anything loose,leaking,ect. If you arnt sure....take it somewhere. If you can do it...save yourself money and do it yourself

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would take it in for the initial 600 mile service at a minimum. You want to make sure that the bike is throughly looked over by a Suzuki tech, and it gets documented for warranty purposes. Most people do their own maintenance after that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
take it to the dealer and keep all the reciepts for maintenance done. that way if you ever have to part with your beloved SV (if god smites you) you have all the maintenance history to make whoever gets the almighty SV next (God smiled on them) very very very happy.
;)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
phelix said:
Depends on how comfortable you are working on your own bike. I did mine. Change your oil...lube and ajd the chain if needed and check over the bike for anything loose,leaking,ect. If you arnt sure....take it somewhere. If you can do it...save yourself money and do it yourself
Doesn't say if you did a valve inspection - which is part of the first service and easily THE most important step.

If you're comfortable doing work on your bike - keeping the receipts and using a service manual/Clymer manual will do just fine. If not - going to the dealer is money well spent.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I brought mine in even though I am comfortable doing my own wrench work... 10k miles with no problems.

I'd rather be safe than sorry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ruefus, you're almost always right, but no valve check required at 600 miles, at least for the first gen bikes. Not called for til 15,000 miles.

Bill K.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ruefus said:
Doesn't say if you did a valve inspection - which is part of the first service and easily THE most important step.

If you're comfortable doing work on your bike - keeping the receipts and using a service manual/Clymer manual will do just fine. If not - going to the dealer is money well spent.
Nope. no valve check called for. If the dealer trys to sell you on it, that just extra profit (if they even do the valve check when you pay for it)

The 600 mile service is a glorified oil change. Change the filter, oil, adjust the chain and go over the chassis and check for loose bolts. Thats about it really. I did my own with the help of the service manual. Save you reciept for the oil and filter and start a maintence log. You want continual proof that keep up stuff on the bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It sounds like alot of people are nervous about their services. No dealer can void your warranty because you didnt bring it to them. As long as there is no sign of neglect or misuse of the bike they cant. I had one warranty item in the first year and it was never questioned nor was my service history. I think that if someone is halfway mechanically inclined they should learn to work on their own bike...my own opinion of course. Thats ok tho....people taking their vehicles in is what keeps up techs employed. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts