Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
When I'm downshifting and coming to a stop my bike stalls. This usually happens going from 3rd to 2nd gear.
Im certain it is a clutch safety switch issue.

It has been bypassed as I can start the bike without having to pull the lever in.
How do I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shouldn’t be, especially if it’s been bypassed. It would happen any time you pulled the clutch, otherwise. What happens if you just pull the clutch in and let it coast down to idle? It’s usually the sudden loss of air or fuel that causes the engine to die when throttling down.

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
Stalling on the gen2 (2007+ years only) SV650 with a bypassed clutch switch is a known issue.

Do the clutch switch wires (dual Black/Yellow) still come up to the clutch perch?

Is the plug still there?

Reactions: Para

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stalling on the gen2 (2007+ years only) SV650 with a bypassed clutch switch is a known issue.

Do the clutch switch wires (dual Black/Yellow) still come up to the clutch perch?

Is the plug still there?
Yes it does! Those wires are there. They were taped in. There's is no switch. Seems like they unplugged the switch. I'll take a picture tomorrow morning and post here. So you have a better understanding.

Do you know if I can buy this switch from somewhere? Or any other solution?

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
You need this plug at the end of the dual Yellow/Black wires. Then take a look under the clutch perch, good chance the switch itself is still there. If you do need the switch, it is $17 from the dealer. This is an easy fix.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have those two wires sticking out (they are taped in together as seen in the picture) but I don't have the switch that connects to it.
If I connect those two wires to the plug without the switch would it work?
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

Gas Automotive design Machine tool Machine Auto part

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need this plug at the end of the dual Yellow/Black wires. Then take a look under the clutch perch, good chance the switch itself is still there. If you do need the switch, it is $17 from the dealer. This is an easy fix.
View attachment 61263
Do you have a part number for this switch? I called a local Suzuki dealer. They said they don't have switch (one you have pointed out with a white arrow) and it's part of the wiring harness. So I'm wondering where I can find that part?

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Do you have a part number for this switch? I called a local Suzuki dealer. They said they don't have switch (one you have pointed out with a white arrow) and it's part of the wiring harness. So I'm wondering where I can find that part?
From Ron Ayers:
SWITCH ASSY, CLUTCH

37560-31F00

Retail Price: $18.05

Your Price: $14.62
Font Aircraft Automotive exterior Parallel Airplane

#8. Got to their website.
RonAyers fiche

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Thank you! Is there any other website like this I should be looking into?
I like the Ron Ayers site simply because of the layout, navigation is more intuitive than others. All of the sites (ayers, partzilla, etc.) have the same OEM parts. After locating the part I need on ayers. I shop for price and service. Most are in the same ball park, and I love Ron Ayers' service, so I am pretty loyal to them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the Ron Ayers site simply because of the layout, navigation is more intuitive than others. All of the sites (ayers, partzilla, etc.) have the same OEM parts. After locating the part I need on ayers. I shop for price and service. Most are in the same ball park, and I love Ron Ayers' service, so I am pretty loyal to them.
Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
Geo's got you covered. (y)

The missing plug is not sold separately, only comes as part of the entire wiring harness. Hopefully, Mad8 can snip one off a derelict harness for you. Solder the B/Y wires then cover with heat-shrink tubing. Plug back onto your existing switch, you will be back in business.

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geo's got you covered. (y)

The missing plug is not sold separately, only comes as part of the entire wiring harness. Hopefully, Mad8 can snip one off a derelict harness for you. Solder the B/Y wires then cover with heat-shrink tubing. Plug back onto your existing switch, you will be back in business.
Thank you!
If I get a harness do I still have to solder the wires and cover with a heat shrink? I'm assuming if I have a harness it would be a simple plug and play with the wires in?
I'm so new to this, so trying to get all the info as much as I can.

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
You do not want the whole harness. You just need the little plug with the two B/Y wires. This is the plug the previous owner cut off. Soldered the new plug back to the two bare B/Y wires on your bike. Push the new plug back onto the existing switch. Done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You do not want the whole harness. You just need the little plug with the two B/Y wires. This is the plug the previous owner cut off. Soldered the new plug back to the two bare B/Y wires on your bike. Push the new plug back onto the existing switch. Done.
Gotcha! Thank you. Will let you once this all set and done.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
If you're not familiar with soldering, YouTube has a wealth of videos covering it. Get a cheapo soldering iron and some solder. Then practice a few times on spare wire until you're comfortable with the process. It's a skill any shade tree mechanic should know, and I find it oddly satisfying.

Oh, and don't skip the shrink wrap. If you cut corners with simple electrical tape, you're going to strand yourself eventually.

Reactions: TeeRiver

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're not familiar with soldering, YouTube has a wealth of videos covering it. Get a cheapo soldering iron and some solder. Then practice a few times on spare wire until you're comfortable with the process. It's a skill any shade tree mechanic should know, and I find it oddly satisfying.

Oh, and don't skip the shrink wrap. If you cut corners with simple electrical tape, you're going to strand yourself eventually.
Thank you for all that info Geo! Truly appreciate that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts