Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I was riding my 2001 sv650n down the highway and when I made a turn and began accelerating the chain snapped at the connecting link. I had a trailer pick me and my bike up and the next day I went off to buy new sprockets and a chain. Installation of this kit went very smooth and as I was at work my dad took it for a test ride around the block. Thing ran fine. I get home from work and suddenly the bike won't start. With persistence we got the bike to run (with some loud backfires and inconsistent idle rpm have you.) Completely unsure of what has happened I began testing things to see if they still worked. When the bike is in gear and the clutch is pulled in the bike won't move. I am a complete novice to most things mechanical but would like to know what is going on with my baby. Any insight would be appreciated... :ears:

·
Registered
35 Posts
It will be slightly more difficult to move when in gear (engine not running) and clutch pulled than when not. Look to see if the clutch mechanism (directly in front of front sprocket) was damaged by the flying chain that came off the bike. Although this shouldn't affect the bikes ability to start up when in neutral, it may not be disengaging enough to roll freely when in gear. You may have two smaller problems causing trouble at the same time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch mechanism appears to be fine.

This is before the sprocket / chain swap the new chain and sprocket don't look THAT horrid.
Could the failure to start just be an unrelated issue with my electrical system? The engine will turn over just wont crank and start running. The tach shows 500 rpm when attempting to start.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Check the sidestand switch. If there is an issue with it you won't get spark, just cranking of the engine. To be clear with terminology, engine turning over and cranking are the same thing. Not firing is not starting. Pull a plug and check for spark while cranking. The sidestand safety switch interrupts power to the coils if the bike is in gear with the stand down. The bike will start if in gear with the stand up and the clutch pulled in. Is the neutral light on when in neutral? The bike should roll in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The neutral light is on when in neutral and rolls just fine when in neutral. When the bike is in gear with the clutch pulled in the bike does not roll. I have attempted to start the bike in both neutral and in first (with clutch pulled.) No luck on either attempt. The plugs were changed three-ish weeks ago, seems weird that they wouldn't be sparking so soon.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You said your dad had no issues with the bike when he tried it out before you. I'm wondering if maybe after he started it, possibly when putting the stand up, the switch got damaged. (not saying he did it...but it could have been on it's way out of commission).

I'm with RMAN and would start there and see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
try the old spark plugs(or new ones) first
if it was the saftey switches it wouldnt crank over on the starter i would of thought
my bikes only ever fowled a plug when others have rode it

were you using a rivet or clip joining link when the chain failed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was using a clip link when the chain failed. My front sprocket had slightly bent teeth which i think was the culprit.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
try the old spark plugs(or new ones) first
if it was the saftey switches it wouldnt crank over on the starter i would of thought
my bikes only ever fowled a plug when others have rode it

were you using a rivet or clip joining link when the chain failed?
The clutch switch prevents cranking of the starter motor and engine, the sidestand switch prevents power getting to the coils, but allows the starter motor to crank.

·
Registered
688 Posts
tip sensor? Not sure if the first gens had these- but i did a shock swap and moved the **** thing not know what it was... didn't stand it upright and was banging my head on the wall for an hour trying to figure out why the bike wouldn't start with a new shock LOL

·
Registered
274 Posts
The clutch switch prevents cranking of the starter motor and engine, the sidestand switch prevents power getting to the coils, but allows the starter motor to crank.
I'm pretty sure on the 2nd Gen that the sidestand switch prevents cranking as well. Guess this is one of those small differences between Gens?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
tip sensor? Not sure if the first gens had these- but i did a shock swap and moved the **** thing not know what it was... didn't stand it upright and was banging my head on the wall for an hour trying to figure out why the bike wouldn't start with a new shock LOL
No TOS for the 1gen.

I don't know about 2nd gens, but my Triumph's sidestand switch will allow the motor to crank but not fire. Not allowing the motor to crank is the clutch switch's purpose for most bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts